Contact
 
 
County
Gray
Region
Panhandle Plains
Population
2010 Census - 778
2000 Census - 830
Nearby
Towns
McLean, Texas
null
McLean Texas History:  
In 1901, the Choctaw, Oklahoma and Texas Railroad Company dug a water well and completed a switch and section house at present day McLean, and local rancher Alfred Rowe donated land for a townsite and platted the town. Rowe later died on the Titanic. The McLean-Alanreed Museum features Titanic exhibits. By 1904, the town had a post office, three general stores, two wagon yards, a lumberyard, livery stables, stockyard and a newspaper, and was a commercial and shipping center for area ranchers and farmers who shipped hogs, cattle, watermelon and other agricultural products. The town’s water source was a windmill powered water well located in the middle of the town’s main street. McLean incorporated in 1909. By 1920, the towns’ economy benefited from are oil and gas wells. In 1940, McLean had approximately 1,500 residents. A World War II German POW camp was built in 1943. By 1948, the Camp was reduced to only foundations and today an airfield cuts across the former camp center. McLean is located at the intersection of IH-40 (Route 66) and SH 273, 70 miles south of Canadian, 34 miles south of Miami, 35.7 miles southeast of Wheeler, 36 miles northeast of Clarendon, 70 miles east of Amarillo, 55 miles southeast of Panhandle, and 35.7 miles southeast of Pampa, Texas.
 
Texas Plains Trail Region:
The 52-county Texas Plains Trail Region includes the Texas Panhandle and Plains. It stretches from the Texas towns of Big Spring and Colorado City in the southern portion of the region, to Muleshoe and the New Mexico state border in the west, to Quanah and Knox City in the east, and to the top of the Texas Panhandle, from Dalhart in the west to Lipscomb in the east. The Texas Plains Trail Region organization is a nonprofit heritage tourism organization affiliated with the Texas Historical Commission. TPTR acts as an economic development initiative that helps Texas communities to promote their historic and cultural resources, and increase tourism to their areas. The organization helps promote travel to heritage destinations and historic sites. A name repeatedly mentioned in the history of West Texas is Cynthia Ann Parker, a young child captured during a raid on Fort Parker. She grew up among the Comanches, married Comanche chief Peta Nocona, and had three children, Pecos, Quanah and Prairie Flower. In 1860, a party of Texas Rangers led by Sul Ross, a future governor of Texas, rescued her and her infant daughter Prairie Flower; Charles Goodnight participated in this raid. Her son Quanah became famous as the last great war chief of the Comanche. One of TPTR’s most visible recent projects is the Quanah Parker Trail. When the project is completed, giant Quanah Parker arrow markers will have been installed in all 52 counties in the Texas Plains Trail Region. Some counties will have more than one installation. The arrows were created and donated by New Home, Texas, artist Charles Smith. As of early 2014, over 70 arrows had been installed in almost 50 counties. Each arrow will have a plaque giving pertinent historical information. (806) 747-1997. P.O. Box 88, Lubbock, Texas 79408. Email  Plains Trail Map
 
IH-40 Road Side Rest Areas and Storm Shelters, Near Alanreed:
The Donley County east bound IH-40 roadside rest stop is located west of Alanreed at mile maker 129,approximately one hour east of Amarillo. Its partner rest stop on west bound IH-40 at mile marker 131 is actually located in Gray County. Both ADA compliant buildings have air-conditioned lobbies and restrooms, interactive displays, picnic tables, a playground, vending machines, a walking trail, and a storm shelter (think tornadoes).
 
