Contact
 
 
County
Bell
Region
Praries & Lakes
Population
2010 Census - 127,921
2000 Census - 86,911
Nearby
Towns
Killeen, Texas
null
Killeen Texas History:
In 1881, the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railway built a line through the area. The railroad purchased 360 acres of land approximately 2.5 miles southwest of the community of Palo Alto and platted a 70 block town which they named Killeen. Many residents from surrounding settlements moved to the new town. By the end of the year Killeen had the railroad depot, several stores, a saloon, and a school. The town continued to grow. By 1884, the town was an important shipping point for the cotton, wool, and grain produced on local farms. A telephone system was established in 1896; the town received electric lights by 1904 or 1905. The public water system began operating in 1914. Like most small Texas towns, Killeen suffered through the Great Depression, though it was helped to some extent by WPA projects which included paving Killeen streets, installing a new sewage and water system, widening local bridges, and the construction U.S. 190. By 1940, the town had 71 businesses and 1,263 residents. The biggest contribution to Killeen’s growth was the 1942 establishment of Camp Hood. The Camp was renamed Fort Hood in 1950. Fort Hood covers over 335 square miles and is the largest military base in the world. Stillhouse Hallow Lake is located southeast of Killeen, and Belton Lake is located northeast of Killeen. Fort Hood is located on Killeen’s northern city limits. Killeen is located at the intersections of U.S. 190, FM 440 and FM 2410, 68 miles north of Austin, 40 miles north of Georgetown, 41 miles northeast of Liberty Hill, 29 miles northeast of Lampasas, 10.5 miles east of Copperas Cove, 37 miles south of Gatesville, 61 miles southwest of Waco, 36 miles southwest of Moody, 25 miles west of Temple, 21 miles northwest of Salado, 17 miles northwest of Belton, and 5.4 miles northwest of Harker Heights, Texas.
 
Fort Hood Marvin Leath Visitors Center:
Fort Hood is the largest military base in the world. It covers over 335 square miles and is home to the Army III Corps. The visitor center is located in building 69012, adjacent to the main gate just off U.S. 190, 1 mile west of Killeen. The center is open 24 hours a day every day of the year. (254) 287-9909.
 
U. S. Army 1st Cavalry Division’s Horse Cavalry Detachment Tours, Fort Hood:
The Horse Cavalry Detachment is one of several mounted cavalry units on active duty in the U.S. Army. The unit has several purposes including representing the 1st Cavalry Division and the U.S. Army in public appearances throughout the country. The Horse Cavalry Detachment is comprised of 39 soldiers, 36 horses, 7 mules and 1 dog. This self-contained detachment has its own school-trained farriers, saddle makers, boot makers, and veterinary technicians. There is at least one soldier manning the Detachment's barn 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Visitors are welcome to stop by and take a tour of the facilities at any time and watch saddle making, horse shoeing and other activities; call (254) 287-2229.The Detachment’s Demonstration Team consists of eleven troopers and mounts, a muleskinner and swamper with mule team, an M1878 Escort Wagon, an M1841 Light Mountain Howitzer, and a dedicated ground support staff. The mounted demonstration is a thrilling exhibition of the skill and precision required of a trooper while mounted. It includes drill maneuvers at the walk, trot, and gallop followed by demonstrations of the use of the Model 1860 Light Cavalry Saber, M1873 Colt Revolver (commonly known as "the Peacemaker"), and the M1873 Springfield Trapdoor-Model Carbine. There is no charge for the appearance of the Demonstration Team. Demonstrations may be booked by calling (254) 287-7545 or (254) 287-2832. More information is available for the Horse Cavalry Detachment Operations at (254) 288-0405. For HCD Barn tours or visits to the 1st Cavalry facilities call (254) 287-2229. To reach the HCD Barnyou do not have to enter the Fort Hood gate. From IH-35 South from Dallas, take exit #299 onto U.S. 190 West. Follow U.S. 190 to the Fort Hood Main gate located 1 mile west of Killeen. Take the exit ramp and follow the signs to the Marvin Leath Visitor Center; turn right off the main road to enter the Visitor Center parking lot. Once in the parking lot look ahead and to your right; you will see the signs for the Horse Cavalry Detachment and Hunt and Saddle club beside a driveway. Follow that driveway to the first parking lot on your left. The big red barn beside that lot is the HCD Barn. Our CQ Desk (start point for Barn Tours) is on your left just inside the front door.
 
Central Texas State Veterans Cemetery:
This cemetery is located on 174 acres donated by Fort Hood. The Groundbreaking Ceremony for the first Texas State Veterans Cemetery was held on November 11, 2003, with the Dedication Ceremony held on October 5, 2005. The first internment was January 4, 2006. Open daily, 8am-5pm. (254) 616-1770. 11463 SH 195, 76542.