Contact
 
 
County
Cooke
Region
Praries & Lakes
Population
2010 Census - 1,018
2000 Census - 778
Nearby
Towns
Lindsay, Texas
null
Lindsay Texas History:
In 1887, the Gainesville, Henrietta and Western Railway established Lindsay as a switching station and named it after Judge J. M. Lindsay. This German Catholic colony was promoted by land speculators Anton and August Flusche who also promoted the town Muenster. In 1891 the brothers signed a series of contracts granting them 9,300 acres on the railroad. In the spring of 1891, the townsite was surveyed, and the remaining property was divided into farms. By January 1012, the town had eleven families. The first mass was held on March 25, 1892 in the home of William Flusche. The town still celebrates this date as its birthday. Judge Lindsay donated eight acres to the Diocese of Dallas for a church, school and cemetery. The church was built on the tallest hill in Lindsay. A new brick church was constructed in 1903. It was destroyed by a 1917 tornado. A new church was completed in 1918. It was designed n neo-Romanesque style by Dutch architect Frank A. Ludewig, and built by Henry Wardein. The interior paintings of St. Benedict and St. Boniface were painted by Dr. Mathias Zell, father of Bernard Zell, the church pastor from 1910 to 1923. The remainder of the interior painting was completed by Swiss immigrant artist Friedolin Fuchs. Lindsay incorporated in 1959. In the 1980s, most residents were descendants of the early German Catholic settlers. Today, farming, dairying and oil production are important to the town’s economy. Lindsay is located just west of the Gainesville Airport at the intersection of U.S. 82 (JM Lindsay Boulevard) and FM 3108, (Hickory Drive), approximately 12 miles south of the Red River, 44.5 miles southwest of Denison, 38 miles southwest of Sherman, 7 miles west of Gainesville, 37 miles north of Denton, 24 miles north of Sanger and Ray Roberts Lake, 33 miles east of Montague, 9.5 miles east of Muenster, and 32 miles southeast of Nocona, Texas.  
 
History of the Painted Churches of Texas:
The more than 20 painted churches in Texas were established by German or Czech emigrants. The churches are so named because almost every interior surface area is painted in vivid colors. Some church interiors are painted in more detail than others. Wall inscriptions are in German or Czech. Many of the churches are small with high steeples. Many of the wooden churches are painted white. The 1886 Wesley Brethren Church in Wesley is the oldest and most primitive of the Painted Churches in Texas. It was a former school house. The 1913 Church of the Guardian Angel in Wallis, Texas was the last painted church built in Texas. In 1984, fifteen of these churches were added to the National Register of Historic Places. Five of the painted churches are located in Fayette County and five are located in Lavaca County. The most famous of the painted churches are the High Hill, Ammannsville, Dubina and Praha churches in Fayette County. All four of these churches are beautifully painted, and all are located within a short distance of each other. The Schulenburg Chamber of Commerce offers tours of these four churches. Call (866) 504-5294 for a tour. The majority of the painted churches offer regular mass or church services.   
 
St. Peter’s Catholic Church, 1918, Lindsay, Texas:
This German church was organized in 1892. The original church was destroyed by a cyclone. The present church was designed in neo-Romanesque style by Dutch architect Frank A. Ludewig, and built by Henry Wardein. The interior paintings of St. Benedict and St. Boniface were painted by Dr. Mathias Zell, father of Bernard Zell, the church pastor from 1910 to 1923. The remainder of the interior painting was completed by Swiss immigrant artist Friedolin Fuchs. The church is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The church is located in the small village of Lindsay on Main Street (follow the steeple). (940) 668-7609. 424 W Main Street. Lindsay is located 38 miles west of Sherman, Texas. Church Website
 
Weinhof Winery in Forestburg and in Muenster:
This small winery offers fruit and specialty wines. They have locations in Muenster and in Forestburg. The Forestburg tasting room is open Sat, 12 noon-6pm; Sun, 12:30pm-5pm, or by appointment. The Muenster Tasting Room is open Fri-Sat, 12 noon-6pm; Sun, 12 noon-5pm, or by appointment. They host special events and are available for private functions. Forestburg: (972) 964-2552. 16678 FM 455, Forestburg. Muenster: (940) 759-4637. 123 W. Division Street (SH. 82) in Muenster. Email  Forestburg Area Map  Muenster Area Map 
 
Annual Antique Tractor and Farm Machinery Show, August:
Activities include baling hay with a horse driven baler and pulley driven baler, corn picking, wheat threshing, plowing, tractor games, small engine displays, steam tractors, a kiddie pedal tractor pull, a parade, food vendors and arts and crafts. The event opens at 9am; activities begin at 11am. The show is hosted by the Cooke County Antique Tractor and Farm Machinery Club.(800) 689-7861. From Lindsey go north on FM 1199 and drive approximately 2 miles to the event site. 2014 Flyer  
 
Annual Tri County Fishing Festival at Waterloo Lake, Mid-Sept:
This event is open to senior citizens age 50 and over in Grayson, Fannin and Cooke Counties. Open 8am-noon; lunch is served at noon. (903) 463-5116. (903) 892-7316. This event is held at Waterloo Lake at 1101 Waterloo Lake Road in Denison, Texas.
 
Fischer’s Meat Market & Grocery, Muenster:
They have been making German Smoked Sausage since 1927. They serve great food and sell great meat which comes from their own Fischer’s Farms. They offer meat packages, custom meat processing, deer processing and wild game processing. (940) 759-4211. 304 North Main Street.
 
Rumpy's Little German Bakery, Gainesville:
They make delicious baked goods. (940) 612-1121 801 North IH-35. Reviews 
 
Ancient Ovens, Saint Jo, TX:
They serve wonderful old world Italian cuisine; indoor and outdoor dining is available. Their food is cooked in two wood fired ovens. They occasionally have live music. Guests may bring their own bottle; wine may be purchased from the adjacent Arche Winery. Their hours vary; they are generally open from 7pm-10pm on Fridays and Saturdays, and sometimes on Thursdays. You must make a reservation by phone. (940) 366-4255. This restaurant is located on the BlueDog Vista Ranch. 857 Childress Road, Saint Jo, TX 76265. Reviews 
 
Sarah's On The Square, Gainesville:
(940) 612-4782. 115 West California Street. Reviews 
 
The Main Street Pub & Steakhouse, Gainesville:
They serve good country cooking, trout and veal; beer is served in frozen mugs. The restaurant is decorated with historic photos, animal head mounts, and western artifacts. (940) 668-4040. 216 West Main Street. Reviews
 
Taco Casa, Gainesville:
(940) 665-7477. 701 West California Street. Reviews  
 
Dieter Brothers Pit Bar-B-Q (formerly Metzler Bros. Drive In), Lindsay:
The Dieter Brothers purchased Metzler Bros. BBQ (well known for its excellent BBQ) in 1997. Dieter Bros. serves very good or excellent brisket, German sausage, pork ribs, BBQ chicken, ham, and turkey. All of the vegetables are made fresh in house. They also serve pizza. (940) 665-5253. 401 E U.S. 82. Email  Reviews