Contact
 
 
County
Robertson
Region
Praries & Lakes
Population
2010 Census - Unknown
2000 Census - 150
Nearby
Towns
New Baden, Texas
null
New Baden Texas History:
The town was founded in 1881 by the German Texas Land and Immigration Company. Immigration company trustees Matern Leber, J. G. Meyer, and A. B. Langermanbuilt a two-story structure known as the Immigrant House and later renamed it the Colony House. The second floor housed the German immigrants until they could build their own residences. The first floor was used for religious services and for the school. The town was named after Baden-Baden, Germany. The New Baden post office was established in 1882. The post office and railway ticket office were housed in the Meyer home. The home also served as the freight depot. Soon, a drugstore, a hotel, a church, and a railway station were built. By 1885, New Baden had 40 residents; it increased to 175 by 1915. The town had 105 residents in 1990. By 2000 the population had increased to 150.In 1999, the Schultz family sold the Historic New Baden International Great Northern Railway train depot. The depot was moved to San Marcos where it now houses the New Baden Bakery. The 1884 Schultz Store is still in business. The Rabe Store used to be located across the street from the Schultz Store. Store owner JohnGerhard Rabe III had a crow in a cage that delighted visitors. Mr. Rabe also had a gristmill in the back of the store where he ground corn brought in by farmers and their families. He'd keep a portion of the cornmeal produced as his fee. The old store currently houses a woodworking studio.New Baden is located at the intersection of U.S. 79 and FM 1940, 41.5 miles northeast of College Station, 35 miles northeast of Bryan, 44 miles northeast of Cameron, 17 miles northeast of Hearne, 17 miles northeast of Calvert, 4 miles northeast of Franklin, 20.5 miles southeast of Bremond, 49 miles southeast of Groesbeck, and 34.4 miles southwest of Centerville, Texas. 
 
New Baden, Texas Historical Marker Text:
"Founded by German, Prussian, & Swiss immigrants in 1881, New Baden was named for the German town of Baden-Baden. The immigrants built a central building known as the Colony House to provide lodging for families while homes were under construction. Located on the route of the International & Great Northern Railroad, the town soon boasted stores, churches, a school, and a railroad station. Most of the residents were farmers and the economy was based on agriculture. Population declined in the 1940s, but New Baden remains a viable rural community."  
Old New Baden Water Tower:
Early settlers built a water tower and pumping station on a hill just outside of New Baden. The well was connected to a windmill which drew the water out of the ground. This water was then stored in the water tower. The water reached the community at the bottom of the hill via pipes.
 
New Baden Cemetery:
The wrought-iron entrance with inscription was created by local artisan Hardy Boyd for the New Baden Cemetery Association. Several of the headstones in the old section are made of ornately carved white marble.  
 
New Baden Jamboree in New Baden, TX, First Saturday of each Month:
The New Baden Community Center is the site of the New Baden Jamboree, which takes place on the first Saturday night of each month. This event began in 1954. Guest musicians are invited to bring their instruments and join in. Hamburgers and other menu items are served 5pm-9pm. Music is from 6pm-10pm. Admission is free. The community center is housed in the 1931 New Baden School building. New Baden is located on U.S. 79 and FM 1940, 4 miles northeast of Franklin, Texas. New Baden Texas Map; Click to Enlarge  New Baden Texas Area Map
 
Annual Robertson County Fair, Late March:  
Activities include livestock shows, arts and crafts, a carnival, a pet show, live music, and more. The fairgrounds are located at 12185 Fairground Road (on FM 485), Hearne, Texas 77859. The fairgrounds are west of SH 6. 
 
New Baden General Store (Schultz Store), 1884, New Baden, TX:
The grocery store has operated out of this building since 1906. Trade tokens were often used for sale. Today the store sells locally grown fresh produce, groceries, gas, hardware, feed store items, and has a meat market, a deli counter, and a short order grill selling delicious hamburgers. The original building is a one story structure with a rolled tin canopy and brick parapet. New Baden is located on U.S. 79 and FM 1940, 4 miles northeast of Franklin, Texas. Reviews  New Baden Texas Map; Click to Enlarge  New Baden Texas Area Map 
 
Robertson County Birding:
Texas Bird Checklist with Photos
Robertson County Bird Checklist with Photos
 
