Contact
 
 
County
Matagorda
Region
Gulf Coast
Population
2010 Census - Unknown
2000 Census - 605
Nearby
Towns
Matagorda, Texas
null
Matagorda Texas History:
Matagorda was established in 1827 when Stephen F. Austin received permission from Mexico to build a town; it is one of Austin’s three original colonies. Elias Wightman, Hosea League, James Austin, and partners Thomas Duke and William Selkirk each had one fourth interest in the town which they platted in 1827. 52 families from New York and New England became the first settlers. Town officers were elected in 1829, and the partners donated lots to some residents in exchange for their services. Cotton became an important crop and was established by 1825. Matagorda incorporated in 1830 and within two years had over 1,400 residents. Matagorda was abandoned during the Mexican invasion during the revolution. Resident’s returned in 1836 after the San Jacinto victory. They formed a county, and named Matagorda the county seat. During the Civil War the town was a port for blockade runners; although it was never invaded it was fired on by Federal ships. After the war the Plantation economy suffered from lack of labor. Hurricanes repeatedly swept the area. Bay City became the county seat in 1894 when they decided an inland courthouse might be safer. A 1942 hurricane forced the county to build a levee; this levee minimized damage sustained during Hurricane Carla in 1961. Matagorda is located on Matagorda Bay near the mouth of the Colorado River on SH 60 and FM 2031, 22 miles southeast of Collegeport, 11 miles south of Wadsworth, 35 miles southwest of Sargent, and 22 miles south of Bay City, Texas.  
 
Historic City of Matagorda, Texas Historical Marker Text:
“Near the mouth of the Colorado River, 20 miles to the south, is the town of Matagorda, the second most important Port of entry in early Texas. In the Civil War, center for rich farmlands and one of 8 Texas ports that blockade runners used for taking out tons of cotton while delivering to the confederacy guns, munitions, clothing and other vital goods. By reason of the declared blockade, the federals claims to hold Matagorda, yet their own ships had to refuel (even to supplies of drinking water) in New Orleans. When a blockader's crew went ashore near Matagorda, on November 20, 1862, confederates captured every man. By hit-and-run tactics, federals destroyed salt works and other property, but found Matagorda Peninsula impossible to occupy. On December 30, 1863, C.S.A. cottonclads (ships bulwarked with cotton bales in which guns were set) moved men out of Matagorda to expel a federal unit from a beach below confederate works at Caney Creek. When troops were trying to land, a sudden northern lashed the bay and swamped their skiffs. Before the ships could pick them up, 22 men died by drowning or freezing. In the tragedy, the troop commander, Capt. E.S. Rugeley lost his own 17-year-old brother.”
 
Matagorda Harbor, Port of Bay City Authority& Colorado River Lock Tours:
Matagorda Harbor opened in 1990 as part of the Mouth of the Colorado River Project. Port amenities include slips for approximately 222 pleasure boats, limited bulkhead space for transient boats, boat trailer storage, four public paved boat ramps, a sheltered and screened fish cleaning station, a reservable dockside tournament pavilion, a reservable pavilion located across from the D boat house, a reservable air-conditioned recreation hall with restrooms, showers and a store, and 26 RV spaces available to boat slip patrons. The Waterfront Restaurant and Skipper’s Bait and Tackle are located nearby. The harbor is home port of the Texas A & M Marine Advisory Service classroom vessel, Karma. (979) 863-2103. The Harbor is located on the Intracoastal Waterway at Texas mile 440, at the intersection of SH 60 South and CR 255 in Matagorda, Texas, approximately 25 miles south of Bay City, Texas. Email    
 
Texas A&M Marine Advisory Service’s Floating Classroom Vessel Karma:
The floating classroom program is part of Texas Sea Grant Extension, a coastal outreach division of Texas A&M. They offer marine sciences workshops that combine beach, wetland and bay field studies with lab units to teachers, and students in grades 4 through 12. The boat is located at Matagorda Harbor. Contacts