Contact
 
 
County
Ellis
Region
Praries & Lakes
Population
2010 Census - Unknown
2000 Census - 7,480
Nearby
Towns
Midlothian, Texas
null
Midlothian Texas History:
Settlers arrived in the area as early as 1800, but a community did not develop until after the 1843 Indian Peace Treaties were signed. In 1848, the William Alden Hawkins and Larkin Newton families obtained land titles under the Peters Colony. The community that developed was known as Hawkins’ Springs. A log cabin with a wood floor served as the first school, church and community center. The Barker post office was established in 1877, and renamed Midlothian around 1882. The Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railway built a line to the town in 1883. Midlothian incorporated in 1888. By 1892, the town had approximately 25 businesses including two cotton gins, two general stores, a drugstore, a hardware and farm store, a lumberyard, a saddle and harness shop, a blacksmith and wagon repair shop, a school, churches, a weekly newspaper and 800 residents. The town’s proximity to Dallas and Fort Worth has contributed to its growth in recent decades. Midlothian is located just west of IH-35E at the intersection of U.S. 287 and U.S. 67, 47 miles north of Hillsboro, 52 miles northeast of Glen Rose, 27 miles northeast of Cleburne and Cleburne State Park, 58 miles east of Granbury, 47 miles southeast of Azle and Eagle Mountain Lake, 35 miles southeast of Benbrook and Lake Benbrook, 29.6 miles southeast of Fort Worth, 27 miles southeast of Burleson, 11.4 miles southeast of Mansfield, 24 miles southeast of Arlington and Lake Arlington, 37 miles south of Grapevine and Lake Grapevine, 30 miles south of Irving, 21 miles south of Grand Prairie and Mountain Creek Lake, 8 miles slightly south of Cedar Hill and Joe Pool Lake, 28 miles southwest of Dallas, 36.5 miles southwest of Mesquite, 24 miles southwest of Lancaster, 14 miles southwest of Desoto, 50 miles slightly southwest of Kaufman, 48 miles northwest of Corsicana, 26.6 miles northwest of Ennis, and 12.8 miles northwest of Waxahachie, Texas.
 
Midlothian Area Historical Society Mini-Museums:
The Mini-Museums contain display cases and are located at the A.H. Meadows Library at 923 S. 9th Street, the Citizens National Bank at 310 North 9th Street, and at the Reno Building at 116 North 8th Street. Email
 
Historic Larkin Newton Log Cabin:
Larkin Newton was a veteran of the War of 1912. He built this cabin for his wife Mary. The couple raised 11 children. Newton served as postmaster, operated a gristmill and was a surveyor. The cabin is located in Heritage Park at 234 North 8th Street, 76065. (972) 775-7777. Email
 
Midlothian Conference Center & Art Gallery:
This 39,000 square foot facility features two large event rooms, meeting rooms, a boardroom, a lobby, gallery, outside courtyard, a promenade patio, a kitchen and restrooms. The center also has an art gallery displaying works by amateur and professional artists; some items are for sale. (972) 723-775-7125. 1 Community Circle Drive. Email  
 
Navarro College - Midlothian:
Navarro College works in partnership with Texas A & M University-Commerce to provide several 4 year degree programs. (972) 775-7200. 899 Mount Zion Road, Midlothian, TX 76065.
 
Tarleton State University at Navarro College, Midlothian:
(972) 775-7244. 899 Mount Zion Road, Midlothian, Texas 76065.
 
A.H. Meadows Library:
This library serves as the Midlothian Public Library and as the High School Library. It provides traditional library programs, children, youth and adult programs, summer programs, audio books, movies, music, book clubs, writers group, GED classes, public access computers with internet connections, and free Wi-Fi. Membership is free to all Texas residents. Open Mon & Wed, 8am-6pm; Tue & Thu, 8am-8pm; Fri, 8am-4pm; Sat, 10am-4pm; closed Sundays. (972) 775-8237. 923 S. 9th Street.  Email