2000 Census - 1,178
Lexington Texas History:
In 1837, surveyor James Shaw rode horse back through the area seeking a favorable land grant owed to him as a reward for his military service to the Republic of Texas. He chose a site located west of where several families had settled. The community that grew up on his land was initially named String Prairie. The String Prairie post office was established in 1848 with Shaw as postmaster. Shaw also served as the local teacher and was a state legislator. In 1850, the town was renamed Lexington after Lexington, Massachusetts. Lexington’s economy was based on farming and open range ranching. The population dropped during the Civil War, but increased after the war when 21 Mississippi families arrived by wagon; most of them settled in Lexington and the nearby communities. The population reached over 500 after the San Antonio and Aransas Pass Railroad built a line to the town in 1890. Today the economy is based on small businesses, ranching, and crops such as hay, grain and peanuts. Lexington is located between East and West Yegua Creeks at the intersections of U.S. 77, U.S. 77 Business Loop 123 (Rockdale Street), FM 696 (Taylor and Caldwell Roads), and FM 1624 (Cherry Drive), 52 miles northeast of Austin, 27 miles northeast of Elgin, 27 miles southeast of Coupland, 39.6 miles southeast of Granger, 17.4 miles south of Rockdale, 26 miles southwest of Caldwell, 52 miles northwest of Brenham, 52.5 miles northwest of Fayetteville, 43 miles northwest of Somerville, 38 miles northwest of La Grange, 35 miles northwest of Round Top, 24.4 miles northwest of Serbin, 17.6 miles northwest of Giddings, and 36.4 miles northeast of Bastrop, Texas.
Historic Lexington Masonic Lodge No. 138, Texas Historical Marker Text:
“Chartered in 1854, when Lexington was part of Burleson County, the community's masonic Lodge was first named in honor of Andrew Neill, a Texas war for Independence veteran. The lodge's first officers were John M. Doak, Titus H. Mundine and John B. Nunn. Also in 1854, members helped build a lodge and school, chartered in 1860 as Lexington Male and Female Academy. The lodge changed its name in 1868 and in 1912 first sponsored an order of the Eastern Star Chapter. Today, lodge members continue to serve the Lexington community.”
Historic Lexington Schools, Texas Historical Marker Text:
“First local school session was held in 1849 in log home of Capt. James Shaw (1808-79), founder of Lexington, then in Burleson (since 1874 in Lee) County. Andrew Neill Lodge No. 138, A. F. & A. M., to which Shaw and other patrons belonged, joined with newly-formed School District No. 9 in 1854 to build a 2-story schoolhouse-lodge hall a mile south of town. In 1860 the school became Lexington Male and Female Academy, using same hall. A frame schoolhouse (1892) and one of brick (1910) antedated the present plant that was begun in 1936 with high school building.”
The First Baptist Church of Lexington, Texas Historical Marker Text:
“The Rev. E. E. Lee of the nearby Prospect Church inspired Elders John Claybaugh, J. W. D. Creath, D. Fisher, and J. G. Thomas, with nine charter members, to organize this church in Jan. 1855. The original building was erected later that year. The Rev. J. G. Thomas was the first pastor. Sunday school was founded in 1866. Prospect Church disbanded in 1949, and members joined the Lexington Church, which has built five successive houses of worship, has belonged to five regional Baptist associations, and has been served by twenty-nine pastors.”
Historic United Methodist Church of Lexington, Texas Historical Marker Text:
“The Lexington Methodist Episcopal Church, South, appears in the records of the East Texas Conference as early as 1850, with the Rev. Jefferson Shook assigned as pastor. Its history, however, can be traced through the histories of four other Lee County churches. The Liberty Methodist Episcopal Church, South, met west of Lexington, and the two congregations shared the same pastor. When the church disbanded in the 1930s, some of the members joined this congregation. Tanglewood Methodist Episcopal Church, South, served the Tanglewood community (5 mi. N) During the 1930s the congregation sold its land and church building and forwarded the proceeds to the Lexington Church, and the few remaining members came into this congregation. The Early Chapel congregation met in the northern part of the county as early as 1850. Members of the dwindling fellowship voted to move their memberships to the Lexington Church in 1927. The German Methodist Church in Lexington was founded in 1882 with the Rev. JacobOtt as first pastor. In 1939 the two Lexington Methodist congregations merged. With its membership additions over the years, the United Methodist Church of Lexington has grown to provide significant service and leadership to the community.”
