Praries & Lakes
2010 Census - Unknown
2000 Census - 953
Martindale, Texas
Martindale Texas History:
In 1855, Mississippian Mrs. Nancy Martindale donated land for the townsite on the condition that the property of anyone found gambling or selling alcohol reverts to the Martindale family. The Martindale post office was established in 1875. In 1890, the town had four general stores and four gristmills and gins. The town had 200 residents in 1892. In 1949, the town supplied 65% of the cottonseed and hybrid corn seed produced in Texas. The town is still a rural agricultural area. Martindale incorporated in 1982. The town’s location on the San Marcos River makes it an ideal location for those who work in the nearby larger towns but prefer country living. In 2010 the town had 1,116 residents. Martindale is located on the San Marcos River at the intersections of SH 142, SH 80, and FM 1979, 55.5 miles northeast of San Antonio, 24.7 miles northeast of New Braunfels, 24.4 miles northeast of Seguin, 42 miles east of Startzville and Canyon Lake, 7 miles southeast of San Marcos, 35 miles southwest of Austin, 37.8 miles southwest of Elroy, 11 miles southwest of Lockhart, and 17 miles northwest of Luling, Texas.  
Martindale Historic District:
The historic district includes structures located on Main, Austin, Gonzalez and Jennings Streets. The town has been the scene of television shows, music videos and movies, including A Perfect World, The Newton Boys, and the 2003 remake of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. According to Wikipedia, “In 2004, Carlton Carl, a Washington D.C. lobbyist, purchased 36,000 square feet of commercial property in downtown Martindale. A partial inventory of Carl’s purchase includes three empty general stores, a former bank, a cotton-seed weigh station, several warehouses, a movie-set courtroom, an aquarium filled with cotton plants, a seed elevator, 16 seed silos and 300 feet of frontage on the San Marcos River. Carl has been working closely with the residents of Martindale to plan the next phase of the town's rejuvenation.” Model of proposed renovation 
Event Venue - Cotton Gin and V.I.P. Bar & Patio, Maxwell, TX:
Amenities include a bull riding arena, a wooden dance floor, a bar, tables and chairs, a large smoker and a pool table. The Cotton Gin’s regular season is March through October, though in 2014, there were no public live music events listed. The facility is available for movie shoots, private parties, bull riding events, tractor pulls, music concerts and other events. The V.I.P. Bar and Patio is located in a small seed barn; it serves beer and offers occasional live music. In 2010 the arena hosted the South Texas Bull Riding Championship. The Cotton Gin has been the site of movies and video filmings. (512) 801-6875. 441 Railroad Street, Maxwell, TX 78656. Email  Maxwell Texas Map; Click to Enlarge   Maxwell Texas Area Map 

Annual San Marcos Cinco de Mayo, May:
Activities at this two day festival include a parade, the State Menudo Cook-off, food and merchandise vendors, arts and crafts, folkloric dancers, and Tejano and mariachi music. Admission is free. Bring your lounge chairs. This event is held at 409 Main Street in Martindale, Texas. Email  
Whizzerville Hall & Restaurant, McMahan, TX:
This restaurant is located in the old gas station building and is owned by Roy and Grace Jeffrey. The east exterior building wall features the original pressed tin. The interior of the building retains many of its original features including wood floors, walls and ceiling. The walls of the main room are lined with photos and lighted beer signs. A small room at the back near the stairs is lined with old square and round beer coasters. Whizzerville Hall serves pizza and beer, and hosts live music and dancing most Saturday nights. Dine in or Carry out. Open Wed-Thu, 11am-8pm; Fri-Sat, 11am-Midnight; Sun, 11am-8pm. (512) 398-4601. The restaurant is located at 6320 FM 713, east of SH 85, and across the street from R & G Barbeque. Email  McMahan Texas Area Map
R & G Barbecue, McMahan, TX:
The neat, funky restaurant is owned by Roy and Grace Jeffrey. They serve hamburgers, brisket, sausage, beans, potato salad, and sometimes chili. The restaurant is located in the old general store which features pressed tin on the building façade, the original gold colored pressed tin ceiling, a wood burning stove, and wall shelves displaying historic photos and artifacts, and framed newspaper articles depicting the town’s history and activities. Open Wednesday through Saturday until 3pm. The restaurant is open later on Fridays when area residents gather in the store to visit and play 42 (dominoes).(512) 398-7276. The restaurant is located at the intersection of FM 713 and Whizzerville Road, a short distance east of SH 85. Reviews