Contact
 
 
County
Grimes
Region
Praries & Lakes
Population
2010 Census - 7,049
2000 Census - 6,296
Nearby
Towns
Navasota, Texas
null
Navasota Texas History:
In 1822, Francis Holland purchased land in the area. The community that grew up near his home was called Hollandale. In 1852, Daniel Arnold built a log cabin stage stop at the point where the La Bahia Road crossed the Navasota River, mid-way between Anderson and Washington-on-the-Brazos. Within three years, four stage lines were using the stop. The Navasota post office was established in 1854.
The Houston and Texas Central Railway line through Navasota in 1859, enabling Navasota to become a shipping and marketing center for area cotton farmers and businesses. During the Civil War (1861-1865), cotton, gunpowder, and guns were stored in Navasota. The town had approximately 2,700 residents in 1865. In 1865, a warehouse filled with gunpowder and cotton exploded, setting a fire that killed a number of people and destroyed or damaged most of the town’s buildings. Soon after the town was struck by a cholera epidemic, and in 1867 was struck by a yellow fever epidemic. Residents fled the town causing the population to drop by 50%. Navasota incorporated in 1866. By 1884, the town had a cottonseed oil mill, 5 churches, two flour mills, several steam-powered cotton gins, a bank, a 1,000 seat opera house, and 2,500 residents. In 1900 the International-Great Northern Railroad became the third railroad to establish a line through town. During the next three decades Navasota continued to grow as a shipping and marketing center for cotton, livestock, lumber, and produce. Its population increased from 3,857 in 1900 to 5,128 by 1930. The 1952 Navasota Industrial Foundation successfully worked to attract new industries to the area. By the mid-1970s Navasota had eighteen manufacturers producing mobile homes, furniture, cheese, steel tubing, and oilfield machinery. Residents began working to revitalize the downtown area; in 1980 Navasota was selected for the National Main Street Program. Famed French Explorer Rene Robert Cavelier, Sieur de LaSalle is believed to have been killed near Navasota. The French government gifted the town a 14.5 foot tall bronze statue of Cavelier. The lighted monument is located on Main Street at a corner of the two block esplanade along Washington Street. The DAR gifted the town a stone bust of Cavelier; it is located on Cedar Creek Park Trail. Actor Chuck Norris (Cordell Walker on the weekly TV show “Walker, Texas Ranger”) owns the Lone Wolf Ranch on SH 90 just outside of town. Navasota is located on a bend of the Navasota River at the intersections of SH 105 (Washington Avenue), Business SH 6 (La Salle Street), SH 90, SH 105 and FM 3090, 25 miles northeast of Brenham, 7.7 miles northeast of Washington-on-the-Brazos, 39 miles northeast of Somerville and Lake Somerville, 27 miles southeast of Bryan, 24 miles southeast of College Station, 31 miles southwest of Bedias, 9.6 miles southwest of Anderson, 43.5 miles southwest of Huntsville and Huntsville State Park, 26 miles west of Montgomery and Lake Conroe, 42 miles northwest of Conroe, 46 miles northwest of Tomball, 15.4 miles northwest of Plantersville, 51 miles north of San Felipe, and 21.3 miles north of Hempstead, Texas.    
 
Historic Downtown Navasota:
This area has many antique shops and other quaint shops, artisans, and cafes. Numerous historic Victorian homes line Washington Avenue. Many of the local churches and buildings were built of native stone. The 14.45 foot bronze statue of Rene Robert Cavelier, Sieur de LaSalle, a gift from the French government, is located on Main Street at one end of the two block esplanade along East Washington Avenue. The esplanade also features the Veterans of Foreign Wars Memorial. The historic downtown commercial district is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. This historic area is roughly bounded by LaSalle Street, Holland Street, 9th Street, and Brule Drive.