Panhandle Plains
2010 Census - 6,372
2000 Census - 6,507
Littlefield, Texas
Littlefield Texas History:
When George W. Littlefield learned that the new Santa Fe line from Coleman to Texico, New Mexico, would pass through his land, he divided his Yellow House Ranch and formed a land company to sell the land. The railroad arrived in 1913. By 1915, the town had 250 residents, a library, a school, and several businesses. Littlefield incorporated in 1924. By 1930, the town had grain elevators, gins, a compress, cottonseed oil mills, and a population of 3,500. Littlefield was elected the county seat in 1946. Famous country western singer Waylon Jennings was born in Littlefield. Littlefield is located at the intersection of U.S. 385 and U.S. 84, 49 miles northeast of Morton, 54 miles southeast of Farwell, 32 miles southeast of Muleshoe, 44.8 miles south of Dimmitt, 58 miles southwest of Plainview, 41.5 miles southwest of Hale Center, 36.6 miles northwest of Lubbock, and 24 miles north of Levelland, Texas
Texas Plains Trail Region:
The 52-county Texas Plains Trail Region includes the Texas Panhandle and Plains. It stretches from the Texas towns of Big Spring and Colorado City in the southern portion of the region, to Muleshoe and the New Mexico state border in the west, to Quanah and Knox City in the east, and to the top of the Texas Panhandle, from Dalhart in the west to Lipscomb in the east. The Texas Plains Trail Region organization is a nonprofit heritage tourism organization affiliated with the Texas Historical Commission. TPTR acts as an economic development initiative that helps Texas communities to promote their historic and cultural resources, and increase tourism to their areas. The organization helps promote travel to heritage destinations and historic sites. A name repeatedly mentioned in the history of West Texas is Cynthia Ann Parker, a young child captured during a raid on Fort Parker. She grew up among the Comanches, married Comanche chief Peta Nocona, and had three children, Pecos, Quanah and Prairie Flower. In 1860, a party of Texas Rangers led by Sul Ross, a future governor of Texas, rescued her and her infant daughter Prairie Flower; Charles Goodnight participated in this raid. Her son Quanah became famous as the last Great War Chief of the Comanche. One of TPTR’s most visible recent projects is the Quanah Parker Trail. When the project is completed, giant Quanah Parker arrow markers will have been installed in all 52 counties in the Texas Plains Trail Region. Some counties will have more than one installation. The arrows were created and donated by New Home, Texas, artist Charles Smith. As of early 2014, over 70 arrows had been installed in almost 50 counties. Each arrow will have a plaque giving pertinent historical information. (806) 747-1997. P.O. Box 88, Lubbock, Texas 79408. Email Plains Trail Map
Lamb County Veterans Memorial:
This impressive memorial is located on Hall Avenue in front of the Littlefield Community Center. 
Tallest Windmill:
A replica of Littlefield’s famous tallest XIT windmill is located at the intersection of U.S. 84 and XIT Avenue. The original windmill was 132 feet tall and had 12 foot blades. The replica is 114 feet Tall. 
Lamb County Courthouse, 1955:
The brick and concrete courthouse was designed in modern style by the architectural firm of Atcheson & Atkinson. The 2010 Lamb County census was 13,977.  
WPA Post Office Murals History:
During the Great Depression FDR created the New Deal Program to provide jobs for out of work American men by funding construction projects to build post offices and other buildings, and state and local parks. The Works Progress Administration (WPA) was created in May, 1935, under the New Deal Program. The U.S. Treasury Department’s Section of Painting and Sculpture, later known as The Section of Fine Arts, put artists to work by funding Post Office Murals to be placed in the new post offices. Though the majority of the post office art consists of oil paintings on canvas, other art mediums were also used. The murals are located in every state. Post Office Murals Photos   
Littlefield WPA Post Office Mural Sculptures:
The "West Texas" tymstone sculptures were created by William McVey in 1948. The sculptures are located in the Old Post Office which now houses the Lamb County Library. McVey also did two murals in Houston.    
Lands Duggan House Museum:
The house was built as a one room lean-to. Prior to Arthur Duggan’s marriage, he moved the house from South Camp to Littlefield, a distance of 20 miles. The museum features exhibits and photos depicting the history of the Littlefield area. Call for an appointment. (806) 385-9001. 520 East Waylon Jennings Boulevard. Email 
The Sand Crawl Museum in Olton,Texas:
The museum is named after the sand dunes located south of Olton, which the late geologist Frank Bryan referred to as the Sand Crawl. The museum features exhibits depicting the history of Olton. A memorial is dedicated to town native Sunset Carson, a 1940s star of Western movies. The museum hosts an annual Holiday Home Tour, and an annual November Holiday Arts and Crafts Show at the Olton Ag Pavilion at Avenue D and 2nd Street. 701 Main Street. For more information call the Olton Chamber of Commerce at (806) 285-2292. Olton is located just east of U.S. 385 on U.S. 70, 33 miles northeast of Littlefield and 25 miles west of Plainview, Texas.  
Lamb County Library:
The library provides traditional library programs, children, youth and adult programs, summer programs, public access computers with internet connections, and free Wi-Fi. The WPA Post Office sculptures by William McVey are located in the library. Open Mon-Fri, 8:30am-5pm; Sat, 9am-12pm. (806) 385-5223. The library is located in the former post office building at 110 East 6th Street.
Annual Heritage Bluegrass Festival, 2nd Friday & Saturday in April:
Activities include live music, food concessions, children’s activities and vendors. Music begins at 6pm on Friday and at 2pm on Saturday. Free RV hookups are available. This event is held at the Agricultural Pavilion at the Littlefield Fairgrounds, 5 blocks north of U.S. 84 on U.S. 385. (806) 385-5331.