Contact
 
 
County
Wilson
Region
South Texas Plains
Population
2010 Census - Unknown
2000 Census - 390
Nearby
Towns
Kosciusko, Texas
null
Kosciusko Texas History:
Kosciusko was established in 1890 by Polish and German settlers as a supply point for Polish and German settlers. It was named after Polish General Thaddeus Kosciusko. The Kosciusko Post Office was established in 1906. It was discontinued in 1920 when the mail was rerouted through Stockdale. Kosciusko is located at the intersection of FM 1347 and FM 541, 12 miles east of Floresville, 7 miles south of Stockdale, and 42 miles southeast of San Antonio, Texas.
 
St. Ann's Catholic Church, Texas Historical Marker Text:
“In 1880, about sixty families of Polish descent (Silesian Poles) bought the land in this sparsely settled area. After their arrival, the town became known as Kosciusko, named after the noted Polish American hero, General Thaddeus Kosciuszko. In 1892 the Polish settlers built their first Polish Catholic school, St. Anne's. It was a small one-room school, run by the sisters of charity of the incarnate word. The sisters lived in a room attached to the school. In 1898, under the direction of the Reverend Stanislaus Przyborowski, then pastor of Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary in Czestochowa, the people of Kosciuszko gathered together and built their first Catholic Church for $2,000 plus donations. The small wooden structure measured 80 feet by 40 feet and was one of the largest churches In Wilson County at that time. Also named St. Ann's, the church was dedicated on October 27, 1898. It was a mission of Czestochowa for three years. In1901 a rectory and cemetery were established. The first convent for the Sisters of Charity was built in 1918. By 1933 there were 146 families in the parish and the small wooden church was enlarged by 25 feet. The congregation continued to grow. A Polish choir and various societies were organized in the church over the years. In 1951 a new church building was erected. It had a modified Gothic design and included two sacristies, a baptistery and a large sanctuary. On October 25, 1998, St. Ann's Catholic Church celebrated its centennial. At that time, the parish consisted of 224 families. Parishioners continue to practice the traditions of their ancestors. St. Anne's Catholic Church remains the center of this small Polish community.”  
 
Kosciusko (Dance) Hall:
Amenities include a ball field, campsites, washer pits, a 4,000 square foot wood dance floor, a full kitchen, walk-in coolers, an ice machine, a bar area, an outdoor pavilion, large barbeque pits with gas burners, and large stainless steel picnic tables. The hall hosts live music concerts and dancing. It is available private party rentals. (830) 745-2836. The hall is located at 2975 FM 541 East. Email 
 
Annual K-Town BBQ Cook-off & Live Music Concert, Fri-Sun in Mid-July:
Categories include sausage, chicken, pork spare ribs, and beef brisket. Activities include children’s entertainment, a washer tournament, live music and dancing. The 2012 event featured Dwight Yoakam.  Quite time will be enforced at midnight both nights. (830) 745-2836. The hall is located at 2975 FM 541 East. Email 
 
Rancho De Las Cabras, San Antonio Missions National Historic Park, Floresville, TX:
In the mid-1700s, the Mission San Francisco de la Espada, a San Antonio Missions National Historical Park mission, established the Rancho de las Cabras (Goat Ranch) on the San Antonio River for use as grazing land for cattle. Indian vaqueros (cowboys) lived on the Rancho with their families and tended the cattle. Once a week, several cattle were herded to the Mission Espada to feed the Priests and Indians. The original Rancho site included a chapel and fortifications which are now in ruins. Eventually, the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department purchased the Rancho Cabras ruins and the 99.5 acres of remaining land. In 1995, the TPWD transferred the land to the National Park Service to be managed by the San Antonio Missions National Historical Park in San Antonio. Future plans for the Rancho de Las Cabras include building a visitors’ center and a parking lot. Toursof the Rancho de Las Cabras are held on the first Saturday of each month, weather permitting. Call (210) 932-1001 for tour information.From Floresville take SH 97 approximately 2 miles south to marker and the historic site. Floresville Texas Map; Click to Enlarge  Floresville Texas Area Map 
 
