Contact
 
 
County
Liberty
Region
Pineywoods
Population
2010 Census - 8,397
2000 Census - 8,033
Nearby
Towns
Liberty, Texas
null
Liberty Texas History:
By 1818, the Liberty area was occupied by American squatters on the east side of the Trinity River. The settlers unsuccessfully petitioned the Spanish government to be included under Stephen F. Austin’s colony. In 1831, the land was under Mexican authority. The Mexican government established a land office in the settlement, established the Villa de la Santísima Trinidad de la Libertadmunicipality, and granted 36 land titles. During this early period, the town shortened its name to Liberty, after Liberty, Mississippi where many of the early settlers had originated from. The Liberty post office was established in 1836. Liberty became a shipping point for the area’s lumber and farming industries. Sam Houston practiced law in the community from the 1830s to the 1850s, and owned two plantation homes. Andrew Briscoe’s Liberty Volunteers fought in the Texas Revolution, and received a request from William B. Travis to send reinforcements to the Alamo. The William Hardin home became a Union prisoner camp after the Battle of San Jacinto. In 1837, Liberty incorporated and became the county seat of the newly formed Liberty County. At his time, Liberty was served by steamship traffic, the Trinity River ferry, and stagecoach routes. The Texas and New Orleans Railroad established rail service to Liberty in 1858; it suspended operations from the Civil War period until 1874. By 1900, the town had approximately 70 houses. Livestock roamed legally roamed the streets. Oil was discovered at the Batson-Old oilfield in 1903, making Liberty a boom town. In 1907, the Trinity Valley and Northern Railway established service to the town of Dayton (originally known as West Liberty), located on the west side of the Trinity River, across from Liberty. The South Liberty oilfield was discovered in 1925. Between 1852 and 1940, 236 miles of the Trinity River were made navigable for steamers who transported goods between the inland port of Liberty and the Houston Ship Channel. During World War II a German prisoners of war camp operated at the Liberty Fairgrounds. The first annual Liberty County Fair was held at the fairgrounds in 1909; it was moved to its Wallisville Road location in 1930, and was renamed the Trinity Valley Exposition in 1939. The nearby 1984 home of Governor M. Price Daniel, Sr. was built using the original plans for the Texas Governor’s Mansion in Austin. The town is billed as the “First City on the Trinity.” Liberty is located on the east side of the Trinity River at the intersections of SH 146, FM 563 (Liberty Wallisville Road) and U.S. 90, 55 miles southeast of Conroe, 32 miles southeast of Cleveland and the Sam Houston National Forest, 50 miles southeast of Livingston and Lake Livingston, 43.6 miles southwest of Kountze and the Big Thicket National Preserve, 49.7 miles southwest of Lumberton and Village Creek State Park, 52.5 miles southwest of Silsbee, 31 miles southwest of Sour Lake, 41.4 miles west of Beaumont, 42.7 miles northwest of Winnie, 33 miles northwest of Anahuac, 31 miles northwest of Baytown, 21 miles northwest of Wallisville, 37.5 miles northeast of La Porte, 43 miles northeast of Houston, 29.6 miles northeast of Sheldon and Sheldon Lake State Park, and 28 miles east of Kingwood, Texas and Lake Houston.
 
Liberty County Courthouse, 1930:
Liberty County has had 7 courthouses; the 1930 courthouse is the only one remaining. It was designed in Art Deco style by architects Corneil G. Curtis and E. A. Thomas, and has the largest district courtroom in Texas. The Liberty County 2010 census was 75,613. (936) 336-4600. 1923 Sam Houston Street
 
Liberty Bell & Bell Tower:
The 2,016 pound Liberty Bell was made by the Whitechapel Foundry in London in 1960. It was the first true replica of the original Liberty Bell in Philadelphia. The bell was gifted to the City of Liberty by Sallie and Nadine Woods, founders of the Liberty Muscular Dystrophy Research Foundation. Both sisters were victims of muscular dystrophy. In 2009, the bell tower was demolished due to structural problems. A new tower is in the design phase.  
 
Daisetta Sinkhole, Daisetta Texas:
Because the town sits on a salt dome, the area is prone to the creation of sinkholes when a salt dome collapses. In May of 2008, the smaller 1969 sinkhole adjacent to FM 770 grew to approximately 600 feet in diameter and approximately 100 to 100 feet deep. The sinkhole is now a pond.
  
WPA Post Office Murals History:
During the Great Depression FDR created the New Deal Program to provide jobs for out of work American men by funding construction projects to build post offices and other buildings, and state and local parks. The Works Progress Administration (WPA) was created in May, 1935, under the New Deal Program. The U.S. Treasury Department’s Section of Painting and Sculpture, later known as The Section of Fine Arts, put artists to work by funding Post Office Murals to be placed in the new post offices. Though the majority of the post office art consists of oil paintings on canvas, other art mediums were also used. The murals are located in every state. Post Office Murals Photos
 
Liberty WPA Post Office Mural, 1939:
“The Story of the Big Fish” mural was painted by Howard Fisher in 1939. (936) 336-6182. 1515 Sam Houston Street.
 
