Contact
 
 
County
Harrison
Region
Pineywoods
Population
2010 Census - 23,523
2000 Census - 23,935
Nearby
Towns
Marshall, Texas
null
Marshall Texas History:
Harrison County was established in 1839. In 1841, Peter Whetstone offered the Harrison County Commissioners land for a courthouse, a church, and a school if they would establish the county seat on his land. They accepted and Marshall was established as the county seat in 1842. The Texas legislature incorporated Marshall in 1844. In 1850, the town was enlarged to one square mile. Marshall acquired the first telegraph in 1854 when the local newspaper established a telegraph link to New Orleans. By 1860, Marshall had 2,000 residents and was one of the largest and wealthiest towns in East Texas. During the Civil War, Confederates in Missouri sent their government people and some state archives to Marshall, making the town the Confederate Capital of Missouri. Prior to the Civil War, the Southern Pacific Railroad, built from Caddo Lake to Marshall. During the 1870s this railroad was absorbed by the Texas and Pacific Railroad. After offering the railroad a bond subsidy, the railroad located its Texas shops and general offices in Marshall. The presence of the railroad turned Marshall into a major marketing and shipping center for cotton. During the Civil War and after, Marshall became a regional education center. Since the mid-nineteenth century, the town has grown slowly and steadily. Its location on IH-20, the main route from Shreveport to Dallas, has contributed to its growth. Marshall is located at the intersections of IH-20, U.S. 59 (SE & NE Boulevard), U.S. 80 (W. Grand Avenue &Victory Drive), SH 154 and SH 43 (Karnack Hwy), 51 miles east of Hawkins and Lake Hawkins, 35 miles east of Gladewater and Lake Gladewater, 31 miles east of White Oak, 23 miles east of Longview, 47 miles southeast of Daingerfield, 30 miles southeast of Lake O’ the Pines, 60 miles south of Wright Patman Lake, 35.4 miles south of Linden, 16.8 miles south of Jefferson, 47.8 miles southwest of Atlanta, 21.5 miles southwest of Uncertain, 17 miles southwest of Caddo Lake and Karnack, 57 miles northwest of Joaquin, 20.5 miles northwest of Waskom, 28 miles north of Carthage, 38 miles northeast of Lake Murvaul, 28.4 miles northeast of Martin Creek Lake State Park, 26.6 miles northeast of Beckville, 19.8 miles northeast of Tatum, 40.7 miles northeast of Henderson, 60 miles northeast of Tyler, and 34.9 miles northeast of Kilgore, Texas.
 
Tours of Marshall, Texas and Harrison County:
Max Lale’s tour guide booklet of historic Marshall buildings and houses, and the Marshall Stagecoach Trace Guide, a tour guide to Harrison County, are available at the Chamber of Commerce. Marshall has 15 homes and buildings listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
 
Harrison County Courthouse, 1964:
This courthouse was designed in modern style by the architectural firm of Turnbull, Inc. Click on the above link for photos. The 2010 Harrison County census was 65,631. (903) 935-8401. 200 West Houston Street.
 
Historic Old Harrison County Courthouse, 1901:
The courthouse was designed in Renaissance revival style by famed courthouse architect J. Riely Gordon. A 6 foot tall statue of Lady Justitia is located on the top of the belfry. This courthouse is one of the most famous and admired buildings in Texas. From 1964 until courthouse renovation project began in 2000, the building housed the Harrison County Historical Museum. The museum is temporarily located in the1896 Ginocchio Hotel until renovations are completed. The dome’s four-faced clock has been restored. During the Christmas season, the courthouse is beautifully lit with over one hundred thousand white holiday lights. The second floor balcony of the T&P Depot Museum offers an aerial view of the courthouse. The courthouse is listed on the National Register of historic places. It is located on Whetstone Square (courthouse square) at East Houston Street and North Washington Avenue. The 1964 courthouse is located just off the courthouse square.   
 
Historic Texas & Pacific Railway Station, 1912:
The T&P Depot is the only surviving structure of the railroad’s original Marshall Complex of 57 buildings located on 66 acres. The depot now houses the T&P Railway Museum and the Marshall Amtrak Station. Amtrak’s Texas Eagle offers daily service to Chicago, Dallas, San Antonio and Los Angeles. Of the 19 Texas stations served by Amtrak, Marshall was the ninth-busiest in FY2010, boarding or detraining an average of approximately 24 passengers daily. An old Union Pacific caboose was moved from City Park to the depot siding, and is being restored. The depot is located adjacent to the Ginocchio Hotel (700 North Washington Avenue) in Marshall’s Ginocchio National Historic District at Ginocchio and North Washington Streets.