Contact
 
 
County
Lampasas
Region
Hill Country
Population
2010 Census - 6,681
2000 Census - 6,786
Nearby
Towns
Lampasas, Texas
null
Lampasas Texas History:
The earliest inhabitants were Indians who made yearly pilgrimages to the mineral springs. In 1838, the county’s first resident, John Burleson, was awarded 1,280 acres of land for his services during the Texas Revolution; the land included the present Lampasas townsite. In November 1853, Moses Hughes arrived with his ailing wife Hannah, and settled at Hancock Springs, later known as Gooch Springs. Over the next two years, Hughes built a mill, a log home and a cotton gin on the north bank of Sulphur Creek. The spring water cured Hannah and others came to camp in tents and wagons to take the cure. After Burleson’s death his land was deeded to his daughters, Elizabeth Schott and Martha Moore. Elizabeth and her husband platted the town of Burleson. Elizabeth designed the plans for the town square. When the Texas legislature established Lampasas County on February 1, 1856, it named Burleson county seat and changed its name to Lampasas. The Lampasas post office was established in 1857. In 1874, Baptists built the first church. Camp meetings were held in Baptist-owned Hancock Park. In 1877, the Horrell-Higgins Feud led to a shoot-out on the town square. In 1882, the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railway built a line to Lampasas, ending the town's cattle-trailing and gun-fighting era. Lampasas became a trading center for West Texas. By 1882, tourists discovered the mineral springs and Lampasas became a health resort. In that year a syndicate of railroad officials built the Park Hotel near Hancock Springs and ran a mule-drawn streetcar to the railroad station. The Hannah Springs Company built the Hannah Bath and Opera House, where the Democratic state convention was held in 1893. Lampasas continues to be a ranching and farming area. TheKeystone Hotel, a former stagecoach stop, is located across the street from the Santa Fe depot. Lampasas is located on Sulphur Creek at the intersections of U.S. 281, U.S. 190, U.S. 183 and FM 580, 69 miles northwest of Austin, 49 miles northwest of Georgetown, 35 miles north of Marble Falls, 22 miles north of Burnet, 35 miles northeast of Buchanan Dam, 34 miles east of Colorado Bend State Park, 36.6 miles southeast of San Saba, 17 miles southeast of Lometa, 37 miles southeast of Goldthwaite, 42 miles southwest of Gatesville, 55 miles west of Temple, 47 miles west of Belton, 29 miles west of Killeen, 26 miles west of Fort Hood, and 19 miles southwest of Copperas Cove, Texas.
 
Lampasas Municipal Airport: 
Amenities include a 4,200 foot runway with an Instrumental Flight Rules approach, a small terminal building with a pilot’s lounge, tee hangers, 9 tie-down spaces, an Automated Weather Observation System, a helicopter pad, and 24 hour self-service fuel. A courtesy car is available upon request. The airport is attended 7am-4pm, and later by request. (512) 556-6831. Pilot’s Lounge: (512) 556-6301. Courtesy Car: (281) 734-1076. (512) 734-0228. 2541 North U.S. 281, Lampasas, Texas 76550.  
 
Lampasas County Courthouse, 1883:
This beautiful limestone courthouse was designed in Second Empire style by famed courthouse architect W.C. Dodson. This courthouse is the third oldest Texas courthouse still in use as a courthouse. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The 2010 Lampasas County census was 30,000. (512) 556-8271. 501 East 4th Street, Lampasas, Texas 76550. 
 
Lampasas Murals:
The Generations Mural is located on the Lampasas Hardware building 302 South Western Avenue at 2nd Street. The Boot Mural is located on the Jerry Goodson Surveyor Building at 411 South Western Avenue. For more information and a map, click on the above link and then click on “The Murals.”
 
Lampasas Boot Roundup Mural, 2008:
Almost 150 pairs of boots owned by local citizens were first photographed individually in pairs. The boots were then mixed up and placed in a large pile. Local photographer Kellie Hughes then took photos of the pile from the top of a fire truck extension ladder. Part of the group photo was then turned into a “paint by number mural” (15 by 45 feet) on the side of Jerry Goodson’s Surveying company building. Eight Local artists painted the mural; local citizens were permitted to lend a hand. Many of the boots were made by Local boot maker Pablo Jass. One of Fred Cummings’ Texas Ranger Boots is part of the mural. His brown boot has a “star within a circle” Texas Ranger emblem. A local steel company made this Texas Ranger emblem which is now attached to the mural on his boot. Also attached to the mural are two Conchos, two boot buckles and two spurs. All these attached items were made from anodized steel. The unveiling of the mural was celebrated with a free outdoor chili supper on Nov 13, 2008. The Boot Mural is located on the side of the Jerry Goodson Surveyor Building at 411 South Western Avenue. For more information and a map, click on the above link and then click on “The Murals.”