Norman House Museum, 1893:
This one story Greek revival style house originally had a detached kitchen and other outbuildings. The house features period furnishings and accessories, including a Victorian Parlor, housekeeping and food processing artifacts, the Norman Rockwell Room housing the Norman family artifacts, and a fashion room with women’s clothing, accessories and grooming aids. Open for tours, Mon-Fri, 9am-4pm; Sat, 9am-4pm, and by appointment for groups. (936) 336-8821. The house is located on the grounds of the Sam Houston Regional Library and Research Center at 650 FM 1011, 3 miles north of Liberty off SH 146.
 
Jean & Price Daniel House Museum, 1983:
This building houses the Sam Houston Regional Library and Research Center. The exterior of this house is patterned after the Greek Revival Style Texas Governor’s Mansion which was built by famed architect Abner Cook between 1854 and 1856. The original house plans for the Austin Mansion included wings; they were not added due to insufficient funds. The Price Daniel house wings were constructed in the Greek revival style. Except for the entry hall and the stairs, the interior of the Price Daniel house is unlike that of the Governor’s Mansion. Open Monday through Friday, 8 AM to 5 PM; Saturday 9 AM to 4 PM. Admission is free. (936) 336-8821. The house is located on the grounds of the Sam Houston Regional Library and Research Center at 650 FM 1011, 3 miles north of Liberty off SH 146.
 
Historic Gillard-Duncan House Museum, 1848:
The restored home contains original furnishings. Open for tours, Mon-Fri, 9am-4pm; Sat, 9am-4pm, and by appointment for groups. (936) 336-8821. The house is located on the grounds of the Sam Houston Regional Library and Research Center at 650 FM 1011, 3 miles north of Liberty off SH 146.
 
Oil Patch Museum & Festival, Batson, TX:
Exhibits include photos, models, and equipment from the early days of the oil industry. The Oil Patch Festival is held during the 3rd weekend in June at the Batson Community Center at 9153 Main Street.  Activities include a parade, food, arts & crafts, a photo and quilt contest, gospel singing, a BBQ cook-off, horseshoe, washer, volleyball and domino tournaments, a dance, and a Confederate soldier’s reenactment. Museum tours are by appointment. (409) 262-8580. 1245 South Pine Street, Batson, Texas. Batson Texas Map; Click to Enlarge  Batson Texas Area Map
 
Geraldine D. Humphreys Cultural Center & Theatre, 114 Acres:
This 23,000 square foot Center houses the Liberty Municipal Library and the 153 seat Humphreys-Burson Theatre. The theatre is home to the Valley Players, a local community theatrical group. The Liberty Bell Tower and the 5 sided Jubilee Pavilion are located on the grounds. The pavilion hosts city and library events, including the annual Liberty Jubilee Family Fun Festival. The Liberty Bell is the first true replica of the original Liberty Bell in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. It weighs 2,016 pounds and was constructed at the Whitechapel Foundry in London in 1960. The center and library are located at 1710 Sam Houston Street. (936) 336-8821.
 
The Valley Players:
The group was founded in 195. It offers several performances each year at the Humphreys-Burson Theatre located in the Humphreys Cultural Center 1710 Sam Houston Street. Auditions are open to the public. Current Contact: (936) 346-1210. Email Contacts  
 
Liberty Opry on the Square, 1933:
The opry offers Branson (Missouri) style musical entertainment every Saturday night, except on some holidays. They offer a variety of shows including Country Western, Country Legends, Western Swing, 50’s Rock & Roll, and all Gospel shows. Special shows include the Christmas and New Year’s Eve shows. (877) 729-9103. (936) 336-5830. The opry is located in the Historic Park Theater at 1816 Sam Houston Avenue, Liberty, Texas 77575 Flickr Photos
 
Sam Houston Regional Library and Research Center:
The library and archives are housed in the 1850s Jean Price Daniel House. The archives and exhibits depict the history of the area, and include furniture, artifacts, Jean Lafitte’s journals, the 1836 census, and the Texana collection of former Governor Price Daniel. Rotating exhibits focus on South Texas history. Other buildings on the property include the 1848 Gillard-Duncan House, the 1893 Norman House, and the 1898 St. Stephen’s Episcopal Church which is used for meetings. Open Tue-Fri, 8am-5pm; Sat, 9am-4pm. (936) 336-8821. The Sam Houston Regional Library and Research Center is located at 650 FM 1011, 3 miles north of Liberty off SH 146.
 
Liberty Municipal Library:
The library provides traditional library programs, children, youth and adult programs, summer programs, public access computers with internet connections, and free Wi-Fi. Open Mon-Thu, 10am-6pm; Fri, 1pm-5pm; Sat, 10am-4pm; closed Sunday. (936) 336-8901. The library is located in the Humphreys Cultural Center at 1710 Sam Houston Street.