Contact
 
 
County
DeWitt
Region
Praries & Lakes
Population
2010 Census - 307
2000 Census - 323
Nearby
Towns
Nordheim, Texas
null
Nordheim Texas History:
In the 1880s, much of the land around current day Nordheim was owned by the H. Runge & Co. of Cuero, Texas. In 1895, the San Antonio and Aransas Pass Railroad built a stop in the area, and a townsite was platted; a passenger depot was built in 1901. The post office opened in 1896 and was named Nordheim after the German hometown of the Runge Company president. The town’s German population formed numerous social organizations including a Sons of Hermann Lodge, the Nordheim Shooting Club, and a brass band. The bandstand was built on Pilot Knob, the highest point in DeWitt County, became the town’s social center. Nordheim is located on SH 72, 50 miles northeast of Three Rivers, 7 miles southwest of Yorktown, 17 miles northeast of Kenedy, 7 miles northeast of Runge, 32 miles northwest of Goliad, 22 miles west of Meyersville, 8 miles southwest of Yorktown, 30 miles southwest of Westhoff, 38 miles southeast of Nixon, and 24 miles southwest of Cuero, Texas.  
 
Historic Pilot Knob, Texas Historical Marker Text:
“A beacon for early Texas pioneers. Because this hill could be seen for miles, it guided travelers from Old Indianola (on the coast) inland to Helena and San Antonio during the 19th century. On the Hill they discovered charred rocks and artifacts from a previous Indian campground. The area was first surveyed in 1838 by the Goliad Land District and in 1886 the San Antonio and Aransas Pass Railroad was built through this region. For years a sign at the Weldon Switch (present Nordheim) Depot proclaimed its 400 foot elevation was highest on the line between Houston, San Antonio, and Waco. In 1895 Nordheim was platted. Afterward numerous German immigrants were attracted to the area. Under the sturdy oaks on Pilot Knob, young and old enjoyed typical German and pioneer activities, including band concerts, shooting matches, harvest and May festivals, and Easter egg hunts. A refreshment stand and dance platform were built on the hill which became the center of social life for Nordheim citizens. Here the townspeople also buried their dead, and since most activities had been moved into town by about 1910, Pilot Knob gradually settled into its present use as the community cemetery.”
 
Historic Village of Cabeza, 1870s, Texas Historical Marker Text:
“In the 1870s Joshua Butler emigrated from Virginia and settled here on 2,000 acres along Cabeza Creek. Soon after, John Riley and P. P. Short began large sheep and cattle ranches. Their children attended schools in Yorktown and Helena until a schoolhouse was built on Short's land. Later a public school was opened; it also served as a place of worship for the Baptists and Methodists. A post office opened in 1889; it closed in 1907. The village had a doctor's office, mercantile stores, a cotton gin, and a blacksmith shop. By the 1950s, area schools consolidated, and small farms replaced the large ranches.” Marker location: From Nordheim, take CR northwest approximately 5.5 miles to the end of the road.
 
Historic Nordheim Shooting Club & Dance Hall, 1897, Texas Historical Marker Text:
“A product of the area's predominately German heritage and community Mayfest celebrations of the nineteenth century, the Nordheim Fortschritt Verein (Progress Club) was organized in 1897. Another organization, the Nordheim Scheutzen Verein (Shooting Club) was formed in 1902. The two organizations were merged in 1927, under the name Nordheim Shooting Club. The organization provided entertainment and community activities for a large rural area. The present club facility replaced earlier structures on the same site.” The marker is located at the Shooting Club at the end of West Broadway Street.
 
Historic Jubilee Park Pavilion, Texas Historical Marker Text:
“The historic Jubilee Park Pavilion was built in 1923, and donated to the city on the 25th anniversary of its founding. Some of the wood came from floats used in the Jubilee Parade. Throughout the years, the Nordheim Brass Band, first organized in 1896, has given many typical German concerts here. The pavilion is a focal point of civic entertainment.” The pavilion and marker are located on 5th Street, between Elm and Broadway Streets.
 
Nordheim Historical Museum:
Established in 1986, the museum has acquired the Talk School which was one of the original common schools located in the area; it will be relocated to a lot across the street from the current museum building. The annual Museum Market Day, Historic Tours & Motorcycle Run fundraiser is held on a Saturday in April from 10am-4pm; proceeds benefit the museum. Activities include a silent auction, a raffle, a bake sale, vendor booths, and the Motorcycle Fun Run. The museum is located in the red fire department building. Open by appointment. (361) 938-7208. (361) 938-5248. 105 W. 2nd Street. Email 1  Email 2  
 
Broadway Bar & the Movie “Paris, Texas,” 1933:
Scenes from the movie “Paris, Texas” was filmed in this old German bar in 1984. Amenities include a brass bar rail, billiard tables, shuffleboard, and regular domino tournaments. As of 2012 they were still holding the first Wednesday of each month community supper; cooking duties rotate among community members. They sometimes offer live country music and dancing. The bar is kid friendly. (361) 938-7438. 208 Broadway Street.
 
Nordheim Shooting Club & Dance Hall:
The shooting club manages the six sided shooting club and dance hall which still occasionally holds dances, including a New Year’s Eve dance. It also hosts the annual May Fest featuring remote control pull, mini-rod truck and tractor pulls, hotrod truck and tractor pulls, a barbeque and chili cook-off, arts and crafts, and a pork barbeque plate dinner. The hall is available for event rentals. (361) 935-6306. Nordheim Shooting Club and Dance Hall is located at the end of Broadway Street. Email
 
Annual Nordheim Market Day, Historic Tours & Motorcycle Run, Apr:
Activities include a silent auction, a raffle, a bake sale, vendor booths, live entertainment, and the Motorcycle Fun Run. The guided driving tours will include Pilot Knob, the historic Broadway Bar, the Nordheim Shooting Club and Dance Hall, St. Ann’s Cemetery and Jubilee Park. The museum is located in the red fire department building. Open by appointment. (361) 938-7208. (361) 938-5248. 105 W. 2nd Street. 2014 Info  
 
Annual May Feast, May:
Activities include a hotrod truck and tractor pulls, a remote control tractor pull, concessions, an outside bar, a BBQ and chili cook-off, a Saturday night dance with live music, and a Sunday BBQ supper. Barbeque categories include brisket, port ribs, chicken and beans. The dance is held at the Nordheim Shooting Club and Dance Hall at the end of Broadway Street. (361) 935-6306. Email