Contact
 
 
County
Henderson
Region
Praries & Lakes
Population
2010 Census - 2,324
2000 Census - 2,257
Nearby
Towns
Malakoff, Texas
null
Malakoff Texas History: 
The area was first settled by Jane Irvine, a widow from Alabama, who immigrated with her family to the area before 1835 and built a gristmill on Caney Creek 1½ miles north of the site of the present town; the settlement of Caney Creek grew up around the mill. In 1852 Caney Creek was renamed Mitcham Chapel. Around 1854 the town applied for a post office under the names Mitcham and Purdon; because the names were already in use the post office suggested the name Malakoff. The Malakoff post office was granted in 1885. After the Civil War a railroad line was built 1.5 miles south of Malakoff; most of the residents moved to the new railroad station. By 1904 (new) Malakoff had nine general stores, two grocery stores, three drugstores, a furniture store, two lumberyards, a livery stable, a brick company, a butcher shop, a hotel, six doctors, two barbers, an undertaker, and nine builders. In 1912 lignite coal was discovered in the area and several mine operations were developed. The Texas Power and Light Company built a coal-powered electric generating station nearby, adding to the town’s growth. The town’s population grew between 1920 and 1940; it began a long decline in 1942 when TP & L converted its generator to natural gas causing a decline in the coal mining operations. The construction of the Cedar Creek Reservoir in the 1960s caused the population to grow again. During the 1930s it gained prominence for the discovery of a large prehistoric carved head, known as the "Malakoff Man," found in the excavation of a gravel pit in 1929. Malakoff incorporated in 1948. The town’s main employer is Acme Brick. Shopping opportunities include a few antique shops. Malakoff is located a few miles northeast of Trinidad near the southeast shore of Cedar Creek Reservoir and the Cedar Creek Reservoir Dam at the intersection of SH 198 and SH 31, 27 miles east of Corsicana, and eight miles west of Athens, Texas.  
 
Malakoff Historical Society & Museum & Malakoff Chamber of Commerce:
The chamber office is located in the museum. Open Mon-Fri, 10am-2pm. Call for special appointments. (903) 489-8118. 207 East Market Street. Email
 
Bartlett House & Heritage Gardens:
The Greater Malakoff Area Garden Club’s current project is the restoration of the historic Bartlett House & 1930s Heritage Garden. Their meetings are held the first Thursday of each month at 6:30pm at the Hernandez Restaurant at 1614 West Royall Boulevard. Email
 
Malakoff Public Library:
The library provides traditional library programs, summer programs, Book CDs and tapes, movies, a typewriter, a Xerox machine, and fax and laminating machines, public access computers with internet connections, and free Wi-Fi. Open Mon, 1pm-5pm; Tue-Fri, 9:30am-5pm. The library is closed 12 noon-1pm for lunch, and closed Sundays. (903) 489-1818. 109 Melton Street.
 
Event Venue - Malakoff Community Center:
The center located at 503 North Terry Street (SH 198 North). (903) 489-1818.
 
Annual KCKL/KLVQ Big Bass Tournament, 3rd Weekend in March:
This event is held at the Log Cabin City Park campgrounds on Cedar Creek Lake in Log Cabin, Texas. From Malakoff take SH 198 (Caney City Highway) north 4.9 miles to Log Cabin. Go right on FM 3054 (Payne Road) for 0.5 miles; follow the signs to the park entrance on the right. Log Cabin is located 4.9 miles north of Malakoff. (903) 489-8118. Email  Log Cabin Texas Map  Log Cabin Texas Area Map
 
Annual Malakoff Chamber of Commerce Cornbread Festival & Garage Sale Alley, April:
Activities include cornbread and beans cook-offs, the 5K Run to the Corn, vendors and a garage sale. This event is held on Mitcham Street in downtown Malakoff. The garage sale will be set up on East Mitcham Street and will extend up the alley. (903) 489-1818.
 
Annual Malakoff chamber of Commerce Christmas Parade:
This themed parade is held on the second Saturday morning in December. The parade lines up on at the First Baptist Church parking lot. Prizes are awarded for best decorated bicycle, boat, and vehicle. (903) 489-8118.