Contact
 
 
County
Angelina
Region
Pineywoods
Population
2010 Census - 35,067
2000 Census - 32,709
Nearby
Towns
Lufkin, Texas
null
Lufkin Texas History:
The town was established in 1882 as a stop on the Houston, East and West Texas Railroad. It was named for Galveston cotton merchant and city councilman Captain Abraham P. Lufkin, a Galveston cotton merchant and city councilman. Lots were advertised and many residents and businesses from nearby Homer moved to Lufkin to be closer to the railroad. The first stores were established behind the train depot on Cotton Square where cotton was stored before shipment. The square soon became the center for town activities. The Lufkin post office was also established in 1882. The town received telegraph service in 1883. In 1885, Lufkin lost a county election to have the Angelina County seat moved to Lufkin from Homer. Lufkin incorporated in 1890. In 1891, a mysterious fire destroyed the courthouse in Homer. In 1892, Lufkin won the election to become the new county seat. Until the 1920s, Lufkin prospered due to the lumber industry and the railroad. From 1938 to 1945 the town became an industrial area which further helped growth. Two of the city's principal industries, Southland Paper Mills (now St. Regis) and Texas Foundries, were begun as hometown companies in the late 1930s and were responsible for much of the city's industrial growth. The largest industrial employer, Lufkin Foundry and Machine Company (now Lufkin Industries), was also founded as a hometown company in 1902 and achieved worldwide fame for its oilfield pumping units. Between 1965 and 1983 Lufkin began to expand culturally by establishing a library, two museums, a civic center, a new federal building, a junior college, a new country club and two major shopping malls, and by making extensive municipal and park improvements. By 1990, the city had also developed a diversified economic base, including the manufacture of oilfield pumping units, machinery and gears, truck trailers and flooring, foundry products, candy, dairy products, and recreational goods. Tourism and the Ellen Trout Zoo have also added to town’s economic base. Lufkin is located at the intersections of U.S. 59, U.S. 69, SH 103, FM 324, FM 58, FM 1271 and FM 3150, 14 miles northwest of the Angelina National Forest, 11 miles east of the Davy Crockett National Forest, 61 miles south of Henderson, 20 miles south of Nacogdoches, 49 miles southwest of Timpson, 54 miles southwest of Center, 45 miles southwest of San Augustine, 20 miles southwest of Etoile, 56 miles northwest of Jasper, 23 miles northwest of Zavalla, 10.3 miles northwest of Huntington, 51 miles northwest of Woodville and B.A. Steinhagen Lake, 46 miles northeast of Livingston and Lake Livingston, 25 miles northeast of Corrigan, 52.5 miles northeast of Onalaska, 46 miles east of Crockett, and 59 miles southeast of Grapeland, Texas. 
 
Lufkin Murals:
Lance Hunter painted many murals on the buildings in downtown Lufkin. One mural is located on a commercial building at Cotton Square Park on the corner of West Lufkin Avenue and South Cotton Square.
 
U.S. 59 Angelina RiverBridge, 1935:
This concrete and marble span bridge spans the Angelina River at the west end of Kurth Lake. It is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
 
Angelina County Courthouse, 1955:
In 1953, the county dismantled the original 1903 courthouse designed by nationally famous architect James Riley Gordon. It was replaced with a modern courthouse designed by Wilbur Kent. Of the 18 courthouses Gordon designed, only 12 remain including those in Bexar, Comal, Ellis, Erath, Fayette, Gonzales, Harrison, Hopkins, Lee, McLennan, Victoria and Wise Counties.