Contact
 
 
County
Hidalgo
Region
South Texas Plains
Population
2010 Census - Unknown
2000 Census - 3,303
Nearby
Towns
La Joya, Texas
null
La Joya Texas History:
On March 14, 1749, Jose de Escandon brought in ranchers (the first was Hilario Silva) to settle the area. At this time the area was known as Los Ejidos de Reynosa Viejo, after the shared grazing lands (ejiidos) used for livestock. In the early 1800s, Francisco de la Garza, a descendant of the early settlers, founded a community called Tabasco on the north bank of the Rio Grande River near the current day site of La Joya. After the floods of 1908 and 1909, residents of this prosperous ranching community deserted the town for safer, higher ground nearby. In 1926, Houston developer J. H. Smith convinced the residents to incorporate their town; the residents did and called their new town La Joya after the community livestock watering hole (called jollancas) which was called La Joya Lake. The municipal government was inactive until 1965 when Leo J. Leo and other La Joya residents petitioned a Hidalgo County judge for permission for the town to hold an election to activate their government; permission was granted and Leo was elected Mayor the same year. The town is located just north of the Rio Grande River on U.S. 83, 10 miles west of Mission, 17.6 miles west of McAllen, 24 miles east of Rio Grande City, 36 miles east of Roma, and 7 miles east of Los Ebanos and the Los Ebanos Ferry. It is approximately midway between Rio Grande City and McAllen, Texas.
 
La Joya ISD Performing Arts Center:
The center hosts theater, dance and music events. (956) 580-5160. 604 North coyote Drive. 
 
La Joya ISD KLJS-TV andKGEM Radio:
The 24 hour cab el television station provides students with educational learning experiences. (956) 323-2630.  TV Guide 
 
La Joya Public Library:
The library provides traditional library programs, children, youth and adult programs, summer programs, public access computers with internet connections, and free Wi-Fi. Open Mon-Thu, 9am-6pm; Fri, 9am-5pm; Sat, 9am-1pm; closed Sunday. The library stays open 1 hour later each day during the winter. (956) 581-4533. 925 S. Leo Avenue, Lay Joya, 78560. Email 1  Email 2 
 
La Lomita Chapel and Historic District, Mission, TX:
In approximately 1770, Jose Antonio Cantu established a large ranch on land granted by Spain. He named the ranch La Lomita for the little hill located nearby. In 1851 French merchant Rene Guyard purchased the ranch. Guyard, a devote Catholic became friendly with the Missionary Oblates of Immaculate; his ranch became a stop on the priests travels between the church’s Brownsville headquarters and the Mission in Roma. In 1865 the priests constructed an adobe chapel on the ranch and named it La Lomita. In 1871 Guyard willed the chapel and the land to the Oblate priests. A flood destroyed the chapel, and in 1899, the church was rebuilt using stone quarried from the hill the church sits on. The Oblate priests also built a rectory, houses for the workers, a livery stable, a blacksmith shop and a buggy shed. The church was rebuilt again in the 1920’s and repaired in 1937. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is a Texas Historical Landmark. The chapel is open daily during daylight hours. (956) 580-8760. The chapel is located 5 miles south of Mission, Texas in the former town of La Lomita on FM 1016 (S. Conway Avenue), three miles south of U.S. 83.