Contact
 
 
County
Burnet
Region
Hill Country
Population
2010 Census - 6,077
2000 Census - 4,959
Nearby
Towns
Marble Falls, Texas
null
Marble Falls Texas History:
As early as 1817, the 20 foot falls for which the town was named were a landmark for travelers who referred to the falls as “Great Falls” or “Marble Falls,” after the pink granite located in the area. The falls were undulated by the waters of Lake Marble Falls in 1961, and are only partially visible when lake levels are low. In 1854, Charles S. Todd’s attempt to establish a town at the falls failed. In 1886, Adam Rankin Johnson purchased a controlling interest in the Baker grant which included the falls area. In June 1887, Johnson and the nine other owners of the land around the falls established the Texas Mining and Improvement Company which began selling lots in July. In 1885, Gustav Wilke, the subcontractor building the state capitol building in Austin, constructed a narrow-gauge railroad from Granite Mountain, fourteen miles south of Burnet, to Burnet where he established a yard to prepare the granite that was used in the construction of the capitol building. The granite was also used to construct the Burnet County Courthouse. In 1889, the Northwestern Railroad built a line between Granite Mountain and Marble Falls. The Marble Falls post office was established the same year. By 1890, Marble falls had two churches, a cotton gin and gristmill, a tannery, a shoe factory, three general stores, a hotel and a newspaper, and approximately 500 residents. The town incorporated in 1907. The 1871 plans to dam the Colorado River at the falls never came to fruition. A similar 1910 plan was not completed. A small dam was completed in 1925. The Max Starcke Dam was completed in 1951 for hydroelectricity; Lake Marble Falls was impounded in 1961. Since the 1960s, the town’s population has steadily increased due to the popularity of lakeside living, and lake recreation. In 2000, the town had 817 recorded businesses. Marble Falls is located on Lake Marble Falls and the Colorado River at the intersection of U.S. 281 and FM 1431 (10th Street), 5 miles east of Cottonwood Shores and Lake LBJ, 37.7 miles southeast of Llano, 26 miles southeast of Buchanan Dam and Lake Buchanan, 8 miles southeast of Granite Shoals and Inks Lake, 12.4 miles southeast of Kingsland, 12.9 miles south of Burnet, 23.5 miles southwest of Bertram, 49 miles northwest of Austin, 31.4 miles northwest of Lakeway, 31.6 miles northwest of Bee Cave, 15 miles northwest of Spicewood and Lake Travis, 11 miles northeast of Round Mountain, and 23 miles northeast of Johnson City, Texas.
 
Granite Mountain:
From a roadside park, visitors may observe the quarrying of the same pink granite that was used in the construction of the state capitol building in Austin, and in the Burnet County Courthouse in Burnet. The mountain is located on FM 1431 south of Burnet, and just north of Marble Falls.