Contact
 
 
County
Montgomery
Region
Pineywoods
Population
2010 Census - 621
2000 Census - 489
Nearby
Towns
Montgomery, Texas
null
Montgomery Texas History:
In 1823, Andrew J. Montgomery established a trading post a few miles west of present day Montgomery. In 1837, Montgomery was named the county seat of the newly formed Montgomery County, the third county formed under the Republic of Texas. The Montgomery post office opened in 1846, and the town incorporated in 1848. The town became a trading center for cotton and lumber. In 1870, the Houston and Great Northern Railroad established a line through the center of the county. Conroe was established on the railroad line; in 1889, Conroe was voted the new county seat. The population in Montgomery dropped from 1,000 in 1890 to 600 two years later, although the town's businesses still included cotton gins, sawmills, and two hotels. The population decreased to 350 by 1925 but revived after World War II, reaching 750 in 1950, when Montgomery remained a market and shipping center for the western part of the county. The population slowly declined to fewer than 300 in the 1980s, but 10,000 people lived within a seven-mile radius of the town. The Texas Lone Star Flag was designed by Montgomery resident Dr. Stewart; Dr. Stewart is buried in the 1868 New Cemetery. The Montgomery Historical District is located one block north of the intersection of SH 107 and FM 149. Montgomery is located near the southwestern edge of the Davy Crockett National Forest near Lake Conroe, at the intersection of SH 105 (Eva Street) and FM 149 (Liberty Street), 26 miles east of Navasota, 50 miles southeast of College Station, 26 miles southeast of Anderson, 42 miles southwest of Huntsville, 32 miles northwest of Spring, 29 miles southwest of New Waverly, 15.6 miles southwest of Willis, 39 miles west of Cleveland, 15 miles west of Conroe, 38 miles northwest of New Caney, 30 miles northwest of Splendora, 23.3 miles slightly northwest of Tomball, 42 miles northeast of Hempstead, 11.7 miles northeast of Plantersville, 15.8 miles northeast of Magnolia, and 54 miles northwest of Houston, Texas. 
 
Historic "Bells of Montgomery County Chapel," 1908:
This is considered one of the most beautiful historic wedding chapels in Texas. It features stained glass windows. It is owned byKirk Jones. The Wedding Chapel is located adjacent to the old Baptist Church at 309 Pond Street.
 
Fernland Historical Park:
The projects goal is to bring historical log homes and early buildings dating back to the 1820s to the site. In July 2010, the first building, a Blacksmith Shop, was moved to the site. Other buildings include the Crane cabin, Hulen house, Jardine cabin, Bearbend Hunting Lodge (used by Sam Houston), Sam Houston Dog Run house, and Arnold-Simonton house. The restored buildings are furnished with period pieces and accessories. The Tharp house features meeting rooms and restrooms. The rustic 40 acre Fernland site was donated by Carroll and May Tharp to Sam Houston State University, and has been used by film makers. Fernland is open the first Saturday of each month, 10am-2pm. The park is open for self-guided walking tours during daylight hours. Special Tours: (936) 294-1832. Educational presentations: (281) 467-8146. The park is located at 780 Clepper Street. Email  Facebook  
                                                                                                                                                   
N.H. Davis Pioneer Complex & Museum:
This museum is housed in the 1851 Davis Cottage which features furnishings and accessories from the 1840s to the 1890s. The log cabin was the original home of W.C. Clark. Clark’s decedents gave Davis the home in payment for legal work. In 1851, Nat Hart Davis disassembled the Clark house and moved the logs to its present location. In addition to the log house, a side or "shed" room and attic bedroom were built, and an underground cistern was dug. Judge Davis and his family resided here until 1876. The Davis Law Office is also located on the property. Open Mon-Sat, 11am-3pm. (936) 597-4899. 308 Liberty Street.    
 
Lone Star College, Montgomery:
(936) 273-7000. 3200 College Park Drive, Conroe, TX 77384.
 
Charles B. Stewart West Branch Library:
The library provides traditional library programs, genealogy materials, children, youth and adult programs, summer programs, public access computers with internet connections, and free Wi-Fi. The library has a Genealogy & Local History Room. It also offers free Hoopla Digital, a Netflix type service permitting members to download movies, e-books, music and other entertainment to their personal devices. Up to five may be downloaded each month either in the library or online. The Montgomery County Memorial Library System has a Little Free Library that provides access to free materials through book exchanges. This little library may be checked out by selected individuals and organizations – it travels several times per year to be temporarily installed at various publicly accessible locations within the county. Open Mon, Tue & thur, 9am-8pm; Wed, 9am-6pm; Fri-Sat, 9am-5pm. Metro: (936) 442-7718. Local: (936) 788-8314. 202 Bessie Price Owen Drive.
 
The Friendship Center Senior Center:
Amenities at this reservable facility include a lobby entrance, a large multi-purpose room, a flexible meeting space that may be configured into two smaller rooms, a large warming kitchen, and tables and chairs. The senior center offers meals, transportation, senior programs, case management, and activities. Open Mon-Fri, 8am-2pm. Lunch is served at 12pm. (281) 259-6665. 2500 Lone Star Parkway, 77356.
 
Lone Star College-Montgomery Saw Dogs Vintage Baseball:
The college sponsors the Montgomery College Saw Dogs, a vintage baseball team. The team is open to faculty and students. (936) 271-6124. 3200 College Park Drive, Conroe, TX 77384.