Contact
 
 
County
Motley
Region
Panhandle Plains
Population
2010 Census - 607
2000 Census - 740
Nearby
Towns
Matador, Texas
null
Matador Texas History:
The Matador Ranch was established in 1879 at Ballard Springs. The ranch’s Matador post office was established in 1886. When Motley County was established in 1891, the Texas General Land Office required that the county seat have twenty businesses. Ranch manager Henry H. Campbell platted a townsite and encouraged cowboys to set up one-day businesses to meet this requirement. He was successful in his endeavors and Matador was named county seat. One of the businesses, the Dew Drop Saloon, was a leading business until prohibition took effect in 1893. During the town’s early days, the ranch dominated the town and county. This caused resentment among non-ranch people, and in the 1896 election the non-ranch candidates defeated the ranch’s candidates. Matador was incorporated in 1912. Today, the town is a commercial center for cattle, quarter horses, and farm produce. Matador is located at the intersections of U.S.62/U.S.70, SH 70 and FM 94, 31.6 miles east of Floydada, 58.6 miles southeast of Plainview, 43 miles southeast of Lockney, 55 miles southeast of Silverton, 38 miles southeast of Quitaque and Caprock Canyons State Park, 28.4 miles south of Turkey, 63 miles southwest of Childress, 31 miles west of Paducah, 59 miles northwest of Guthrie, 28 miles north of Dickens, 49 miles northeast of Crosbyton, and 8.6 miles northeast of Roaring Springs, Texas.

Historic Roaring Springs, Texas:
The town was originally an Indian campground, and later was a Matador Ranch line camp. The town was known for the purity of its water. The Roaring Springs for which the town is named were formerly known as Jessamine Springs, and are a group of springs near the Tongue or South Pease River, 3 miles south of town. The springs are located on private property at the privately owned Roaring Springs Ranch Club. The springs feed a three acre swimming pool. Originally, the springs were loud enough for travelers to hear some distance away. Roaring Springs is located on a branch of Dutchman Creek on SH 70, 8.6 miles south of Matador. 
 
Texas Plains Trail Region:
The 52-county Texas Plains Trail Region includes the Texas Panhandle and Plains. It stretches from the Texas towns of Big Spring and Colorado City in the southern portion of the region, to Muleshoe and the New Mexico state border in the west, to Quanah and Knox City in the east, and to the top of the Texas Panhandle, from Dalhart in the west to Lipscomb in the east. The Texas Plains Trail Region organization is a nonprofit heritage tourism organization affiliated with the Texas Historical Commission. TPTR acts as an economic development initiative that helps Texas communities to promote their historic and cultural resources, and increase tourism to their areas. The organization helps promote travel to heritage destinations and historic sites. A name repeatedly mentioned in the history of West Texas is Cynthia Ann Parker, a young child captured during a raid on Fort Parker. She grew up among the Comanches, married Comanche chief Peta Nocona, and had three children, Pecos, Quanah and Prairie Flower. In 1860, a party of Texas Rangers led by Sul Ross, a future governor of Texas, rescued her and her infant daughter Prairie Flower; Charles Goodnight participated in this raid. Her son Quanah became famous as the last great war chief of the Comanche. One of TPTR’s most visible recent projects is the Quanah Parker Trail. When the project is completed, giant Quanah Parker arrow markers will have been installed in all 52 counties in the Texas Plains Trail Region. Some counties will have more than one installation. The arrows were created and donated by New Home, Texas, artist Charles Smith. As of early 2014, over 70 arrows had been installed in almost 50 counties. Each arrow will have a plaque giving pertinent historical information. (806) 747-1997. P.O. Box 88, Lubbock, Texas 79408. Email   Texas Plains Trail Map
 
Matador Area Interesting Sites:
Downtown Matador features many old buildings including the 1916 Matador Hardware and Supply, the 1928 Traweek Hospital building, and the 1922 First State Bank building. The town’s seven murals include the “Matador Ranch,” located on the south side of the Higginbotham Lumberyard building on U.S. 70, and the “Park & Gazebo Mural,” located on the west side of New To You on Main Street. Other murals are located along U.S. 70, and inside Billie Dean’s Restaurant. The East Mound Cemetery features tombstone art. The cemetery is located east of Matador just north of U.S. 70/67. Bob Robertson’s Oil Derrick Service Station forms a base for the oil derrick which sits atop the building. In the late 1930s he replaced the wooden derrick with a metal derrick, and added a café built of petrified wood and stone, a garage and a grocery. He kept caged rattlesnakes inside the building. This 1932 building has been restored, and features a Texas Historical Marker.
 
