Gulf Coast
2010 Census - 7,302
2000 Census - 6,115
La Feria, Texas
La Feria Texas History:
In 1777, Capt. Juan Jose de Hinojosa and Rosa Maria Hinojosa de Balli received a Spanish land grant that included lands in Reynosa, Camargo, and Matamoros in Tamaulipas (Mexico, and all the Lower Rio Grande Valley in Texas. The Balli family established several farms, and established their headquarters on the La Feria portion of the land grant. The Balli family maintained control of their lands through the mid-1800s. The community that grew up around the ranch headquarters remained a ranching center into the twentieth century. G. J. Schoenberg established the town of La Feria in 1909. The post office was established that same year. In 1911, the St. Louis, Brownsville and Mexico Railroad established a depot a mile from La Feria and named the railroad stop Bixby. Bixby was a threat to the development of La Feria, so in 1912, La Feria residents stole the Bixby depot and moved it to La Feria. In 1915, the population of La Feria was approximately 200. La Feria incorporated in 1933 with a population of 1,594 and 90 businesses. In 1976, the 1909 Rosita Longoria house was serving as the La Feria Museum. La Feria is located at the intersection of U.S. 83 and FM 506, 14.7 miles northeast of Progreso, 7.4 miles northeast of Santa Maria, 27 miles east of McAllen, 17.4 miles east of Donna, 12 miles east of Weslaco, 5.6 miles east of Mercedes, 7 miles south of Santa Rosa, 21 miles southwest of Rio Hondo, 9 miles southwest of Harlingen, 48 miles northwest of South Padre Island, 34 miles northwest of Brownsville, and 11 miles northwest of Los Indios, Texas.
Historic La Feria, Texas Historical Marker Text:
“Site is on land surveyed 1777 for Spain's grants to Don Juan Hinojosa and Jose Mari Balli, ancestors of priest for whom Padre Island was named. Rancho raised cattle, sheep, and goats. By 1790's it had a fairground (Hence name, La Feria) for Fiestas, horse racing, and other sports. After Mexican War (1846-48), Balli heirs had title confirmed by Texas. In 1850, Nathaniel White (d. 1901), cattleman and reputed smuggler, opened Anglo ranching here. In 1906, Townsite of La Feria was platted under original name. It is now a trade center for a thriving agricultural area.” The marker is located one block east of U.S. 83 at the FM 506 intersection near the American Legion Hall.
Historic Rosalio Longoria House, 1909, Texas Historical Marker Text:
“The oldest residence in La Feria, it was built by local carpenter Felipe Perez for Rosalio Ponce Longoria. The additions date to the 1950s.” 223 Magnolia Street.
Historic Dunlap House Texas Historical Marker Text:
“Rio Grande Valley developer W.E. Stewart began construction of this adobe brick and stucco residence in 1912. Before it was completed, he sold the house to his employee Bailey H. Dunlap (1886-1957), a native of Illinois. Dunlap started La Feria's first bank, the Cameron County Bank, and was involved in real estate dealings throughout the valley. He served as La Feria's first mayor in 1915 and participated in numerous civic and religious organizations. In the 1920 and 1930s, the structure was enlarged and remodeled by W.E. Strickland, the original contractor.” 140 E. Magnolia Street.
La Feria Cultural Arts and Community Center:
This project is in the planning stages.
Bailey H. Dunlap Memorial Library:
The library provides traditional library programs, children, youth and adult programs, summer programs, public access computers with internet connections, and free Wi-Fi. Basic fax and copy services are available at the front desk. The annual summer reading program for ages 4 through 12 is held on Tuesdays and Thursdays; activities include story time, arts and crafts, games, prizes and more. Open Mon, Wed, & Fri, noon-6pm; Tue & Thu, noon-8pm; Sat, 9am-3pm; closed Sundays. (956) 797-1242. 400 South Main Street.