Contact
 
 
County
Limestone
Region
Praries & Lakes
Population
2010 Census - 7,459
2000 Census - 6,552
Nearby
Towns
Mexia, Texas
null
Mexia Texas History:
In 1833, the Mexia (Meh-Hay-Uh) family settled in the Mexia on an eleven league land grant they received from the Mexican government. This land included the current Mexia townsite. The town was named in their honor. In 1870, the Houston and Texas Central Townsite Company platted the town as a stop on the Texas Central Railroad who was extending their line through Mexia and Groesbeck to Hearne, Texas. The company began selling lots in 1871.  The Mexia post office was established in 1872, and the town incorporated in 1873. By 1880, Mexia had for schools, three churches and 1,800 residents. Between 1904 and 1905, the Trinity and Brazos Valley Railway built a line between Hillsboro and Houston. This line passed through Mexia, making the town a crossroads for shipping area agricultural products. In 1912, the Mexia Gas and Oil Company discovered a large natural gas deposit. The Mexia oilfield was discovered in 1920. In 1942 a POW camp was established at Mexia. In 1947, the facility became the Mexia State School, now the Mexia State Supported Living Center. The Center is one of Mexia’s largest employers. Mexia is located at the intersection of U.S. 84 (Milam Street), SH 14, and SH 171, 21 miles northeast of Thornton, 42 miles northeast of Waco, 12 miles northeast of Groesbeck, 47 miles southeast of Hillsboro, 29.6 miles southeast of Dawson and Navarro Mills Lake, 31 miles south of Corsicana, 25.7 miles southwest of Streetman and Richland Chambers Lake & WMA, 22.7 miles southwest of Fairfield and Fairfield Lake State Park, 13.7 miles northwest of Teague, and 33.7 miles northwest of Buffalo, Texas.  
 
Historic Origin of the Texas State Teachers Association, Texas Historical Marker Text:
The first statewide teacher association in Texas had its beginnings in two regional teachers’ organizations. The North Texas Education Association was begun in Dallas in 1877. Teachers in central Texas met in Austin in 1879, formed the Austin Teachers Association, and made plans to meet the next year with the north Texas group to create a statewide organization. At a three-day meeting beginning June 29, 1880, about 40 Texas educators met at this site (former Cumberland Presbyterian Church) and organized the Texas State Teachers Association. The Rev. Dr. J. R. Malone was elected president and Governor O. M. Roberts served as guest speaker. The new organization took as its purpose the advancement of public education. One resolution passed at the first meeting supported the organization of the University of Texas, which at the mandate of the Legislature actually opened for classes in 1883. All professional teachers in the state were invited to join and by 1979 the membership had grown to over 100,000. TSTA has helped improve the quality of education by raising teacher standards and by influencing passage of major education legislation.”
 
Old Fort Parker Historic Park Information:
In 1832, theologian Daniel Parker received permission to settle in Texas. He organized his followers into the Predestination Baptist Church. They left Illinois in July of 1833, and eventually settled near the present city of Elkhart, where a replica of their Pilgrim Baptist Church still stands in their memory. In December, 1833, Elder John Parker and three of his sons began construction of Parker's Fort.On May 19, 1836, Noconi Comanche Indians attacked the fort. Five settlers were killed and 5 were captured. The surviving 21 settlers moved to the Palestine area. One of those captured was a young child named Cynthia Ann Parker. She grew up among the Comanche, married Comanche Chief Peta Nocona, and had three children by him. In 1860, a party of Texas Rangers (including Charles Goodnight) rescued her and her infant daughter, Prairie Flower. Cynthia begged to be returned to her husband, but her request was refused. She died within a short period of time after her rescue. Her son Quanah Parker became the last Great War Chief of the Comanche. This 37.5 acre park on Fort Parker Lake was deeded to TPWD by private owners in 1936, and opened to the public as a state park. It is not longer under TPWD management. The reconstruction of the original fort, the construction of park buildings, and the building of the dam on the Navasota River to create Fort Parker Lake was completed by the CCC (Civilian Conservation Corps) in 1936. The fort was reconstructed again in 1967. The Fort Parker Cemetery is located 2 miles from the fort. The cemetery contains the graves of the people killed in the 1836 Comanche Raid, and is still used for burials. This historic site is available for event rentals. For more complete park information, go to the Old Fort Parker SHS Home Page. (254) 729-5253. 866 Park Road 35, Groesbeck, Texas 76642. Email    
 
Mexia Public Schools Museum & Alumni Association:
The old original Mexia High School building houses the Mexia ISD offices and the museum. The museum features artifacts, documents, and photos depicting the history of Mexia public schools and Dunbar High School. Exhibit subjects include the Dunbar High School area, World War II graduates who served in the military, class rings, sports and school bands. The museum also has a collection dedicated to Kathy Jones, a Mexia High School junior who tragically lost her life in 1969. The museum is open the first Saturday of each month from 10am to noon, and by appointment. Admission is free; donations are appreciated. (254) 562-4003, Ext. 190. 616 North Red River Street.   
 
Navarro College South, Mexia:
(254) 562-3848. 901 North MLK Jr. Highway, Mexia, TX 76667. Directions
 
Gibbs Memorial Library:
The library provides traditional library programs, children, youth and adult programs, summer programs, movies and audio books, public access computers with internet connections, and free Wi-Fi. Open Mon-Fri, 10am-6pm; Sat, 10am-4pm. (254) 562-3231. (254) 562-6169. 305 East Rusk Street.