Contact
 
 
County
Lipscomb
Region
Panhandle Plains
Population
2010 Census - 37
2000 Census - 44
Nearby
Towns
Lipscomb, Texas
null
Lipscomb Texas History:
In 1886, when J. W. Arthur learned that the Panhandle and Santa Fe Railway was going to build through the area, he established a combination store and post office at the site. He named it Lipscomb after a pioneer judge. A town company was organized by county developer Frank Biggers, and lots were sold for $3 an acre. In 1887, Lipscomb was elected Lipscomb County seat over the nearby towns of Dominion and Timms City. The Gilbert Hotel was moved from Dominion to Lipscomb. When the railroad arrived in the area, it built its tracks south of Lipscomb. Town residents were unsuccessful it their attempts to persuade another railroad to supply rail service to the town. Today the town is commercial center for area farmers, ranchers and the oil and gas industries. Lipscomb is located in the far northeast corner of the Texas Panhandle 12 miles west of the Oklahoma border at the intersection of SH 305 and CR T, 126 miles northeast of Amarillo, 26 miles northeast of Canadian, 49.5 miles northeast of Miami, 72 miles northeast of Pampa, 45 miles southwest of Perryton, and 71.5 miles slightly northeast of Spearman, Texas.
 
Texas Plains Trail Region:
The 52-county Texas Plains Trail Region includes the Texas Panhandle and Plains. It stretches from the Texas towns of Big Spring and Colorado City in the southern portion of the region, to Muleshoe and the New Mexico state border in the west, to Quanah and Knox City in the east, and to the top of the Texas Panhandle, from Dalhart in the west to Lipscomb in the east. The Texas Plains Trail Region organization is a nonprofit heritage tourism organization affiliated with the Texas Historical Commission. TPTR acts as an economic development initiative that helps Texas communities to promote their historic and cultural resources, and increase tourism to their areas. The organization helps promote travel to heritage destinations and historic sites. A name repeatedly mentioned in the history of West Texas is Cynthia Ann Parker, a young child captured during a raid on Fort Parker. She grew up among the Comanches, married Comanche chief Peta Nocona, and had three children, Pecos, Quanah and Prairie Flower. In 1860, a party of Texas Rangers led by Sul Ross, a future governor of Texas, rescued her and her infant daughter Prairie Flower; Charles Goodnight participated in this raid. Her son Quanah became famous as the last great War Chief of the Comanche. One of TPTR’s most visible recent projects is the Quanah Parker Trail. When the project is completed, giant Quanah Parker arrow markers will have been installed in all 52 counties in the Texas Plains Trail Region. Some counties will have more than one installation. The arrows were created and donated by New Home, Texas, artist Charles Smith. As of early 2014, over 70 arrows had been installed in almost 50 counties. Each arrow will have a plaque giving pertinent historical information. (806) 747-1997. P.O. Box 88, Lubbock, Texas 79408.  Email  Plains Trail Map
 
Lipscomb County AgriLife Extension Office:
The Texas A&M AgriLife Extension offices are responsible for 4-H and youth programs, agriculture and natural programs, family and consumer science, and community development. They also have hunting information. They manage head start, senior citizen, home economics, agriculture, 4-H and other programs. If your tomatoes have blight, contact them. If you need to know something regarding a small town, contact them or the county judge’s office. (806) 862-4601.  Email     
 
Lipscomb County Courthouse, 1916:
The courthouse was designed in classical revival style by architect W. R. Rice. A year round population of wild turkeys stroll the courthouse grounds. The 2010 Lipscomb County census was 3,302. (806) 862-4131. 100 South Main Street, Lipscomb, Texas 79056.   
 
Historic Ivanhoe State BankMuseum:
The bank features the old teller booth and the Ivanhoe Gallery. The gallery was established by Lance and Tanja Bussard. The restored bank building is located east of the Courthouse Square. (806) 653-2131. (806) 653-3321.
 
Wolf Creek Heritage Museum:
The museum features exhibits depicting the history of Lipscomb County, including farming and ranching implements, pioneer household items, a windmill model, and World War II memorabilia. The museum also hosts local artists’ exhibits. Open Mon-Fri, 10am-4pm, or by appointment. The museum is closed during the month of December. (806) 653-2131. (806) 653-3321. The museum is located on SH 305.
 
J.W. Beeson Saddle Shop:
Beeson is a cowboy poet, saddle maker and ranch cowboy. He works at a local ranch and travels the country offering cowboy poetry readings. His saddle shop is located at 103 Main Street. (806) 852-6303.