Contact
 
 
County
Midland
Region
Big Bend
Population
2010 Census - 111,147
2000 Census - 94,996
Nearby
Towns
Midland, Texas
null
Midland Texas History:
In 1881, the Texas and Pacific Railroad established the Midway railroad station and a section house midway between El Pallas and Dallas. Over the next two years ranchers began moving into the area. The Midland post office was established in 1884. Also that year an Ohio real estate company purchased land, dug water wells and sold town lots. In 1885, Midland became the county seat of newly formed Midland County. By 1890, the city had become a regional financial center, and one of the most important cattle shipping centers in Texas. By 1905, Midland was known as "the Windmill Town" because almost every house and a windmill water pump. Midland incorporated in 1906. Between 1905 and 1909, Midland suffered three major fires. By 1910, the city had established a water system and a volunteer fire department. In 1915, the Midland and Northwestern Railroad built a line between Seminole and Midland. A severe drought caused many county residents to leave during the late 1910s. The 1920s Permian Basin oil boom caused rapid growth as thousands of investors and workers arrived in the area. By 1929, thirty six oil companies had offices in Midland; by 1950 it had 215. In 1929, Midland’s sale of its old courthouse for one dollar was publicized in Ripley's "Believe It Or Not," a new courthouse was completed by the next year. In 1930 Midland had 5,484 residents. The Midland Army Air Force Base operated between 1942 and 1946. The facility is now the Midland Airport. By 1945, Midland had over 14,000 residents. Today Midland is the financial and administrative center for the Permian Basin, is a supply and shipping center for area ranchers and farmers, and supports the oil, chemicals and plastics industries. There are no lakes or rivers around Midland, but it is said to have the largest bass fishing club in Texas because fishermen band together in groups to plan bass fishing trips. The Midland Draw (a stream) runs through the northern section of town. A small portion of Midland is located in Martin County. Midland is located at the intersections of IH-20, SH 158 and SH 349, 72 miles northeast of Wink, 65 miles northeast of Kermit, 20 miles northeast of Odessa, 45 miles southeast of Andrews, 117 miles slightly southwest of Lubbock, 56 mikles slightly southwest of Lamesa, 79 miles southwest of Colorado City, 40 miles southwest of Big Spring, 37 miles northwest of Garden City, 55 miles slightly northwest of Rankin, and 32 miles northeast of Crane, Texas. 
 
Permian Basin Vietnam Veterans Memorial:
This outdoor memorial features the “Last Dust Off” statue, a ten foot wall listing each of the Permian Basin counties and those who were listed as killed or MIA, and a five sided pentagon featuring the plaques of the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines and Coast Guard. Hidden lights illuminate four flags (United States, Texas, and two- POW/MIA) 24 hours a day. The memorial is located at 9900 Wright Drive at the Midland International Airport.    
 
Midland County Courthouse, 1930:
The courthouse was designed in Art Deco style by Voelcker and Dixon. A 1974 remodeling by Dixon and Staley altered the style to modern. The 2010 Midland County census was 136,872. (432) 688-4310. 500 North Loraine Street.
 
Midland County Courthouse, 1905:
When the 1905 Midland County Courthouse was demolished to make room for the1930 courthouse, the stones were used to build two houses several blocks north of the courthouse square. One of these houses still exists at the corner of Michigan and Colorado. It has been painted yellow but some of the paint has worn away leaving the original red Pecos sandstone exposed. For years, county officials have unsuccessfully tried to purchase the stones from the owner in order to build a replica of the gazebo that was once located on the courthouse grounds.
 
Chinese Pagoda:
The pagoda at Beal Park was a gift to Midland from Dong Ying, China, Midland’s Sister City. 5200 W. Wall Street.