Contact
 
 
County
Bailey
Region
Panhandle Plains
Population
2010 Census - 5,158
2000 Census - 4,530
Nearby
Towns
Muleshoe, Texas
null
Muleshoe Texas History:
Muleshoe was founded in 1913 as a stop on the Pecos and Northern Texas Railway on land that was originally a part of the XIT Ranch. It was named for the nearby Muleshoe Ranch. In 1917, Muleshoe became the county seat of the newly organized Bailey County. Muleshoe incorporated in 1926. The town grew rapidly during its early years. By 1930, it had nearly 800 residents. Muleshoe is the marketing and shipping center for area farmers and ranchers. Ol’ Pete, the National Mule Memorial statue honoring the mules that served in WWI, is located at the Muleshoe Chamber of Commerce near the intersection of U.S. 84 and U.S. 70. Muleshoe is located approximately 18 miles east of the New Mexico state line at the intersections of U.S. 84, U.S. 70, and SH 214, 68 miles northwest of Lubbock, 56 miles northwest of Levelland, 31.6 miles northwest of Littlefield, 74 miles north of Plains, 35 miles north of Morton, 99 miles southwest of Amarillo, 51.5 miles southwest of Hereford, 45 miles southwest of Dimmitt, 22 miles southwest of Farwell, 60 miles west of Plainview, and 60 miles slightly northwest of Hale Center, Texas. 

Muleshoe Visitors:
If you are thinking of moving to Muleshoe, call ahead and arrange for a town tour and a discussion of your needs. 
 
Bailey County Courthouse, 1925:
The brick courthouse was designed in Classical Revival style by architect M. C. Butler. The 2010 Bailey County census was 7,165. (806) 272-3077. 300 S 1st Street.      
 
Muleshoe Heritage Center:
The world’s largest mule shoe stands in front of the building. Buildings include the early 1900s Santa Fe Depot which serves as the museum’s office, Jane’s Ranch House (a two story mail order home), the Old Muleshoe Ranch cookhouse and bunkhouse, the Figure 4 Ranch’s headquarters building which was assembled from a mail order kit, an 1870 one room log cabin from Shawnee, Oklahoma, and the old hotel from the failed Virginia City project. The buildings are outfitted in period furnishings, household goods, and tools and artifacts. Open Mon-Fri, 1pm-5pm and by special appointment. Admission is free; donations are accepted. (806) 272-5873. 200 Ash Avenue. Email     
 
Muleshoe Area Public Library:
The library provides traditional library programs, children, youth and adult programs, summer programs, public access computers with internet connections, and free Wi-Fi. Open Mon-Fri, 9am-6pm. (806) 272-4707. 322 W. 2nd Street.
 
Annual Tour de Muleshoe, Mid-June:
Routes are 100K, 40miles, and 10 miles. The race begins at 8am. It is sponsored by the Muleshoe Heritage Foundation. (806) 272-5873. Email
 
City of Muleshoe Ray & Donna West Free RV Park:
The Muleshoe Heritage Foundation and the City of Muleshoe operate this free RV Park at 1918 West American Boulevard (U.S. 84). Amenities include eight improved parking spots with water, and electricity (50 amp). A dump station is located onsite. A donation box for electricity expenses is located onsite. Spaces are first come, first serve. There are no reservations. Saving of spaces is not permitted. Campers may occupy only one space. Free stays are limited to three consecutive nights. In many instances, campers are permitted to stay an extra five days by getting a permit by the third day of their free stay. Each additional day costs $25. Permits may be obtained and the fee paid at the Muleshoe City Hall, 215 South 1st Street. (806) 272-4528. Pets are permitted.