Contact
 
 
County
Dallas
Region
Praries & Lakes
Population
2010 Census - 139,824
2000 Census - 124,523
Nearby
Towns
Mesquite, Texas
null
Mesquite Texas History:
In 1873, the Texas and Pacific Railway established the town and named it for nearby Mesquite Creek. Station agent William Bradfield was the town’s first settler. Residents from the nearby farm communities of Long Creek, New Hope, Haught's Store and Scyene moved to Mesquite. The Mesquite post office was established in 1874. The town incorporated in 1887. Early industries included cotton gins and a brick factory. During the town’s early years outlaws Jesse James, Cole Younger and Belle Starr lived in the vicinity. Sam Bass held up a Texas and Pacific train as it passed through town. The town grew slowly, but beginning in the 1950s, its proximity to Dallas helped the town’s growth as more residents preferred the small town atmosphere. In 2000, the town had 124,523 residents and over 4,000 businesses. The non-profit Historic Mesquite Inc. organization works to preserve Mesquite’s historic structures. Mesquite is located a few miles southwest of Lake Ray Hubbard at the intersections of IH-20, IH-30, U.S. 80 and IH-635, 27.7 miles northwest of Kaufman, 20.6 miles northwest of Terrell, 37.6 miles north of Ennis and Lake Bachman, 37.8 miles northeast of Waxahachie and Lake Waxahachie, 28.7 miles northeast of Cedar Hill and Cedar Hill State Park, 26.3 miles northeast of Grand Prairie and Mountain Creek and Joe Pool Lakes, 47.4 miles east of Fort Worth, 12 miles east of Dallas, 36 miles southeast of Grapevine, 36 miles southeast of Lewisville, 12.8 miles southeast of Garland, 36.6 miles south of McKinney, 36 miles southwest of Quinlan and Lake Tawakoni, 22.4 miles southwest of Wylie and Lake Lavon, and 19 miles southwest of Rockwall, Texas. 
 
Historic City of Mesquite, Texas Historical Marker Text:
“In May 1873, Texas & Pacific Railroad engineer A.R. Alcott platted a new depot town named Mesquite. The post office opened the following year. The community developed along the rail line, with businesses initially facing Front Street. As the town grew, business owners turned their front doors to Main Street in an effort to create a Town Square. Voters incorporated Mesquite in 1887. In 1903, following a legal challenge, the city re-incorporated with new boundaries. Mesquite, which began with an Agrarian economy, grew rapidly in the second half of the 20th century as a Dallas suburb. The school district, established in 1901, is a draw for new residents, and the city continues to grow.” The marker is located in Heritage Square at 209 W Main Street, 75149.
 
Historic Sam Bass Train Robbery, Texas Historical Marker Text:
“Sam Bass -- with Seab Barnes, Hank Underwood, "Arkansas" Johnson, and Frank Jackson -- held up a Texas & Pacific train here, April 10, 1878. They took $152, but missed hidden shipment of $30,000. In planning a bank robbery 3 months later, Bass was fatally shot by rangers.” The marker is located in Heritage Square at 209 W Main Street, 75149.
 
Mesquite Freedom Park & 9-11 Monument:
This park was dedicated on September, 11, 2016. The Mesquite Fire Department was given a 15 foot long, 575 pound twisted beam from the destroyed Twin Towers at the World Trade Center in New York City.  This beam is the monument and centerpiece of this park. The park is located at 1527 North Galloway Avenue, 75149, adjacent to the Mesquite Arts Center.  @cityofmesquite
 
Heritage Square, 0.14 Acres:
Amenities include landscaping and a gazebo. The square is located in Old Town Mesquite at 209 W Main Street, 75149.  @cityofmesquite