Contact
 
 
County
Comal
Region
Hill Country
Population
2010 Census - Unknown
2000 Census - 36,494
Nearby
Towns
New Braunfels, Texas
null
New Braunfels Texas History:
In 1844, German Prince Carl of Solms-Braunfels was appointed commissioner-general for the first colony that the Adelsverein Society of Germany proposed to establish in Texas. Prince Solms and his assistant arrived in Galveston in July, 1844. Included in their luggage were two cannons, table linens, and twelve place settings of china. Solms purchased land on Matagorda Bay and established Indianola as the port of debarkation for the arriving German immigrants. He then traveled to San Antonio wherehe purchased a track of fertile land on the Guadalupe and Comal Rivers from Juan Martín Veramendi and Raphael C. Garza. Nicolaus Zink led first wagon train of German immigrants. They arrived at the New Braunfels site on March 21, 1845, and made camp on Comal Creek at a site chosen by Solms. Zink platted the town and farm plots, and supervised the construction of a temporary fort. On a bluff overlooking the Comal River, Prince Solms constructed a permanent fort (Sophienburg) and headquarters of the immigrant association. This structure now houses the Sophienburg Museum. By summer, the town had over 300 residents, and had been incorporated under the name Braunfels which was the name of Prince Solm’s estate in Germany. The Germans brought artisanal skills, business and farming ingenuity, and a strong work ethic. The immigrants farmed, and produced wagons, farm implements, leather goods, furniture and clothing. Before long, New Braunfels was an important commercial center in this growing agricultural area. The citizens voted to access taxes for public schools eighteen years before the Constitution of 1876 provided for this taxation throughout Texas. New Braunfels, Galveston, and Fredericksburg were among the first Texas towns to collect taxes to support schools. The Germans also organized the Germania Singing Society, the Schuetzen Verein, a shooting club, and one of the early Turnvereins (athletic clubs). By the early 1880s, New Braunfels had an estimated 2,000 residents. The International-Great Northern, and the Missouri, Kansas and Texas Railroads established lines through New Braunfels prior to 1890. Landa Park opened as a private resort in 1899. In the early 1930s, the city reserved much of the land along the Comal and Guadalupe Rivers for public use by purchasing Cypress Bend and Landa Parks. Today the industrial sector and tourism contribute greatly to the town’s economic success. New Braunfels is located at the intersection of IH-35 and SH 46, 51 miles southwest of Elroy, 48.3 miles southwest of Austin, 18.3 miles southwest of San Marcos, 35.6 miles southwest of Lockhart, 36 miles northwest of Luling, 15.7 miles northwest of Seguin, 33.5 miles northeast of San Antonio, 18.8 miles northeast of Schertz, 16 miles northwest of Cibolo, 43 miles northeast of Helotes, 16.7 miles northeast of Garden Ridge, 25.5 miles southeast of Bulverde, 37 miles southeast of Kendalia, 24 miles southeast of Spring Branch, and 15.3 miles southeast of Canyon Lake and the town of Startzville, Texas.
  
Gruene (Green) Historic Town & Photos:
This historic German town was established prior to 1850 as the community of Goodwin. It has been designated a Historic Town by the state of Texas. It was once a center for the area cotton industry. In 1872, the Gruene family purchased a large tract of land and made agreements with a number of families to share crop the 6,000 acres. In 1888, Henry D. Gruene built the Gruene Mercantile Store at the best fording site on the Guadalupe River. He then built the 1880s dance hall (Gruene Hall), and a cotton gin. His beautiful 1872 Victorian house and renovated outbuildings now house the Gruene Mansion Inn which is listed in the National Register of Historic Places. In the 1880s, the International-Great Northern Railroad arrived and the town was thereafter known as Gruene, although the post office retained the name Goodwin. The town thrived until the boll weevil destroyed the cotton crops in the 1920s. The town went into rapid decline prior to the Great Depression and never recovered. Today Gruene is within the city limits of New Braunfels. It is internationally known for the live music and dancing at Gruene Hall (located adjacent to the Gruene Mansion Inn). Additional Gruene attractions include the old Gruene water tower, the refurbished cotton gin which now houses a restaurant, the Gruene River Grill, quaint shops located in restored houses and buildings, and the Gruene General Store which features a soda fountain, and sells homemade fudge, and antiques. The 1845 Antoinette’s Cottage was the first house Ernest Gruene built in town. From Austin take IH-35 South. Take Exit 191 and go west (right) on FM 306. Go to the second light and turn left on Hunter Road which dead ends at Gruene Hall. Gruene is located approximately 3 miles northeast of downtown New Braunfels.  
 
New Braunfels Main Plaza:
The plaza (traffic circle) is located at San Antonio and SH 46/Seguin Avenue (State Spur 453). A fountain, a bandstand and two statues are located in the center of the traffic circle. The plaza is surrounded by pavers honoring individuals. These pavers may be purchased from city hall. From Austin take IH-35 South; take Exit #187 (Seguin Avenue) in New Braunfels and turn left at the light. Follow Seguin Avenue to Main Plaza (traffic circle) in downtown New Braunfels.  
 
Comal County Courthouse, 1898:
The limestone courthouse was designed in Romanesque Revival style by famous courthouse architect James Riely Gordon. A courthouse extension was added at a later date. This courthouse is almost identical to Gordon’s red brick Lee County Courthouse in Giddings. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The 2010 Comal County census was 108,472. 150 Seguin Avenue. From Austin take IH-35 South; take Exit #187 (Seguin Avenue) in New Braunfels and turn left at the light. Follow Seguin Avenue to Main Plaza (traffic circle) in downtown New Braunfels. Go halfway around the traffic circle and exit right back onto Seguin Avenue by the courthouse.

Prince Solms Park Veterans Memorial:
(830) 221-4350.100 Leibscher Drive.  Map
 
Timber Ridge Park & Veterans Memorial Walkway in Vintage Oaks Community, 23 Acres:
Park amenities include benches, a tree swing, walking trails, a 10 acre wildflower sanctuary, and the Veterans Memorial Walkway. The walkway features names of veterans, some dating back to the Revolutionary War. The subdivision is located at 1110 Vintage Way, 78132.