Contact
 
 
County
Matagorda
Region
Gulf Coast
Population
2010 Census - 1,082
2000 Census - 1,138
Nearby
Towns
Markham, Texas
null
Markham Texas History:
From 1901 to 1903 the town was called Cortes and had a post office under that name. In 1903 the Moore-Cortes Canal Company boosted community development, town residents changed the town name to Markham, after an engineer from the Southern Pacific Railroad, and the town received a new post office. By 1914 Markham had become a stop on the Texas and New Orleans Railroad and had a population of 500. Many residents work in Bay City. Markham is located 4 miles from the Colorado River at the junction of FM 1468 and FM 2431, 23 miles northeast of Palacios, 12 miles northeast of Blessing, 9 miles northeast of Midfield, 7.6 miles northeast of Elmaton, 14 miles southeast of Danevang, and 6.8 miles southwest of Bay City, Texas.
 
Historical Pilgrim Rest Baptist Church, Texas Historical Marker Text:
“The Pilgrim Rest Baptist Church traces its history to November 1903, when a number of residents of Markham's "Tent City" later known as "Red Town," organized a congregation. Nine charter members were among those who worked on the canal, cattle ranches, rail lines and in the rice fields in the area. The Reverend Andrew Lee of Bay City was their first pastor. The congregation's first building, erected in 1909. was destroyed in a hurricane the same year. Immediately rebuilt, it was replaced by a new structure in 1923; that one was destroyed by Hurricane Carla in 1961. The members acquired the former Ashby Memorial Baptist Church building and moved it from the Ashby community in 1962. Pilgrim Rest Baptist Church members continue in the traditions of their founders with programs of worship and service.” The church is located at Avenue B and 9th Street in Markham. More Information

El Maton National (Dance) Hall and Tavern:
This is one of the oldest dance halls in Texas. It offers live music, cold beer and dancing. It is available for private functions. Open Fri-Sat, 5pm-Midnight. The dance hall hosts an annual St. Patrick’s Day BBQ cook-off with live music on Friday and Saturday nights. (979) 479-5456. (979) 240-5858. The hall is located  south of SH 35 at the intersection of FM 1095 and CR 432, approximately 2 miles east of Blessing, 10 miles southwest of Bay City, and 24 miles south of El Campo, Texas at 565 FM 1095, Elmaton, Texas 77440. Elmaton Area Map  Elmaton Map; Click to Enlarge
 
Annual Matagorda County Fair & Livestock Show, Feb, Bay City, TX:
Office Hours: Mon-Fri, 8am-3:30pm; closed 12-1pm for lunch. (979) 245-2454. Tickets: (979) 245-1819. The fairgrounds are located on the southeast edge of Bay City at 4511 FM 2668, Bay city, TX 77414.
 
Hotel Blessing & Restaurant, Blessing, TX:
Built in 1906, the hotel was given to the Blessing Historical Foundation in 1978. It was restored and functions as a hotel. The Blessing Hotel Coffee Shop still has the old wood stove. The Coffee Shop menu changes daily. The food is excellent country cooking; customers serve themselves from pots set on the old potbellied stoves. Turkey and dressing is served every Sunday. The Coffee Shop serves breakfast and lunch daily; closed on Christmas Day. It closes at 2pm. Sometimes the Hotel is closed, but the restaurant always remains open. The hotel is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. (361) 588-6623. 128 10th Street, Blessing, Texas 77419. Blessing is located on Sh 35, 17.5 miles southwest of Bay City, Texas. Restaurant Reviews
 
Jurek’s Smokehouse:
(979) 843-5211. 500 Avenue J, Markham. Reviews
 
Annual Matagorda County Fair & Livestock Show, Feb, Bay City, TX:
Office Hours: Mon-Fri, 8am-3:30pm; closed 12-1pm for lunch. (979) 245-2454. Tickets: (979) 245-1819. The fairgrounds are located on the southeast edge of Bay City at 4511 FM 2668, Bay city, TX 77414.