Contact
 
 
County
Falls
Region
Praries & Lakes
Population
2010 Census - 5,967
2000 Census - 6,628
Nearby
Towns
Marlin, Texas
null
Marlin Texas History:
In 1834, Sterling Clack Robertson established the settlement of Sarahville de Viesca on the west side of the falls of the Brazos River. Marlin was named for pioneer John Marlin and was platted on this townsite by Marlin’s son-in-law, Samuel A. Blain. Zenas Bartlett’s General Store was the first business. Bartlett’s wife later deeded the property to the city as a site for the city hall. The Marlin post office was established in 1851. The first courthouse was a log cabin. The present courthouse was constructed in 1938 after the 1887 courthouse was deemed unsafe. Marlin incorporated in 1867. The Houston and Texas Central Railway built a line through town in 1871. In 1892 while drilling an artesian well, mineral water was discovered. Within three years, Marlin had become a spa town and remained so for the next 50 years. By 1901, Marlin had 1,500 residents. In 1901, the International-Great Northern built a line through town and dredged a lake on the site of the current City Park. The 1920s firehouse is still in use. Marlin is located on the Brazos River at the intersection of SH 6 and SH 7, 57 miles southeast of Hillsboro, 30 miles southeast of Waco, 44.5 miles southwest of Mexia, 32 miles southwest of Groesbeck, 36.7 miles northwest of Hearne, 37 miles northeast of Cameron, 37 miles northeast of Temple, and 29 miles east of Moody, Texas. 
 
Historic (Conrad Hilton) Falls Hotel, 1929:
This was the 8th Hilton Hotel. A tunnel connected the hotel to a bathhouse across the street; the bathhouse is gone and the tunnel is blocked off.
 
Historic Public Fountain and Foot Soak Bath:
In 1892, a mineral water gusher shot 75 feet into the air; three years later Marlin had become a spa boomtown, as people came from all over the country to partake in the healing mineral waters; it remained a health center for the next 50 years. Today the artesian wells still produce 48,000 gallons of 147 degree water a day. The water is used to heat the hospital and the Chamber of Commerce office. At the Hot Water Pavilion downtown, the hot water pours from a marble fountain; it purges approximately every 43 minutes. The fountain is located adjacent under the public pavilion approximately two blocks east of the Falls County courthouse.
 
Falls County Courthouse, 1939:
The courthouse was designed by architect Arthur E. Thomas in modern style. The courthouse is listed in the National Register of Historic Places and has a Texas Historical Marker. The 2010 Falls County census was 17,866. (254) 883-1421. 125 Bridge Street, Marlin, TX 76661.
 
Palace Theater Community Playhouse, 1925:
Today this 350 seat theater offers stage productions and dinner theatres, concerts, recitals, style shows, and movies. (254) 803-2084. 133 Heritage Row, Marlin. Email 
 
Marlin Public Library:
The library provides traditional library programs, children, youth and adult programs, summer programs, public access computers with internet connections, and free Wi-Fi. Open Wed & Fri, 10am-5:30pm; Tue & Thu, 10am-7pm; Sat, 10am-2pm. (554) 883-6602. 400 Oaks Street.
 
Marlin Senior Civic Center:
The center provides activities, classes, a lunch program, Weight Watchers, an AARP Driver Safety course, and other programs for seniors. The 80 person capacity meeting/banquet room is available for event rentals. (254) 883-5900. 104 Hays Street. 
 
Event Venue - Historic Allen House:
This Greek revival style house was built for Dr. Walter Hanz Allen in 1911. It is available for event rentals. (254) 883-3662. 305 Ward Street. Email  
 
Market on Main:
The market is held on the third Saturday during the months of March, May, June, September and November. The markets feature special events including a March gardening focus, a May pie contest and auto show, a September quilt and apron show, and a November downtown bake show. Dates are subject to change. Call the Historic Downtown Marlin Association for current information. (254) 883-9225. (254) 803-5894.  
 
Annual Westphalia Church of the Visitation Picnic, 2nd Sunday in October:
Over 100 years old, this picnic is one of the largest church picnics in the area. In the beginning two meals of chicken and dressing and all the trimmings were served family style; handwritten cards were sent out to the church ladies telling them what menu items to bring to the picnic. Weeks before the picnic several parishioners would visit businesses in surrounding towns and ask for items for prizes for the Bingo and Country Store. For the sausage making, animals were brought to a farmer’s house and mixed there. In later years a Model A was parked under a shade tree with the back wheel jacked up and removed to pull the grinder. The same special recipe is still used today but butchering is done at the local Westphalia Market. About 3200 pounds of sausage are made. In time, parishioners of the Visitation parish felt that the harvest of the crops should be celebrated. The picnic was moved to October and is still held the second Sunday in October. It is thought that noodles were first included with the meal in the early 1960s.
Today the picnic features a booth selling three editions of the Westphalia Cooking cookbook, a teddy bear stand, bingo, a fish pond, a ring toss, a gun stand, a ball throwing game stand, an auction, live music, and an evening dance in the parish hall. The meal served between 11am and 7pm consists of fried chicken, sausage, Westphalia noodles, slaw, green beans, dessert and tea; more than 6,000 plates of food are served. The Little School Museum, Uncle Rubin’s Farm Shed, and the Convent are open to visitors. (254) 584-4983. The church is located at 144 CR 300, Westphalia. Email  Westphalia Texas Map; Click to Enlarge  Westphalia Texas Area Map
 
Sister’s Restaurant:
They serve delicious home cooking including chicken fried steak, fried pork chops, black eyed peas, fried okra, fish sandwiches, meatloaf, collard beans, cornbread, and desserts. The restaurant was featured in the December 2008 issue of Texas Monthly as one of the best small town cafes in Texas. Call for current hours. (254) 803-5744. 259 Live Oak Street. Reviews  More Reviews 
 
Whup’s Boomerang BBQ:
They serve delicious barbeque and were featured in Texas Monthly as one of the best BBQ places in Texas. They are generally open Thu-Sat; call for hours. (254) 883-5770. The owners have located their BBQ site adjacent to their house. 1203 Bennett Street. Reviews