Gulf Coast
2010 Census - 26,213
2000 Census - 25,575
Kingsville, Texas
Kingsville, Texas History:
IN approximately 1900, Henrietta King donated a portion of the King Ranch for use in establishing a town and extending the St. Louis, Brownsville and Mexico Railway to the town. In 1903, King Ranch manager Robert Justus Kleberg formed the Kleberg Town and Improvement Company to sell the land, and established the town of Kingsville three miles east of the King Ranch headquarters. The town was named after Captain Richard King, owner of the King Ranch. Henrietta King built the First Presbyterian Church, donated land for other churches, built a high school, and donated land for the Texas A & M University in Kingsville. The post office and railroad passenger service were established in 1904. The railroad established their headquarters in Kingsville and became the town’s main source of income. It continued expanding its Kingsville operations. In late 1906 the railroad had 25 employees. By 1931, it had 500. Due to the presence of the railroad and the King Ranch, the town continued to grow. By 1912, the town had approximately 4,000 residents. The King Ranch established many of the early businesses including a hotel, an ice plant, a waterworks, a cotton gin and a newspaper. Kingsville became a commercial center for area ranchers and farmers. Kingsville was incorporated in 1911, and in 1913 it became the county seat of the newly established Kleberg County. In 1920, the first producing oil well was discovered nearby, and Kingsville homes and businesses were hooked up to natural gas lines. In 1921, residents paid for the construction of a cotton mill which provided work for 175 residents. The South Texas Teachers college opened in 1925. It became Texas A & M Kingsville in 1993. The Kingsville Naval Air Station opened in 1942. Agriculture and ranching continue to be the area’s primary industries. Reynosa, Mexico is Kingsville’s Sister City. Kingsville is located on U.S. 77, 73 miles north of Raymondville, 15.5 miles north of Riviera, 37.7 miles northeast of Falfurrias, 23 miles southwest of Robstown, 6 miles southwest of Bishop, and 43.8 miles southwest of Corpus Christi, Texas.
Kleberg County Courthouse, 1914:
The brick, tile and concrete courthouse was designed in Texas renaissance style by famed courthouse architect Atlee B. Ayres. The third story jail was used until 1997. A one story annex was built on the rear of the building in 1966. The Kleberg County Centennial Celebration was held on the county courthouse lawn on 30 August, 2013. The 2010 Kleberg County census was 32,061. (361) 595-8585. 700 E. Kleberg Avenue, Kingsville.
Kingsville Naval Air Station:
The air station is closed to the public. It is located at 554 McCain Street, Kingsville, Texas 78363. The main gate is located on General Cavazos Boulevard, approximately 1 mile east of U.S. 77. The back gate is located off U.S. 77 on Caesar Street. Facebook