Historic Route 66:
Also known as the Will Rogers Highway, and colloquially known as the “Main Street of America” or the “Mother Road,” Route 66 was established in 1926 with road signs erected in 1927. The 2,448 miles highway originally ran from Chicago, Illinois, through Missouri, Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, and California before ending at Los Angeles, California. A Route 88 slogan was “Get Your Kicks on Route 66.”It was immortalized in a hit song recorded by the Nat King Cole Trio in 1946, and by the 1960s Route 66 television show. Route 66 served as a major path for those who migrated west, especially during the Dust Bowl of the 1930s, and it supported the economies of the communities through which the road passed. People doing business along the route became prosperous due to the growing popularity of the highway, and those same people later fought to keep the highway alive in the face of the growing threat of being bypassed by the new Interstate Highway System. In 1985 Route 66 was officially removed from the U.S. Highway System after being replaced by the Interstate Highway System. After the road was decommissioned in 1985, federal and state agencies, private organizations, and numerous members of public realized that remnants of the road were quickly disappearing, and that the remaining significant structures, features, and artifacts associated with the road should be preserved. In 1990, the U.S. Congress passed Public Law 102-400, the Route 66 Study Act of 1990. The act recognized that Route 66 "has become a symbol of the American people's heritage of travel and their legacy of seeking a better life." The legislation resulted in the National Park Service conducting the Route 66 Special Resource Study to evaluate the significance of Route 66 in American history, and to identify options for its preservation, interpretation, and use. The document provides an in-depth account of significance and history of Route 66. This study led to enactment of Public Law 106-45, and the creation of the Route 66 Corridor Preservation Program.Several states have established Route 66 State Associations. Texas towns located along Route 66 include, Lela, Shamrock, McLean, Alanreed, Jericho, Groom, Lark, Conway, Amarillo, Bushland, Wildorado, Vega, Adrain, and Glenrio, Texas. 
 
Route 66 Businesses in McLean:
At McLean, Old Route 66 crosses under IH-40 and enters McLean at Exit 146. Businesses include the
restored 1927 Philips 66 service station, the deserted Cactus Inn, the old Reptile Ranch building (the Reptile Ranch sign blew over in a storm), the abandoned Avalon Theater, the Rexall Drugstore, and the local museums. The service station was the first Phillips 66 station in Texas. Route 66 Dirt Road between Alanreed and McLean
 
Devils Rope & Route 66 Museum:
The museum is located in a former brassier factory. Facilities include the Devil’s Rope Museum, the Texas Old Route 66 Museum featuring over 700 Route 66 artifacts (road signs, ads, souvenir and a Greasy Spoon Café), the Western Heritage Community Room, The Hagemeier Library, and the Museum Mercantile selling souvenirs including barbed wire samples. The museum claims to have the largest collection of barbed wire and old fencing tools in the world. It may be correct in regards to the barbed wire as the museum has two huge solid barbed wire balls weighting approximately 400 pounds each sitting on top of limestone fence posts and joined by an antique wrought iron fence. Additional exhibits include a restored Phillips Service Station, ranching exhibits, a history of the cowboy exhibit, barbed wire sculptures, pen and ink illustrations by famed western artist Al Martin Napoletano, and exhibits depicting the history of McLean and the 1940s German POW camp. The museum offers barbed wire making demonstrations. Open Mon-Fri, 9am-5pm; Sat, 10am-4pm. They are closed from December 1 to March 1. (806) 779-2225. 100 Kingsley Street. Email  
  
McLean-Alanreed Historical Museum:
The museum features exhibits depicting the history of McLean and the Texas Panhandle, and a Titanic exhibit inspired by the death of Alfred Rowe on the Titanic in 1912. (806) 779-2731. 116 Main Street (Highway 66). 
 
Lovett Memorial Library, 1950:
The library provides traditional library programs, children, youth and adult programs, summer programs, audio books, fax and copy machines, public access computers with internet connections, and free Wi-Fi. Open Mon-Fri, 9am-5pm. (806) 779-2851. 302 North Main Street.Email
 
Red River Steakhouse:
This wonderful restaurant serves good pulled pork sandwiches, steaks and other menu items. The steakhouse is located in the old Reptile Ranch building on Route 66 (U.S. 40). (806) 779-8940. 101 W. U.S. 66, McLean. Reviews