Contact
 
 
County
Montgomery
Region
Pineywoods
Population
2010 Census - 1,393
2000 Census - 1,111
Nearby
Towns
Magnolia, Texas
null
Magnolia Texas History:
When the town was first settled in the late 1840s it was known as Mink’s Prairie. By 1850 the name was shortened to Mink. The Mink post office was established in 1885. When the International-Great Northern Railroad built a line through the area in 1902, the town of Mink moved to be adjacent to the railroad. The railroad renamed the new town Melton, but the U.S. Post Office confused it with Milton so the town was renamed Magnolia for the nearby magnolia trees. The Magnolia post office was established in 1903. By 1915 Magnolia had a population of 150 and telephone service, a sawmill, Baptist and Methodist churches, two general stores, a physician, a railroad and express agent, a hotel, a livery and real estate office, a cattle dealer, a druggist, a confectionery, a cotton gin, and a blacksmith. The Magnolia oilfield was established a mile east of town by the 1940s. Magnolia incorporated in 1968. Today it is a bedroom community of nearby larger towns. Magnolia is located at the intersection of FM 1744 (Magnolia Boulevard) and FM 1488, 29 miles southeast of Navasota, 12 miles southeast of Plantersville, 53.4 miles southwest of Huntsville, 32 miles southwest of Willis, 24 miles southwest of Conroe, 15.8 miles southwest of Montgomery, 40 miles west of Splendora, 37 miles slightly northwest of New Caney, 43.8 miles northwest of Houston, 25 miles northwest of Spring, 22 miles northwest of Shenandoah, 12.4 miles northwest of Tomball, 21 miles northeast of Waller, and 23.6 miles northeast of Hempstead, Texas.    
 
History of the Painted Churches of Texas:
The more than 20 painted churches in Texas were established by German or Czech emigrants. The churches are so named because almost every interior surface area is painted in vivid colors. Some church interiors are painted in more detail than others. Wall inscriptions are in German or Czech. Many of the churches are small with high steeples. Many of the wooden churches are painted white. The 1886 Wesley Brethren Church in Wesley is the oldest and most primitive of the Painted Churches in Texas. It was a former school house. The 1913 Church of the Guardian Angel in Wallis, Texas was the last painted church built in Texas. In 1984, fifteen of these churches were added to the National Register of Historic Places. Five of the painted churches are located in Fayette County and five are located in Lavaca County. The most famous of the painted churches are the High Hill, Ammannsville, Dubina and Praha churches in Fayette County. All four of these churches are beautifully painted, and all are located within a short distance of each other. The Schulenburg Chamber of Commerce offers tours of these four churches. Call (866) 504-5294 for a tour. The majority of the painted churches offer regular mass or church services. Photos  
 
St. Mary's Catholic Church (The Nativity of the Blessed Mary), Plantersville:
The first church was constructed by Polish and German-Russian immigrants in 1873; the Rev. Joseph Klein was the resident pastor. Cordelia Baker donated 10 acres of land to the Galveston diocese for the present day church. In 1907 St. Mary’s split into separate Polish and German congregations; the Poles founded St. Joseph’s Church in nearby Stoneham. In 1917 St. Mary’s was struck by lightning and burned to the ground. The church was replaced within the year by the current painted church. The church is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. (936) 894-2223. The church is located at 8227 CR 205, Plantersville, TX 77363. Church Website 
 
Historic Train Depot Complex & Museum:
The depot has been restored and is now houses a museum and is used as a community meeting place and event venue. A red caboose is located behind the depot. Other facilities include a store and Dr. Ware’s physician’s office from Mink, Texas. Amenities include a picnic pavilion, picnic tables, a lighted stage, restrooms and parking. Museum exhibits include railroad lanterns, photos, Grogan Cochran Lumber Company store coupon books, memorabilia from football player Buddy Dial, memorabilia from the town of Magnolia, a potbellied stove, and railroad memorabilia. The depot was moved to its current site due to highway expansion plans involving the old site. Future museum plans include the addition of a sawmill. Annual depot events include Depot day, the Haunted Depot and Spooky Caboose event at Halloween, and the Christmas Celebration. The complex is maintained and operated by the Magnolia Historical Society. Admission is free; donations are accepted. The complex is located adjacent to the Magnolia Community Building in downtown Magnolia. 426 Melton Street. (281) 356-8514.   
 
Malcolm Purvis Library:
The library provides traditional library programs, genealogy materials, children, youth and adult programs, summer programs, public access computers with internet connections, and free Wi-Fi. The library has a Genealogy & Local History Room. It also offers free Hoopla Digital, a Netflix type service permitting members to download movies, e-books, music and other entertainment to their personal devices. Up to five may be downloaded each month either in the library or online. The Montgomery County Memorial Library System has a Little Free Library that provides access to free materials through book exchanges. This little library may be checked out by selected individuals and organizations – it travels several times per year to be temporarily installed at various publicly accessible locations within the county.  Open Mon, 9am-8pm; Tue-Thu, 9am-6pm; Fri-Sat, 10am-4pm. (936) 442-7704. 510 Melton Street, Magnolia
 
The Friendship Center & Magnolia Community Center:
The Friendship Center provides meals, transportation, senior programs, case management, and activities for seniors. Lunch is served at 12pm. (281) 259-6665. 31355 Friendship Drive, 77355.
 
Bernhardt Winery:
The B & B is located in a loft above the old winery. Tastings are offered Tue-Fri, 12pm-5pm; Sat, 12pm-6pm; Sun, 1pm-5pm, and by appointment. A $5 fee applies to tastings. Tastings may be pared with lunch or dessert. They host live music, such as a summer concert series. (936) 894-9829. (936) 520-8684. 9043 CR 204, Plantersville. Email  Plantersville Map; Click to Enlarge  Plantersville Texas Area Map 
 
Sweet Magnolia Pickins Farmer’s & Artisans Market:
Vendors sell fresh vegetables, fruits and herbs, raw honey, fresh eggs and meats, goat cheese, goat milk soaps, Texas olive oil, tamales, Asian foods, baked goods, livestock, crafts and many other products. The market is open the second and fourth Sunday of each month, 11am-3pm. (832) 934-2648. The market is located at the intersection of FM 1774 and FM 1488.
 
Helping Hands Community Garden & Personal Garden Plots:
The community garden is staffed by volunteers. Volunteers work in the community garden on Wednesday and Friday mornings; hours are seasonal. Tours are available. Families and individuals may also choose a personal garden plot which they may tend at their own convenience. (281) 356-8743. 31355 Friendship Drive in the back left corner at the West Montgomery County Community Development Center.
 
Cross Creek Cattle Company:
Kenton and Cathey Holliday raise chemical, antibiotic, and pesticide free Beefmaster cattle. They sell whole, halves, and split sides of beef. (936) 870-5798. The ranch is located just north of Plantersville at 6512 CR 207B, Plantersville, TX 77363. Email