Contact
 
 
County
Palo Pinto
Region
Panhandle Plains
Population
2010 Census - 16,788
2000 Census - 16,946
Nearby
Towns
Mineral Wells, Texas
null
Mineral Wells Texas History:
Judge James A. Lynch settled at the site in 1877, and platted the town of Mineral Wells in 1881. Judge Lynch dug a well that produced mineral water which the he attributed to curing his rheumatism. The town became famous for its mineral water and by 1885 it became a health resort with people flocking to its bathhouses. The Texas and Pacific Railway began servicing Mineral Wells in 1891. The town has always attracted a steady stream of new residents and currently is a popular recreation and retirement area. Mineral Wells is located just east of the Brazos River at the intersection of U.S. 281 (Oak Avenue) and U.S. 180, 53 miles northwest of Fort Worth, 19 miles northwest of Weatherford, 44 miles northwest of Granbury, 43 miles north of Stephenville, 59 miles northeast of Eastland, 32.6 miles northeast of Strawn, 31 miles northeast of Gordon, 23 miles northeast of Palo Pinto, 39 miles southeast of Graham, 31 miles southeast of Jacksboro, 25 miles southeast of Possum Kingdom Lake, and 15 miles southeast of Graford, Texas.
 
Mineral Wells Airport:
The U.S. Army built the airport in 1943 as a support facility for nearby Camp Wolters. It was later closed, but was reopened in 1951 as Wolters Air Force Base. During the Vietnam War the Downing Heliport was added as a training facility for helicopter pilots. Amenities at this city owned airport include a 6,000 foot long runway, hanger rentals, aviation fuel, aircraft ramp or tie-down parking, the Eagle Flying Museum, rental cars, and courtesy cars. The terminal building features a large waiting room, a pilot’s lounge, a conference room, several offices, Wi-Fi, a public phone, showers and restrooms, and a small gift shop that sells merchandise for the nearby National Vietnam War Museum. Open daily, 6am-10pm. (940) 328-7808. 5300 Airport Road, Mineral Wells, 76067.