Historic Lexington Memorial Cemetery, Texas Historical Marker Text:
“A Methodist Episcopal church, locally known as the German Methodist Church, was organized in Lexington in 1882. The church purchased two acres of land for a cemetery in November 1898. The first recorded burials on this site were those of two-year-old Reinhold Retzlaff and four-year-old Gustav Hillegeist in the spring of 1899. Also interred here are Civil War veterans Bernhard Retzlaff (who fought for both the Union and the Confederacy), Jacob Seifert, and Gustav Urbantke, who served as a lay minister for forty years. Others buried here include members of the Bauer, Grusendorf, Hillegeist, Hornung, Letterman, Otto, Peterson, Raesener, and Raschke families. All were charter members of the church.”
Historic Early Chapel Cemetery, Texas Historical Marker Text:
“Site bought by Methodist Episcopal Church South in 1850, although some burials had occurred here previously. Buried here are San Jacinto heroes Capt. Jas. Shaw (founder of Lexington) and Wm. Hawkins; Civil War veterans; Mrs. R. Y. King, wife of first Lee County judge. Contains special section for slaves.”
Lexington Log Cabins & Heritage Center:
Facilities include 2 1850 log cabins furnished in period pieces and accessories, and a corn crib which houses 19th century tools and implements. Historical exhibits are on display. Open Thu-Sat, 9am-4pm; donations accepted. Group tours are available by appointment. (979) 773-2194. The Center is located just north of the town square which is located on Main Street between 3rd and 4th Streets.
Lexington Public Library:
The library provides traditional library programs, children, youth and adult programs, summer programs, public access computers with internet connections, and free Wi-Fi. (979) 773-4843. 8541 North U.S. 77, Lexington, TX 78947.
Coupland Inn and Dance Hall, Coupland & BBQ Restaurant:
This dance hall has a wood dance floor, great antiques, and an 1886 antique bar. This dance hall was featured in the movies “Lonesome Dove,” and “A Perfect World.” Coupland Inn is a great private party venue. The restaurant is open Fri-Sat, 5:30pm-10pm. The dance hall is open Fri, 8pm-Midnight, Sat, 8pm-1am. (512) 856-2226. 103 Hoxie Street. Coupland is located along Brushy Creek at the intersections of SH 95, Spur 277, and FM 1466 (Hoxie Street), 25 miles northeast of Austin, 8 miles south of Taylor, and 8 miles north of Elgin, Texas. Coupland Map; Click to Enlarge Coupland Texas Area Map
Event Venue - Woodson Community Center:
This venue primarily is used for city council and chamber of commerce meetings. It is also used for other events. (979) 773-2221.
Annual Homecoming, Last Weekend of April:
Activities include a 5K run/walk, an art show, a BBQ cook-off, a street dance, arts and crafts, food booths, horseshoe and washer tournaments, live music, a youth rodeo, and the annual classic car and truck show. (979) 773-4337. Click on the above link for individual event coordinators contact information. The rodeo is held at Schulz’s Arena at 1113 CR 410. The street dance and other events are held at the downtown square on Main Street between 3rd and 4th Streets.
Annual Chocolate Lover's Festival, a Saturday in Mid-Oct:
Activities include a Mobile Dairy classroom for children, arts and crafts, chocolate cake and dessert contests, a Fear Factor contest and other kid’s activities, and chocolate sales. (979) 773-4337. (979) 773-9100. This event is held at the downtown square on Main Street between 3rd and 4th Streets. Baking Contest Flyer
Dewberry Hills Farm:
Jane and Terry Levan raise and sell hormone, antibiotic and chemical free chickens and sell eggs. Farm tours are available by appointment. (512) 308-7706. 5619 FM 1624, Lexington, Texas 78947. Email
Snows BBQ in Lexington, TX:
Once listed in Texas Monthly as the Best Barbeque in Texas, The barbeque is said to be as good as Smitty’s in Lockhart. They serve brisket, sausage, chicken, pork, ribs, homemade potato salad, homemade coleslaw and beans. Open every Saturday at 8am until sold out. (979) 773-4640. 516 Main. Lexington is located on U.S. 77, approximately midway between Austin and Bryan-College Station, and 17.6 miles slightly northwest of Giddings. Reviews
Granny’s Restaurant in Lexington, TX:
This restaurant serves very good home cooking such as chicken fried steak, hamburgers, and a full breakfast menu including breakfast tacos. (979) 773-9463. 728 S. Rockdale Street. Reviews