Contact
 
 
County
Travis
Region
Hill Country
Population
2010 Census - 5,037
2000 Census - 1,204
Nearby
Towns
Manor, Texas
null
Manor Texas History:
In 1832, James B. Manor, a friend of Sam Houston, moved from Tennessee to Houston. In 1836, he built a home on the east bank of Gilleland Creek just west of Manor. A short time later, E.D. Townes built a home on the west bank of the creek. In 1842, Manor constructed a two story house which soon became a stage stop. The Grassdale post office operated out of this house from 1859 until it was discontinued in 1860. In 1871, the Gregg post office was established in the Manor’s home. Also in 1871, the Houston and Texas Central Railway constructed a line through Manor on a right-of-way donated by Manor. In 1872, the post office was renamed Manor, and the townsite was platted. Cotton, cottonseed and grains were the area’s major industries. By the mid-1880s, Manor had a school, three churches, six general stores, and 125 residents. The town incorporated in 1913. By the late 1920s, Manor had approximately 1,000 residents. The town’s proximity to Austin has helped spur the town’s growth. Many Manor residents work in Austin. The town has been the location for several movies, including “What’s Eating Gilbert.” The Manor’s QR Code System allows visitors to use their smart phones to read about local historical sites. As of 2012, the town was working on the plans for a new city hall. The current city hall is located in the police station. Manor is located just east of the SH 45/SH 130 Toll Road at the intersection of U.S. 290 and FM 973, 31 miles southeast of Hudson Bend and Lake Travis, 25.4 miles southeast of Cedar Park, 24.4 miles southeast of Georgetown, 17.4 miles southeast of Round Rock, 37.8 miles southwest of Granger, 27 miles southwest of Taylor, 19 miles southwest of Coupland, 6 miles southwest of New Sweden, 13.5 miles northwest of Elgin, 42 miles northwest of Giddings, 29.5 miles northwest of Bastrop, 25.6 miles northwest of Cedar Creek, 9.4 miles northwest of Webberville, 22 miles northeast of Elroy, 15.5 miles northeast of Del Valle, and 14 miles northeast of Austin, Texas.  
 
New Sweden, Texas & Historic Church:
New Sweden dates from 1876, when the community of Knight's Ranch took its name from the New Sweden Evangelical Lutheran Church. The church steeple can be seen for miles around. The post office was discontinued in 1902 when the town’s mail was rerouted through Manor. New Sweden is no longer a distinct community, but features the church (Website), a cemetery and beautiful farmlands. (512) 281-0056. (512) 947-9044. 12809 New Sweden Church Road, Manor, TX 78653. From U.S. 290, go northeast on FM 973 for five miles; watch for the steeple; turn right on New Sweden Church Road and drive past the church cemetery to the church. Be careful at the cemetery; some unhappy dogs live across the road.