Contact
 
 
Counties
Fort Bend, Harris
Region
Gulf Coast
Population
2010 Census - 67,358
2000 Census - 52,913
Nearby
Towns
Missouri City, Texas
null
Missouri City Texas History: 
In 1890, real estate agents R.M. Cash and L.E. Luckle purchased four square miles of land southwest of Houston and advertised lots in the St. Louis, Missouri area, and referred to the land as the “Land of genial sunshine and eternal summer.” In 1893, W.R. McElroy purchased eighty acres in the area, and began promoting his lots to St. Louis area residents, but referred to his land as Missouri City. Missouri City officially became a town in 1894. The first residents were from Arlington, Texas, and the first business was a blacksmith shop. In 1897, the Missouri post office was established in a general store. The Buffalo Bayou, Brazos and Colorado Railway built a line through the northern park of town 1853. The Missouri City train depot was built in 1902. Later the Sugar Land Railroad provided service to the town. Area farmers shipped sugarcane, corn, cattle and cotton via the railroad. Sugarcane was shipped to Sugar Land. Many residents also used the railroad to commute to work in other towns. Oil was discovered nearby in 1919, a salt mine opened, and in 1925, natural gas was discovered. Missouri City was the first town in Fort Bend County to use natural gas. Missouri City incorporated in 1856. Today, most of the town’s economy is based on ranching and farming. Many residents commute to Houston to work. Missouri City is located at the intersections of U.S. 90, U.S 59 and SH 6, 29 miles southeast of Katy, 6.5 miles east of Sugar Land, two miles northeast of Stafford, 20.5 miles northeast of Addicks, 18.5 miles southwest of Houston, 24 miles southwest of Pasadena, 14.5 miles northeast of Richmond, and 28.5 miles northeast of Needville, Texas.  
 
Historic Missouri City, Texas Historical Marker:
“In 1890 Houston realtors R.M. Cash and L.E. Luckel began a real estate development here, promoted to attract settlers from Missouri and Illinois. The settlement was established on four sections of land purchased from the Buffalo Bayou, Brazos & Colorado Railroad. In 1894 the townsite of Missouri City was platted on the property of W.R. McElroy of Houston. The early growth of the community was hindered by two major natural disasters that struck the area. In 1895 a severe snowstorm caused extensive damage. Many residents, attracted to the coastal region by the mild climate, were discouraged and left for other areas. In 1900 a destructive hurricane hit the town, leaving only three homes standing. Despite the early setbacks, the settlers rebuilt and Missouri City became a flourishing town. Oil was discovered here in 1920 and a salt mine opened a few years later. The economic development of the area, which included ranching and farming, helped make the town a major railroad shipping center. Missouri City incorporated in 1956 and Robert A. Stallings served as the first mayor. The community schools, established at this site in 1895, became part of the Fort Bend Independent School District in 1959.” The marker is located at 200 Louisiana Street in front of Missouri City Junior High School.
 
Historic Robinson House, Texas Historical Marker:
“A native of Arlington, Texas, Emerson R. Robinson (1876-1945) moved to this area with his family in 1894. Robinson operated the mercantile store in town, served many years as postmaster, and was on the Missouri City School Board. This home was constructed for his family during the early 1900s. Doric columns support the porch, with top and side windows at the front entry. The home remained in the Robinson family for over 70 years.” 302 Main Street.
 
Historic Old Dyer House, 1890:
“Victorian home, of heart pine and cypress, built with square nails. Erected in Richmond, Texas (by) J. T. Dyer, builder, had crew desert him during murders in Jaybird-Woodpecker feud, a war for political rights. (The house was) moved to present site, 1963.” The house is located at 11510 S. Garden Street.
 
DeWalt Heritage Center:
This museum is housed in the historic Dew Plantation House in Kitty Hollow Park. The interactive museum features historic photos, artifacts, and a collection of oral histories. A large space is available for community activities. The park is located at 9555 SH 6 South, Missouri City.
 
Missouri City Branch Library:
The library provides traditional library programs, genealogy materials, children, youth and adult programs, summer programs, public access computers with internet connections, and free Wi-Fi. The library has a Genealogy & Local History Room. It also offers free Hoopla Digital, a Netflix type service permitting members to download movies, e-books, music and other entertainment to their personal devices. Up to five may be downloaded each month either in the library or online.  Open Mon, noon-9pm; Tue-Wed, 10am-9pm; Thu, 10am-6pm; Fri, noon-5pm; Sat, 10am-5pm; closed Sunday. (281) 238-2100. Children’s Department: (281) 499-1558. 1530 Texas Parkway, Missouri City, 77459. Email
 
Sienna Branch Library:
The library provides traditional library programs, genealogy materials, children, youth and adult programs, summer programs, public access computers with internet connections, and free Wi-Fi. The library has a Genealogy & Local History Room. It also offers free Hoopla Digital, a Netflix type service permitting members to download movies, e-books, music and other entertainment to their personal devices. Up to five may be downloaded each month either in the library or online. Open Mon-Tue & Thu, 7:30am-9pm; Wed, 7:30am-6pm; Fri, 7:30am-5pm; Sat, 10am-5pm; closed Sunday. (281-238-2900. 8411 Sienna Springs Boulevard, Missouri City, 77459. Email