Galveston, Harris
Gulf Coast
2010 Census - 83,560
2000 Census - 45,444
League City, Texas
League City Texas History:
The Galveston, Houston and Henderson Railroad built a line through the area in 1854. In 1873, George W. Butler established the settlement of Butler’s Ranch (or Clear Creek) on the railroad line on the site of a former Karankawa Indian village at the junction of Clear Creek and Chigger Bayou. Butler and his son Milby planted live oaks, many of which line Main Street today; they are called the Butler Oaks. In1893. J.C. League purchased the land and platted the townsite he renamed it League City. League also donated land for the town’s first school, the Little Green School. When the Clear Creek Development Company began selling agricultural lots in the 1890s, many of the settlers switched from raising dairy cows to farming. A poor farm and a convict farm were established in the 1890s. The post office was established in 1896. By 1914, the town was receiving service from three railroads, and had 500 residents who either operated dairies or grew Satsuma oranges, cotton, corn, potatoes, sugarcane, cucumbers, strawberries and truck crops. In 1923, Italian families moved into the area and began raising vegetables.After 1946 the town became a center for railroad shops and a Humble Oil tank farm. Today many residents work on the Humble pipeline or commute to nearby cities for work. The original Founders Square is located on FM 518 (Main Street), directly across the street from League Park. The square features shopping and restaurants. League City is located on Clear Creek and Magnolia Bayou, on U.S. 45, SH 3, SH 96 (League City Parkway) and FM 518 (Main Street), 2.6 miles southeast of Webster, 4.7 miles south of Nassau Bay, 4.4 miles southeast of Clear Lake City, 26.5 miles southeast of Houston, 21 miles southeast of Pasadena, 4.2 miles northwest of Dickinson, 15.8 miles northwest of Texas City, 27.2 miles northwest of Galveston, 15 miles southwest of La Porte, 7 miles southwest of Seabrook, and 54 miles northeast of Surfside Beach, Texas.    
Karankawa Indians:
The nomadic Karankawa Indians lived along the Texas Gulf Coast from the western end of Galveston Island to Corpus Christi. Many warriors were over 6 feet tall. Men wore their hair to their waists. They were heavily tattooed and wore shell ornaments. They pierced each nipple and their bottom lip with small pieces of cane. They greased their bodies with shark liver oil to ward off mosquitoes and other insects. During the summer months they survived by moving inland and hunting with long bows. During the winters they fished and crabbed the coastal bays in dugouts. They lived in round huts made with thatch and animal skins. The Indians had varied experiences with Anglos though in the end their population was decimated through warfare and diseases caught from Anglos. The Indians helped Spanish explorer Cabeza de Vaca when he was shipwrecked on Galveston Island in 1528. After French explorers under LaSalle stole two canoes from the Karankawa and refused to return them, the Karankawa engaged them in battle; the Indians won. The Karankawa were not cannibals. Though they did sometimes eat captured enemies, they did not do this for food, but rather to absorb the magic powers of the enemy.
Historic Railroad Section House:
This house was built adjacent to the depot between 1887 and 1897 by the G.H. & H. Railroad as housing for the superintendent of the railroad section gang. Today it houses the League City Parks & Recreation Department. 305 East Main Street.
League City Time Capsule:
As of 2012 the time capsule was being created. It will be opened in 2037. Click on the above link if you would like to be included.
League City Fallen Heroes Memorial:
This memorial is located at the Chester L. Davis Sportsplex at 1251 League City Parkway.