Contact
 
 
County
Cochran
Region
Panhandle Plains
Population
2010 Census - 2,006
2000 Census - 2,249
Nearby
Towns
Morton, Texas
null
Morton Texas:
Two years after prominent cattle baron Christopher C. Slaughter died, his heirs dissolved his cattle company and divided his estate. His eldest daughter Minnie Slaughter Veal hired land agent Morton J. Smith to sell her land. Morton sold farm tracts and used a portion of the remaining land to establish the town of Morton. He platted Morton in 1923, and sold lots from his land office which is still located on the east side of the town square. In 1924, Morton was elected the county seat of Cochran County. A church was established in a 1928 building that referred to as the Mule Barn because of its dirt floor and tow-sack curtains. Morton incorporated in 1933. In 1941 the Littlefield Civilian Conservation Corps camp moved 175 young men to Morton. The group worked to prevent wind and water erosion by building fences, planting trees, and developing farm and pasture lands. Though Morton was bypassed by the railroad and major highways, it has remained the county seat. Morton is a banking and supply center for area farms and ranches which produce cotton, cattle and feed grains. Other industries include meat packing and gas and sulfur refining. Morton is located 14 miles east of the New Mexico state line at the intersection of SH 114 (Levelland Highway) and SH 214 (Main Street), 54 miles north of Denver City, 39 miles north of Plains, 35 miles south of Muleshoe, 80 miles southwest of Dimmitt, 94 miles west of Crosbyton, 56 miles northwest of Lubbock, 56.7 miles northwest of Brownfield, and 26 miles northwest of Levelland, Texas.
 
Texas Plains Trail Region:
The 52-county Texas Plains Trail Region includes the Texas Panhandle and Plains. It stretches from the Texas towns of Big Spring and Colorado City in the southern portion of the region, to Muleshoe and the New Mexico state border in the west, to Quanah and Knox City in the east, and to the top of the Texas Panhandle, from Dalhart in the west to Lipscomb in the east. The Texas Plains Trail Region organization is a nonprofit heritage tourism organization affiliated with the Texas Historical Commission. TPTR acts as an economic development initiative that helps Texas communities to promote their historic and cultural resources, and increase tourism to their areas. The organization helps promote travel to heritage destinations and historic sites. A name repeatedly mentioned in the history of West Texas is Cynthia Ann Parker, a young child captured during a raid on Fort Parker. She grew up among the Comanches, married Comanche chief Peta Nocona, and had three children, Pecos, Quanah and Prairie Flower. In 1860, a party of Texas Rangers led by Sul Ross, a future governor of Texas, rescued her and her infant daughter Prairie Flower; Charles Goodnight participated in this raid. Her son Quanah became famous as the last great war chief of the Comanche. One of TPTR’s most visible recent projects is the Quanah Parker Trail. When the project is completed, giant Quanah Parker arrow markers will have been installed in all 52 counties in the Texas Plains Trail Region. Some counties will have more than one installation. The arrows were created and donated by New Home, Texas, artist Charles Smith. As of early 2014, over 70 arrows had been installed in almost 50 counties. Each arrow will have a plaque giving pertinent historical information. (806) 747-1997. P.O. Box 88, Lubbock, Texas 79408. Email  Plains Trail Map
 
Cochran County AgriLife Extension Office:
The Texas A & M AgriLife Extension offices are responsible for 4-H and youth programs, agriculture and natural programs, family and consumer science, and community development. They also have hunting information. They manage head start, senior citizen, home economics, agriculture, 4-H and other programs. If your tomatoes have blight, contact them. If you need to know something regarding a small town, contact them or the county judge’s office.(806) 266-5215. 200 West Taylor Street, Morton, Texas 79346. Email
 
Cochran County Courthouse, 1926:
This brick and steel courthouse was designed in Texas Renaissance style by W. R. Kaufman; a 1968 remodeling job by the architectural firm of Stiles, Roberts and Messersmith transformed the courthouse into a Modern building. Morton County was the last Texas county to be organized. The 2010 Cochran County census was 3,127. (806) 266-5508. 100 North Main Street, Morton, Texas 79346.
 
Texas’ Last Frontier Historical Museum:
The museum features exhibits depicting the history of Morton and the area. Open Mon, 2pm-5pm; Thu, 2pm-4pm, and by appointment. (806) 266-0638. For special appointments call (806) 266-5484. 108 Southwest 1st Street.
 
Whiteface Historical Museum:
The museum is housed in the 1926 Whiteface Hotel building. It features exhibits depicting the history of Whiteface and the surrounding area. (806) 287-1182. The museum and the community gazebo are located on 2nd Street, across from the Whiteface City Hall. Whitehouse is located on SH 125, 12 miles southeast of Morton and 14.4 miles west of Levelland, Texas.
 
Cochran County Love Memorial Library:
The library building was built by the Civilian Conservation Corps in the 1930s. It provides traditional library programs, children, youth and adult programs, summer programs, public access computers with internet connections, and free Wi-Fi. Open Mon-Fri, 9am-5pm; closed 12 noon-1pm for lunch. (806) 266-5051. 318 South Main Street. 
 
Morton Activity Center & Event Venue:
The center is located at 200 West Taylor Street. (806) 266-5200.