Victor Braunig Lake & Park (formerly East Lake), 1350 Acres, Elmendorf, TX:
This reservoir is located on Calaveras and Chupaderas Creeks just east of IH-35 near Elmendorf, 15 miles south of downtown San Antonio on. The reservoir was formed in 1962 by the construction of a dam to provide a cooling pond for a power plant supplying power to San Antonio. The lake has 1,350 surface acres and a maximum depth of 50 feet. Together with nearby Calaveras Lake, Braunig Lake was one of the first projects in the nation to use treated wastewater for power plant cooling. Lake recreation includes boating and fishing. The lake has been stocked with red drum, hybrid striped bass, catfish and largemouth bass, and is popular for its trophy size bass. Amenities include boat ramps, lighted fishing piers, a fish cleaning station, boat rentals, tent campsites, RV sites, sheltered picnic tables, a playground and restrooms. A 75 person capacity picnic pavilion with electricity and restrooms is available for rent. Open daily, 6am-8pm for day users. (210) 635-8291. The park is located at 17500 Donop Road, SA, 78223. From IH-37 south; take Exit 130 (Donop Road) and follow the signs. Email  Fish Stocking History  Lake Records  Current Fishing Report      
 
Calaveras Lake & Park, 3,624 Acres, Elmendorf, TX:
The lake was impounded in 1969 and has a maximum depth of 45 feet. The park serves both Calaveras Lake and Braunig Lake near Elmendorf. Amenities include a nature trail, campsites, RV sites, shaded picnic tables, a fishing pier and boat ramp, playgrounds, paddleboat rentals, restrooms and parking. Activities include birding, fishing, camping, picnicking, boating and water sports. Fish species include blue and channel catfish, hybrid striped bass, largemouth bass and red fish (red drum. Spring wildflowers are stunning! Park fees apply. Open daily, 6am-8pm for day users. (210) 635-8359. The park is located at 12991 Bernhardt Road. The lake is located 20 miles southeast of downtown San Antonio. From Loop 410, proceed southeast on U.S. Highway 181 south, then turn left on Loop 1604 and proceed for two miles; turn left on Stuart Road and proceed for 1/2 mile to the park entrance. Email  Fish Stocking History  Lake Records   Current Fishing Report  TPWD Public Access Facilities Map   
 
Topcat Canyon Lake Fishing Guide Service:
Offers guided fishing trips on Lake Dunlap, Lake McQueeney, Lake Placid, Choke Canyon, Pecos River, Lake Braunig, Lake Calaveras, Granger Lake, the Highland Lakes and Canyon Lake (bass). (512) 663-7166. Email
 
Bret Fisher Fishing on Braunig & Calaveras Lakes:
Offers guided fishing trips on Braunig & Calaveras Lakes near San Antonio, Choke Canyon, Falcon Lake, Canyon Lake and Coleto Creek Lake. (210) 394-3925.
 
Learn to Camp at Texas Parks & Wildlife State Parks' Outdoor Family Camping Workshops:
Theseworkshops are family camping sessions designed to teach camping skills to those who do not know how to camp; everything is provided from tent to broom. Gear includes a coffee pot, dishes, cooking pots, a camp stove, a battery operated fan and lantern, air mattresses, and a tent. Basic skills taught include pitching a tent, making a campfire, cooking on a propane camp stove, geocaching and using a GPS. Wildlife viewing, fishing and kayaking are available depending on the park and its facilities. After making reservations, families will be sent a packet of information which includes a grocery list. Those interested in this program may sign up for E-Mail Updates on Currently Scheduled Workshops. (512) 389-8903. Calendar
 
Hunt Texas Online Connection:
More than 95% of Texas land is privately owned, making it hard for hunters to find affordable hunting opportunities. The Texas Parks and Wildlife has a huge public hunting program, and has developed a new service to help hunters find hunting places. This new service is provided free by the TPWD. It allows landowners to list available hunting leases or spots that have opened up, and allows hunters to find private hunting leases according to their preferences. 
                      
Hunting, Texas Parks and Wildlife, General Hunting Information
Hunting, Public Hunting on State Lands, TPWD
Hunter Education
Hunting Season by Animal
Texas Parks & Wildlife Department Donations