Contact
 
 
County
McLennan
Region
Praries & Lakes
Population
2010 Census - 1,371
2000 Census - 1,400
Nearby
Towns
Moody, Texas
null
Moody Texas History:  
Moody was established as a stop on the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railway when the railroad built a line linking Temple and Fort Worth. Many residents moved to Moody from nearby Perry which was bypassed by the railroad. The Moody post office was established in 1881. By 1884, Moody had four churches, four cotton gins, two steam gristmills, a school, a newspaper and 250 residents. The town incorporated in 1901 when it had approximately 850 residents. Moody is located on the Leon River at the intersection of FM 317 and FM 107, 30 miles southeast of Gatesville, 10 miles southeast of McGregor, 28 miles southwest of Waco, 13.5 miles southwest of Lorena, 29 miles west of Marlin, 17.5 miles north of Temple, 18.6 miles northeast of Belton, and 36 miles northeast of Killeen, Texas.  
 
"The Grove," Texas History, 1859-1972:
The town was established in 1859 and named for a grove of oak trees. It was initially named Morrison Grove. The Grove post office opened in 1874. In the mid-1880s, the town had three general stores, a mill and a cotton gin, four churches including a Wend Lutheran church, and 150 residents. The town shipped cotton, grains and hides. In 1900, the town was one of the most prosperous in the county. After being bypassed by SH 36 in the 1940s, the town began to decline. Some area farmers were forced to relocate when Fort Hood was established in the early 1940s, and when Belton Dam was built in 1953. The last business closed in the early 1970s. The Grove is located just south of SH 36 at the intersection of CR 356 and FM 1114, 16 miles southeast of Gatesville, 18 miles southwest of McGregor, 9 miles southwest of Moody, and 16 miles northwest of Temple and Belton, Texas. "The Grove," Texas Map  "The Grove" Texas Area Map 
 
"The Grove," Texas, 2012:
In 1972, The Grove owners W.J. and Martha Dube sold the town to antique dealer Moody Anderson. The sale included the old general store, post office, saloon, sheriff’s office, blacksmith shop and the working water well. Anderson restored the town and filled the buildings with antiques. The general store is filled from the floor to the tin pressed ceiling with antique farm implements, lanterns, patent medicines and other artifacts. Moody rented the contents for use as props in movies. Items from The Grove were used in the movies “Lonesome Dove” and the “Alamo.” In 2010, the then 82 year old Anderson sold the store to Fran Moyer, the granddaughter of W.J. and Martha Dube. When Anderson owned the town it became a spontaneous live music venue attracting over 400 visitors each weekend. Bands played on the front porch. Visitors danced on a paved dance floor and spent time at the Cocklebur Saloon where they were invited to BYOB. Activities were free but donations were accepted.
 
Moody Community Library:
The library provides traditional library programs, children, youth and adult programs, summer programs, fax and copy machines, public access computers with internet connections, and free Wi-Fi. Open Mon & Wed, 9am-2pm; Tue & Thu, 1pm-6pm. (254) 853-2004. The library is located at 108 5th Street, across the street from the post office.
 
Moody Art Show & Benefit, 3rd Saturday in May:
Open 10am-8pm. (254) 853-9809. This event is hosted by the Moody Beautification Commission. The event is located at the Bammie Moore Hall in downtown Moody. Contact the Moody Chamber of Commerce for information.
 
Annual Moody Cotton Harvest Festival, Sept:
Activities at this Saturday festival include a 10am parade, live music all day, a pie contest, food and arts & crafts vendors, and children’s entertainment. Open 10am-10pm. Email  Contacts  
 
Annual Westphalia Church of the Visitation Picnic, 2nd Sunday in October:
Over 100 years old, this picnic is one of the largest church picnics in the area. In the beginning two meals of chicken and dressing and all the trimmings were served family style; handwritten cards were sent out to the church ladies telling them what menu items to bring to the picnic. Weeks before the picnic several parishioners would visit businesses in surrounding towns and ask for items for prizes for the Bingo and Country Store. For the sausage making, animals were brought to a farmer’s house and mixed there. In later years a Model A was parked under a shade tree with the back wheel jacked up and removed to pull the grinder. The same special recipe is still used today but butchering is done at the local Westphalia Market. About 3200 pounds of sausage are made. In time, parishioners of the Visitation parish felt that the harvest of the crops should be celebrated. The picnic was moved to October and is still held the second Sunday in October. It is thought that noodles were first included with the meal in the early 1960s. Today the picnic features a booth selling three editions of the Westphalia Cooking cookbook, a teddy bear stand, bingo, a fish pond, a ring toss, a gun stand, a ball throwing game stand, an auction, live music, and an evening dance in the parish hall. The meal served between 11am and 7pm consists of fried chicken, sausage, Westphalia noodles, slaw, green beans, dessert and tea; more than 6,000 plates of food are served. The Little School Museum, Uncle Rubin’s Farm Shed, and the Convent are open to visitors. (254) 584-4983. The church is located at 144 CR 300, Westphalia. Email  Westphalia Texas Map; Click to Enlarge  Westphalia Texas Area Map 
 
Lucy’s Café:
(254) 853-9302. The restaurant is located on FM 317 in Moody. Reviews 
 
Texas Cheese House:
Scott Simon makes a variety of artesian cheeses and sells local cheeses from The Mozzarella Company, and the Veldhuizen Family Farm in Dublin. They also bake homemade breads, and stock gourmet crackers, Wind & Willow cheese ball and dessert mix, sauces and other items from Fredericksburg Farms, and candies from Wiseman House Chocolates in Hico, Texas. Scott offers cheese samples, and dine-in or carry-out. Menu items include sandwiches, soups, appetizers, grilled cornbread, drinks and desserts. Open Mon-Fri, 10am-6pm; Sat, 10am-5pm; Sun, 12 noon-5pm. (254) 655-4217. 102 East Center Street in Lorena, Texas. Lorena is located at the intersection of IH-35 and FM 2837, 10.8 miles south of Woodway, 15 miles southwest of Waco, 21.7 miles northeast of Temple, 14.8 miles northeast of Moody, and 15.7 miles southeast of McGregor, Texas. Email  Reviews