Contact
 
 
County
Wood
Region
Pineywoods
Population
2010 Census - 4,515
2000 Census - 5,611
Nearby
Towns
Mineola, Texas
null
Mineola Texas History:
Prior to 1873, the community of Sodom was located on the Mineola site. In 1873 the Texas and Pacific and the International-Great Northern Railroads built lines through the area. It is said that I, G & N Railroad official Major Ira H. Evans plated the townsite and named the town after his daughter Ola, and Minnie Patten, a friend. The Mineola post office opened in 1875, and the town incorporated two years later. By 1890, Mineola had a newspaper, seven churches, schools, hotels, banks, general stores and 2,000 residents. Though the first sixty years, the town’s economy was largely based on the timber industry, livestock and, cotton, fruits and berries. By 1950, cattle and watermelons were major industries. The Mineola Watermelon Festival began in 1948. The town later added sweet potatoes to its list of crops. The town remains a shipping center for area farmers, ranchers and timber interests. Since 1962, the Meredith Foundation has provided large sums for educational and cultural purposes. Mineola is located near the Sabine River at the intersections of U.S. 69, U.S. 80 and SH 37, 47 miles slightly southeast of Terrell, 31 miles slightly southeast of Wills Point, 13 miles east of Grand Saline, 30 miles southeast of Lake Tawakoni, 22.3 miles southeast of Emory, 53 miles southeast of Jim Chapman Lake, 36.7 miles southeast of Sulphur Springs, 19 miles southeast of Lake Fork, 13.3 miles southeast of Alba, 58 miles southwest of Mount Pleasant, 45.5 miles southwest of Pittsburg, 42.6 miles southwest of Mount Vernon, 25.5 miles southwest of Winnsboro, 9.7 miles southwest of Quitman, 40 miles southwest of Gilmer, 45 miles northwest of Longview, 33 miles northwest of Gladewater, 39 miles northwest of Whitehouse and Tyler Lake, 25.7 miles northwest of Tyler, 17.5 miles northwest of Hawkins and Lake Hawkins, 12 miles northwest of Lindale and Tyler State Park, 34 miles north of Chandler and Lake Palestine, 54.4 miles northeast of Athens, 52 miles northeast of Eustace and Purtis Creek State Park, and 30 miles northeast of Canton, Texas. 
 
Mineola Texas Chamber of Commerce:
The Chamber of Commerce and Mineola Visitor Information Center is located in the 1912 First National Bank building. (903) 569-2087. 101 E. Broad Street, Mineola, Texas 75773. Email
 
Historic Train Depot (Amtrak Station), 1906:
The historic 1906 Texas and Pacific Railroad station was restored and now serves as the Amtrak Texas Eagle passenger station. The station is located in the Mineola Transportation Complex at 115 East Front Street. (903) 758-0902. 
 
WPA Post Office Murals History:
During the Great Depression FDR created the New Deal Program to provide jobs for out of work American men by funding construction projects to build post offices and other buildings, and state and local parks. The Works Progress Administration (WPA) was created in May, 1935, under the New Deal Program. The U.S. Treasury Department’s Section of Painting and Sculpture, later known as The Section of Fine Arts, put artists to work by funding Post Office Murals to be placed in the new post offices. Though the majority of the post office art consists of oil paintings on canvas, other art mediums were also used. The murals are located in every state. Post Office Murals Photos
 
Mineola WPA Post Office Mural, 1938:
The “New and Old Methods of Transportation” mural was painted by Bernard Zakheim in1938. The mural was refurbished by the son and grandsons of Bernard Zakheim and now hangs in the Mineola Historical Museum in the old Mineola Post Office building. (903) 569-6983. 114 North Pacific Street.
 
Mineola Historical Museum:  
The museum features exhibits depicting Mineola’s railroad transportation history, town history, and exhibits of art, local news and communications. The WPA post office mural is housed in the museum. The museum is located in the old post office building. Open Thu-Sat, 10am-3pm; admission is free. (903) 569-6983. 114 North Pacific Street. Facebook       
 
Royal Flying Circus Aviation Museum at Wisener Field:
The airfield (Mineola Airport) was established by the U.S. Army in 1917. The Wisner family purchased the field in 1920. It is the oldest privately owned airport in Texas, and is a Texas Historical Landmark. The museum is located on the historic Wisener Field (3F). The museum features aircraft, automobiles and artifacts associated with the Golden Age of aviation and with the daring barnstormers such as Henry and Bryce Wisener who formed the original Royal Flying Circus in 1926. Exhibits include a WWI Curtiss Jenny, a WWII Stearman biplane, a 1912 Ford Model T touring car, and a 1949 MG-TC sports car. Open by appointment. (903) 569-1929. 1412 Country Club Drive.
 
Lake Country Playhouse & Historic 1920 Select Theatre:
Offers weekend new release movies on Friday and Saturday nights at 7:30pm, a Saturday 2pm matinee, and some Sunday showings. The theater also hosts live theatre productions by the Lake Country Playhouse theater group, musical performances by the Lake Country Symphonic Orchestra, and theater workshops for children. During October, the theater is transformed into The Warehouse of Terror. The Select Theatre building is listed as a Texas Historical Landmark. (903) 569-2300. 114 North Johnson Street. Email
 
Lake Country Symphonic Band:
The orchestra performs several concerts a year at the Lake Country Playhouse. (903) 629-3177. 114 North Johnson Street. Email 
 
Mineola League of the Arts:
This art league promotes art in Mineola by displaying art and by offering a kid’s camp, art shows, and other activities and programs. The league is housed in the former Central Elementary School building. (903) 569-8877. 200 W. Blair Street. Email
 
Mineola Memorial Library:
The library provides traditional library programs, children, youth and adult programs, summer programs, genealogy research, public access computers with internet connections, and free Wi-Fi. Open Tue-Thu, 9am-5:30pm; Fri, 9am-5pm; Sat, 9am-4pm; closed Sunday and Monday. (903) 569-2767. 301 N. Pacific Street.