Contact
 
 
County
Kerr
Region
Hill Country
Population
2010 Census - Unknown
2000 Census - 20,425
Nearby
Towns
Kerrville, Texas
null
Kerrville Texas History:
This hilly area has a national and international reputation for its karst landscapes and caves, scenic roadways, its river and streams, and biological diversity. Kerrville grew out of a shingle maker’s camp established by several shingle maker families including Joshua D. Brown’s family. These families spent the 1840s exploring approximately 100 miles of the Guadalupe River Valley before establishing their camp on a bluff overlooking the Guadalupe River in the early 1850s. Their early settlement was named Brownsborough. In 1856, Kerrville was elected county seat of the newly formed Kerr County. James Kerr platted the town that same year. In 1857, Christian Dietert established a large grist mill and saw mill on the bluff. This mill became the most extensive operation of its kind in the Hill Country west of New Braunfels and San Antonio. Charles A. Schreiner owned most of Kerrville’s early businesses. His former home now houses the Schreiner Historic Site and Education Center. The town’s main industries after the Civil war included lumber, produce, and cattle, sheep and goat ranching. The San Antonio and Aransas Pass Railway built a line through Kerrville in 1887. Leakey, Texas area ranchers raised hogs and brought them to the railroads in Kerrville and Sabinal via hog drives which were probably more interesting than the cattle drives. Many of the hogs ran off. Eventually weevils destroyed the acorns (hog food), putting an end to the hog industry. The Texas population of wild hogs has exploded (they can produce three litters a year). Today, they are the bane of ranchers and farmers, but hog hunting has become a favorite sport, and the smaller and younger hogs taste great when barbequed. Hunters attract them by putting out corn feeders. Feral Hogs (wild hogs) are not javelina. Kerrville incorporated in 1889. The Kerrville Water Works Company began to providing water to the town in 1894, telephone service was introduced in 1896, and the city began to pave streets in 1912. Today Kerrville enjoys a broad economic base including such industries as tourism, youth and church summer camps, agriculture, light manufacturing, and hunting and other outdoor activities. Water and Earl Garrett Streets are home to a large number of galleries, unusual shops, cafes and antique stores. Kerrville is located on the Guadalupe River at the intersections of IH-10, SH 16, SH 27 and SH 173, 13.3 miles east of Hunt, 7 miles southeast of Ingram, 56 miles southeast of Junction, 24.5 miles southwest of Fredericksburg, 55 miles southwest of Johnson City, 38.8 miles southwest of Stonewall, 34.6 miles southwest of Luckenbach, 55 miles northwest of Spring Branch, 30 miles northwest of Sisterdale, 34 miles northwest of Boerne, 18 miles northwest of Comfort, 37 miles northwest of Pipe Creek, 66 miles northwest of San Antonio, 44.5 miles northwest of Medina Lake and Lakehills, 25.5 miles northwest of Bandera, 12.3 miles north of Camp Verde, 24 miles northeast of Medina, 54 miles northeast of Utopia, and 44 miles northeast of Vanderpool, Texas.
 
Kerr County Courthouse, 1926:
The brick and concrete courthouse was designed in Beaux-Arts style by architects Adams and Adams. The 2010 Kerr County census was 49,625. (830) 792-2200. 700 Main Street. 
 
Kerrville/Kerr County Airport at Louis Schreiner Field:
Amenities include hanger space, rental cars, oxygen, a flight planning room with satellite weather, four star catering, a GPU, aircraft pre-cooling services, lavatories, a courtesy car, aircraft detailing, after hours services, and a pilots’ lounge with satellite TV. (830) 257-8840. 1875 Airport Loop Road, Kerville, 78028.