Historic Tee Pee City:
The town was established in the mid-1870s as a trading post for buffalo hunters. “Storekeepers Charles Rath and Lee Reynolds imported wares from distant Dodge City, Kansas, but soon went in search of greener prairies and cash-paying customers. They left the store in the care of Isaac Armstrong, a man who must’ve enjoyed his duties running the one-room hotel and saloon since he spent the rest of his life there. A school was in operation from the mid-1890s through 1902 but misbehavior by the uncivilized element drove most earnest settlers on. The post office closed its doors in 1900 and Tee Pee City was visited by the Texas Rangers on the numerous occasions when things got out of hand and /or the wrong people were robbed. The nearby Matador Ranch made the town off-limits to its employees and actually ended the town’s wild and woolly existence by buying the property. Today only the graves of the Cooper family and Isaac Armstrong remain, along with a lone Texas Centennial marker.”  The marker is located at a roadside park, 10 miles east of Matador on SH 62/70.
 
Historic Mott Line Camp, Texas Historical Marker Text:
“The Cottonwood Mott, named for the stand, or mott, of trees which surrounded a natural spring here, was the site of a line camp as early as 1878. Cowboys used the camp as a base from which to work, herding cattle and mending fences on the ranch. A log cabin was built here by employees of the Jingle Bob Ranch, and was the site of at least two gunfights. The ranchland was sold in 1882 to the Matador Land & Cattle Company, LDT, a Scotland (Texas) based syndicate. The company sold out in 1951, and the land was divided into smaller ranches.” The marker is located on private property. Take U.S. 62/72 13 miles west of Matador. Take a gravel road 3 miles north.
 
Motley County Courthouse, 1948:
The brick courthouse was designed in modern style by architect Wyatt Hedrick. . The original 1881 courthouse was torched by a sheriff who absconded with the county's monies. The 1904 courthouse also burned. The 2010 Motley County census was 1,210.  
 
Motley County Jail, 1891:
The first floor of this two story limestone building housed the sheriff’s living quarters. The jail cells and gallows were located on the second floor. A trap door was located in the ceiling. This Texas Historical Landmark is located north of the courthouse.
 
Quanah, Acme & Pacific Railroad Depot Museum in Roaring Springs, TX, 1913:
The brick mission revival style depot handled traffic until 1971. It is the town’s oldest building. It was purchased by the city in 1972. The depot is now a community center and museum.  
 
Motley County Historical Museum & 1928 Traweek Hospital Building:
This museum is housed in the 17 room historic Traweek Hospital Building. The museum features memorabilia and information relating to Indians, ranches (including the Matador Land and Cattle Company), veterans, old hospital surgical rooms, old fashion kitchens, vintage wedding clothing, toys, cameras, music, and more. Open Wed, 1pm-5pm. Call for a special appointment. (806) 347-2968. The museum is located at the corner of Dundee & Bundy Streets, one block west of the County Courthouse. A Texas Historical Marker commemorates the hospital building.
 
Motley County Library:
The library features a historical mural painted by Joe D. Taylor, old photographs, and genealogical information. The library is home to Friends of the Library, and the Motley County Genealogical Historical Society. Open Mon, 2pm-5pm; Tue-Thu, 1pm-6pm; Fri, 9am-2pm. (806) 347-2717. 1105 Main Street, Matador, TX. Mail: PO Box 557, Matador, TX 79244.
 
Annual Old Settlers Reunion & Rodeo, Roaring Springs, Texas, August:
Festivities begin with a Thursday cowboy reunion, a parade, and Motley and Dickens Counties residents competing in youth barrel racing and flag racing, cutting events and other rodeo events. A free dance is held each afternoon. On Friday and Saturday ten ranch teams face off in rodeo competitions such as barrel racing, team roping, bronc riding and team branding. The two Saturday night dances include one for the “old folks” and one for the “young at heart.” Dance music will be provided by a popular country western band. For more information, call the Matador Chamber of Commerce at (806) 347-2968.
 
Main Street Cafe:
(806) 347-2115. 1023 Main Street.