Muenster Texas History:
In 1889, Emil and August Flusche and three other land owners agreed to sell 22,000 acres to German immigrant settlers within two years. Within two months, twenty-five new settlers were attracted to the area by the Flusche brother’s advertisements and letters. A school/church was constructed that next year. In 1887, the Missouri, Kansas and Texas Railroad completed a line between Gainesville and Henrietta via Muenster. The town incorporated in 1927, and voters authorized liquor sales in within the city limits in 1959. Muenster bills itself as “Sausage Capital of North Texas.” Muenster is located approximately 18 miles south of the Red River at the intersection of U.S. 82 and FM 373, 50.6 miles southeast of Henrietta, 23 miles southeast of Nocona, 9.4 miles southeast of St. Jo, 53 miles southwest of Denison, 47 miles west of Sherman, 25.7 miles west of Whitesboro, 15.6 miles west of Gainesville, 9.5 miles west of Lindsay, 35.8 miles northwest of Collinsville, 45.8 miles northwest of Denton, 33 miles northwest of Sanger, and 32 miles northeast of Bowie, Texas.
History of the Painted Churches of Texas:
The more than 20 painted churches in Texas were established by German or Czech emigrants. The churches are so named because almost every interior surface area is painted in vivid colors. Some church interiors are painted in more detail than others. Wall inscriptions are in German or Czech. Many of the churches are small with high steeples. Many of the wooden churches are painted white. The 1886 Wesley Brethren Church in Wesley is the oldest and most primitive of the Painted Churches in Texas. It was a former school house. The 1913 Church of the Guardian Angel in Wallis, Texas was the last painted church built in Texas. In 1984, fifteen of these churches were added to the National Register of Historic Places. Five of the painted churches are located in Fayette County and five are located in Lavaca County. The most famous of the painted churches are the High Hill, Ammannsville, Dubina and Praha churches in Fayette County. All four of these churches are beautifully painted, and all are located within a short distance of each other. The Schulenburg Chamber of Commerce offers tours
of these four churches. Call (866) 504-5294 for a tour. The majority of the painted churches offer regular mass or church services.
St. Peter’s Catholic Church, 1918, Lindsay, Texas:
This German church was organized in 1892. The original church was destroyed by a cyclone. The present church was designed in neo-Romanesque style by Dutch architect Frank A. Ludewig, and built by Henry Wardein. The interior paintings of St. Benedict and St. Boniface were painted by Dr. Mathias Zell, father of Bernard Zell, the church pastor from 1910 to 1923. The remainder of the interior painting was completed by Swiss immigrant artist Friedolin Fuchs. The church is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The church is located in the small village of Lindsay on Main Street (follow the steeple). (940) 668-7609. 424 W Main Street. Lindsay is located 38 miles west of Sherman, Texas. Church Website
The museum is located in the former home of Ben Hellman, the town’s first Burgermeister
. Exhibits include an 1890 Victrola record player, an 1876 Mason Hamlin pump organ, an 1890 Blickensdefer typewriter, a 1895 wooden high chair, a Cooke county Justice of the Peace docket dating from 1883, a coat and hat worn in 1883 by Alois Hoenig on the boat from Germany, a centennial quilt made in 1989, and other exhibits depicting the history of City of Muenster and Cooke County. Group tours are available by appointment. Open Thu-Fri and Sunday, 1pm-4pm. (940) 759-2227. 420 North Main Street.
The Stonewall Saloon Museum, 1873, Saint Jo, TX:
The museum opened in 1958. It features swinging doors, a bar from Floresville, and exhibits depicting the history of St. Jo and the area. When the wall paint was removed during a restoration, an 1870s mural was discovered. The museum is located on the Courthouse Square which is located on Howell Street. Saint Jo is located at the intersection of U.S. 82 and FM 677 (Boggess Street), 13.6 miles southeast of Nocona, 14.6 miles southwest of Montague, and 9.4 miles northwest of Muenster, Texas. Email
Bettie M. Luke Muenster Public Library:
The library provides traditional library programs, children, youth and adult programs, summer programs, public access computers with internet connections, and free Wi-Fi. Open Tue & Thu, 10am-6:30pm; Wed, 10amm-5:30pm; Sat, 10am-2:30pm; closed Sunday, Monday and Friday. (940) 759-4291. 418 N. Elm Street.