Contact
 
 
County
Collin
Region
Praries & Lakes
Population
2010 Census - 131,117
2000 Census - 54,396
Nearby
Towns
McKinney, Texas
null
McKinney Texas History:
In 1846, the community of Buckner, located 7 miles northwest of McKinney, was named the county seat of the newly formed Collin County. On January 12, 1848, the Texas legislature decreed that all county seats of newly formed counties be located within three miles of the geographic center of the counties. This was extremely important during the 1800s because residents had to travel long distances by horse or wagon to conduct business in the county seat. The legislation more fairly equalized the distances residents had to travel. Because Buckner was not with the three miles, a special election was held to determine the new Collin County seat. The McKinney site was chosen by a vote of 10 to 1. Both McKinney and Collin County were named for Collin McKinney, signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence and author of a bill establishing the North Texas counties. In 1849, William Davis donated 120 acres for the new townsite. McKinney incorporated in 1859. From the beginning, McKinney served as the commercial center for area farmers. In 1872, the Houston and Texas Central Railway built a line through town, making McKinney the shipping and commercial center for area farmers. McKinney continued to serve in this capacity until the late 1960s when it was surpassed in size by Plano. The Missouri, Kansas and Texas Railroad arrived in 1881, and from 1908 to 1948, the Texas Electric Railroad provided service from Denison to Waco with stops in McKinney and Dallas. The population grew from 35 in 1848 to 4,714 by 1912, and by 1953, McKinney had 355 businesses and more than 10,000 residents. Today, many McKinney residents commute to Plano or Dallas for work. McKinney is located at the intersection of U.S. 75 (Central Expressway, U.S. 380, SH 121 and SH 5, 25 miles north of Garland and Ray Hubbard Lake, 61 miles northeast of Fort Worth, 30.3 miles northeast of Dallas, 47 miles northeast of Grand Prairie, 41 miles northeast of Cedar Hill, 34 miles northeast of Grapevine, 25 miles northeast of Lewisville and Lake Lewisville, 18 miles northeast of Frisco, 14 miles northeast of Plano, 31.5 miles east of Denton, 34 miles southeast of Pilot Point and Lake Ray Roberts, 43 miles south of Denison and Lake Texoma, 32 miles south of Sherman, 39 miles south of Bonham and Bonham State Park, 29.4 miles southwest of Whitewright, 33 miles northwest of Greensville, 25 miles northwest of Lake Ray Hubbard, 19 miles northwest of Wylie, 18.6 miles northwest of Farmersville, 14 miles northwest of Lake Lavon, 49.5 miles northwest of Quinlan and Lake Tawakoni, 28 miles northwest of Rowlett, 37 miles north of Mesquite, and 24.8 miles north of Garland, Texas.  
 
Historic Downtown McKinney & Walking Tour Map:
The downtown historic district is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The courthouse square features the renovated 1875 courthouse (now the McKinney Performing Arts Center) and buildings from late 1800s and early 1900s that now house antique and specialty shops, art galleries and restaurants. A self-guided walk/ride tour features architectural styles from gingerbread-trimmed Victorians and gracious Gothics to simple Prairie style structures. Many TV movies and commercials have been filmed in this area. (972) 547-2660. From IH-75 North, take Exit 40. Drive east for 1.5 miles to the square and historic district. Carriage ride tours are available from Happy Trails Carriage Service. Walking Tour Maps  Downtown Free Parking Map
 
Veterans Memorial Park:
The park honors all veterans, and features a Wall of Honor listing the names of Collin County men and women who lost their lives in defense of our freedom. The lighted flag flies round the clock over the wall. The fountain at the base of the flagpole symbolically waters the Shumard Red Oak trees representing each branch of the armed services. Individuals may memorialize a relative, a friend, or simply express your support for America and McKinney’s service men and women by purchasing a personalized paving stone for the Park. 6053 Weiskopf Avenue, 75070. (972) 547-7480.
 
Collin County Courthouse, 1979:
This concrete, steel and brick courthouse was designed in modern style by Jarvis Putty Jarvis, Inc. and Harvey G. Moore. The 2010 Collin County census was 782,341. The courthouse is located a block south of the 1875 courthouse at 222 North Tennessee Street, 75069.
 
Collin County Courthouse & Historic Square, 1874:
This restored courthouse now houses the McKinney Performing Arts Center. The courthouse was designed by Charles Wheelock in second empire style. During a 1927 remodeling it was changed to a neoclassical revival style building. This building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Click the above link for photos. The square is filled with wonderful shops selling upscale toiletries, clothing, rare books, and other must buy items. A variety of restaurants serve locally produced foods, lunch and dinner menu items, and burgers. 111 N. Tennessee Street, 75069.