Lake Bryan Information:
This 828 surface acre lake was impounded in 1974 and has a maximum depth of 45 feet. The lake is used for recreational purposes and used as a cooling reservoir for the Bryan Texas Utilities’ power plant. Amenities include a boat ramp, courtesy docks, picnic tables, several BBQ grills, a reservable picnic pavilion, volleyball courts, mountain biking and hiking trails, a stage, and the Lakeside Icehouse restaurant. Tent and RV campsites feature water and electricity or only electric; water is located nearby. Camping reservations are NOT available. Trails include the 10.7 mile East Loop Trail and the 9.31 West Loop Trail. Lake activities include fishing, swimming, jet skiing, water skiing, wind surfing, picnicking and volleyball. The lake is home to the Texas A & M University Rowing Club, the Sailing Team, and the Sailing Club. $5 day use fees and $10 night use fees apply per vehicle. The night use fee includes the camping pass. The park is open year round. The restaurant hours are seasonal. A park facilities map is available online. The lake, park and restaurant are managed by the Bryan Texas Utilities Department. Park Booth: (979) 822-6981. Restaurant: (979) 361-0861. Operator: (979) 361-0861, Ext. 101. The lake is located at 8200 Sandy Point Road. The lake and park are located 5 miles west of Bryan. For more complete lake information, go to the Lake Bryan Home Page. Email  Trail Status
 
Fort Boggy State Park Information:
In early 1840, the Johyn Byrns and Christopher Staley families from Tennessee established a settlement along Boggy Creek. They were soon joined by the Erwin families and other settlers. At this time, the Keechi Indians lived in a village located approximately 3 miles from present day Centerville, and the Kickapoo Indians lived along the Trinity River near today’s Kickapoo Shoals. Both tribes were prone to raiding the local settlements for livestock. After Staley was killed in an Indian raid shortly after he arrived in the area, the locals built Fort Boggy in the Erwin Family settlement. Captain Thomas Greer and his men were assigned to the fort. Within a year of their arrival, Greer was killed in an Indian raid. Within a few years the need for the fort decreased. The fort fell into disrepair as area settlement shifted to nearby Leona. Today all that remains of the fort is a wooden shack and its Centennial marker. The parkland was donated to TPWD by Eileen Crain Sullivan in 1985. A beautiful open air group picnic pavilion was built out of iron ore rock and hand-hewn pine to resemble the structures built in Texas parks in the 1930s. Habitat at this 1,847 acre park consists mostly of wooded rolling hills, bottom land meadows, wetland, and Savannah grasslands made up of bluestem Indian grass, purpletop, switchgrass and stands of the endangered Centerville Brazos mint plant. Fishing is available in the 15 acre lake. Wildlife includes raccoons, white-tailed deer, squirrels, foxes, and beavers. A park entrance fee applies.For more park information, watch the Park Video and go to the Fort Boggy State Park Home Page.This day use only park is located 4 miles south of Centerville on the west side of SH 75.
 
Learn to Camp at Texas Parks & Wildlife State Parks' Outdoor Family Camping Workshops:
Theseworkshops are family camping sessions designed to teach camping skills to those who do not know how to camp; everything is provided from tent to broom. Gear includes a coffee pot, dishes, cooking pots, a camp stove, a battery operated fan and lantern, air mattresses, and a tent. Basic skills taught include pitching a tent, making a campfire, cooking on a propane camp stove, geocaching and using a GPS. Wildlife viewing, fishing and kayaking are available depending on the park and its facilities. After making reservations, families will be sent a packet of information which includes a grocery list. Those interested in this program may sign up for E-Mail Updates on Currently Scheduled Workshops. (512) 389-8903. Calendar
 
Hunt Texas Online Connection:
More than 95% of Texas land is privately owned, making it hard for hunters to find affordable hunting opportunities. The Texas Parks and Wildlife has a huge public hunting program, and has developed a new service to help hunters find hunting places. This new service is provided free by the TPWD. It allows landowners to list available hunting leases or spots that have opened up, and allows hunters to find private hunting leases according to their preferences. 
                      
Hunting, Texas Parks and Wildlife, General Hunting Information
Hunting, Public Hunting on State Lands, TPWD
Hunter Education
Hunting Season by Animal
Texas Parks & Wildlife Department Donations