Contact
 
 
County
Hall
Region
Panhandle Plains
Population
2010 Census - 2,290
2000 Census - 2,479
Nearby
Towns
Memphis, Texas
null
Memphis Texas History:
In 1889, J.C. Montgomery purchased land for a townsite north of Salisbury on the Fort Worth and Denver City Railway. Montgomery, former land owner W. Robertson, J.W. Brice and T.J. Woods established a townsite company and platted the town. The first buildings were Kelly’s law office, a rooming house (later the Memphis Hotel), a general store, a drugstore, and several residences. The postal authorities denied several names for the post office. Finally in 1890, the postal authorities accepted the name Memphis for the town post office. Robertson was the first postmaster. In a heated election in 1876, Memphis was elected over Salisbury as the county seat of the newly formed Hall County. Because Memphis did not have a depot, citizens took to smearing the tracks with lye soap, resulting in an agreement between town promoters and the railroad for the railroad to establish a depot in 1891. Salisbury residents and businesses moved to Memphis to be closer to the railroad, and Memphis became a commercial and shipping center for area farms and ranches. A brick courthouse was constructed in 1892. By the 1920s Memphis had modern utilities, a cotton compress, three hotels, brick school buildings, and a Carnegie Library. The Hall County Old Settlers' Reunion (later the Hall County Picnic Association) was established in 1935. Four years the group staged a rodeo as part of the annual two-day celebration. Memphis continues to be a farm supply center. Memphis is noted for its tree-lined streets, City Park, two swimming pools, community center, and fifty blocks of brick paving laid in 1926. For town information call or email the Memphis Chamber of Commerce. Memphis is located at the intersection of U.S. 287 (Boykin Drive) and SH 256 (Noel Street), approximately 55.5 miles northeast of Quitaque, 40 miles northeast of Turkey, 87 miles southeast of Amarillo, 26.6 miles southeast of Clarendon, 41.8 miles south of McLean, 58 miles southwest of Shamrock, 32.8 miles southwest of Wellington, 59 miles northwest of Quanah, 31 miles northwest of Childress, and 32 miles north of Paducah, Texas.
 
Hall County Courthouse, 1923:
The brick and concrete courthouse was designed in Texas Renaissance style. The courthouse’s red brick exterior matches the town’s red brick streets. The 2010 Hall County census was 3,353. (806) 259-2511. 512 Main Street.
 
Hall County Museumin Heritage Hall:
This museum contains local history displays and natural science exhibits. It also hosts special displays such as crafts during the Memphis Music & Heritage Festival. It is located in the stunning First National Bank Building. The Hall County Monument is located outside the building. To view the exhibits, call Molly Moffitt at (806) 259-2983, or Karen Crisman at (806) 259-3253. The building is located on the courthouse square at 6th and Main.
 
Memphis Public Library:
The library provides traditional library programs, children, youth and adult programs, summer programs, public access computers with internet connections, and free Wi-Fi. Open Mon & Fri, 1pm-6pm; Tue & Thu, 9am-noon, and 1pm-6pm; Sat, 9am-1pm. (806) 259-2062. 303 South 8th Avenue.
 
The Pit Stop Bar-B-Q:
They serve traditional breakfasts, BBQ and other menu items. (806) 259-1234. 317 North Boykin Drive. Reviews