Contact
 
 
County
Fayette
Region
Praries & Lakes
Population
2010 Census - 4,641
2000 Census - 4,478
Nearby
Towns
La Grange, Texas
null
La Grange Texas History:
In 1819, Aylett C. Buckner settled in the La Grange area, and in 1826 John Henry Moore built the twin blockhouse Moore’s Fort at current day 385 North Main Street in La Grange where the old Bahia Road crossed the Colorado River. A settlement grew up around the fort. This historical fort has been moved to the Village Green in Round Top, and restored. The town was platted in 1837 when the Congress of the Republic of Texas designated the settlement as the county seat of the newly formed Fayette County. The La Grange post office was established in 1838. La Grange became the trade center for area farmers. It incorporated in 1850. In the 1840s and 1850s, a large number of Germans and Czechs began immigrating to La Grange and Fayette County. An 1867 deadly outbreak of yellow fever killed approximately 240 people, approximately 20% of the town’s population. In 1880 the Galveston, Harrisburg and San Antonio Railway built a line through town. The railroad’s arrival contributed to the Kreische Brewery going out of business. The city's first bridge was built across the Colorado River in 1883. The town had 1,800 residents in 1884. A three-story stone Fayette County courthouse was completed in 1891. By 1896, the city had electric service and a waterworks, as well as the opera house, two bridges, four schools, five churches, three banks, three gristmills and cotton gins, and three newspapers, including the Deutsche Zeitung, a German-language publication. By 1900, some 2,392 people lived in La Grange. Like most small Texas towns, La Grange experienced a drop in population and the number of businesses during the Great Depression. La Grange received national attention during the late 1970s and early 1980s when the story of the Chicken Ranch was publicized through the Broadway production of The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas and a Hollywood film. La Grange is located on the Colorado River at the intersections of SH 71, U.S. 77 (Jefferson Street) and Business SH 71/SH 159 (Travis Street), 65 miles southeast of Austin, 33 miles southeast of Bastrop, 20.5 miles slightly southeast of Giddings, 20.5 miles southeast of Smithville, 45 miles southwest of Somerville, 38.6 miles southwest of Brenham, 24 miles southwest of Shelby, 16 miles southwest of Round Top, 16 miles west of Fayetteville, 25.5 miles slightly northwest of Frelsburg, 26.7 miles northwest of Columbus, 13.2 miles northwest of Ellinger, 9.6 miles north of Swiss Alp, 16.6 miles north of Schulenburg, 28.8 miles northeast of Flatonia, 15 miles northeast of Freyburg, and 6.7 miles northeast of Hostyn, Texas.
 
Fayette County Courthouse, 1891:
The courthouse was designed by famous courthouse architect J. Riley Gordon in a style more subtle than his wedding cake style courthouses in Waco and Waxahachie. It cost $96,000 to build. Other Gordon courthouses include Gonzales, Giddings, Decatur, New Braunfels, and the State Capitol of Arizona. The Fayette County courthouse has been restored. The 2010 Fayette County census was 24,554.
 
WPA Post Office Murals History:
During the Great Depression FDR created the New Deal Program to provide jobs for out of work American men by funding construction projects to build post offices and other buildings, and state and local parks. The Works Progress Administration (WPA) was created in May, 1935, under the New Deal Program. The U.S. Treasury Department’s Section of Painting and Sculpture, later known as The Section of Fine Arts, put artists to work by funding Post Office Murals to be placed in the new post offices. Though the majority of the post office art consists of oil paintings on canvas, other art mediums were also used. The murals are located in every state. Post Office Murals Photos
 
La Grange WPA Post Office Mural:
The mural "Horses" was painted by Tom Lewis in 1939 oil. The mural is damaged. It is located at the La Grange post office at 113 E. Colorado Street.