Contact
 
 
County
Upton
Region
Hill Country
Population
2010 Census - 1,887
2000 Census - 1,805
Nearby
Towns
McCamey, Texas
null
McCamey Texas History:
Until the Baker No. 1 oil well was discovered in 1925, McCamey was just a siding on the Kansas City, Mexico and Orient Railway. The day after the well came in the Burleson and Johns real estate firm from Corpus Christi organized the original townsite company. Almost overnight businesses sprung up to supply the oil field. George Port, land agent for the railroad, named the town. By 1926 seven major oil companies had leases in the surrounding area. The McCamey post office was established in 1926. The town was incorporated that same year. By the end of 1926, McCamey had seven major oil companies in the area, and a tent city with over 10,000 residents. In 1928, the Shell Oil Company made an unsuccessful attempt to build a mammoth storage reservoir to hold the surplus oil until pipelines to Houston refineries could be constructed. Cracks developed in the storage tank because the weight of the oil was too heavy for the limestone sides. Cracks developed and the oil leaked. The project was abandoned in 1929. The Humble Oil Company (which later became Exxon) ) operated one of the finest refineries in West Texas. Today, McCamey is a ranching and oil service center for the surrounding area. McCamey is located 5 miles east of the Pecos River at the intersection of U.S. 385 and U.S. 67 (3rd Street), 53 miles southeast of Odessa, 74 miles southwest of Midland, 19 miles southwest of Rankin, 38 miles northwest of Iraan, 46 miles northeast of Fort Stockton, 70 miles southeast of Monahans, and 21 miles southeast of Crane, Texas. 
 
Mendoza Trail Museum & Adrian House:
The museum features West Texas frontier exhibits, Indian artifacts, oil boom relics, and other items depicting the history of McCamey. The Santa Fe Railroad Depot and the Adrain house are located on the grounds. The Adrian house is furnished with period pieces and décor. The depot is available for event rentals. (432) 652-3333. The museum is located at the Santa Fe Park at 602 Santa Fe Street and U.S. 67.
 
Upton County Library:
(432) 652-8718. The library is located in the reservable McCamey Park building at 212 West 7th Street.
 
Upton County Birding:
Texas Bird Checklist with Photos
Upton County Bird Checklist with Photos
 
Santa Fe Park & Railroad Depot:
The McCamey Depot serves as a community building and features a kitchen, and a stage area on the east side of the building. Park amenities include large pecan trees, a playground, picnic tables, a picnic pavilion, restrooms, RV hookups, a dump station, the Mendoza Trail Museum, the Adrian House, and parking. Baseball fields are located in Nealie Moore Park on the south side of town. A skate park is located in the central portion of the city. The park is located at 602 Santa Fe Street and U.S. 67. (432) 652-3915. Reservations: (432) 652-3333.
 
Upton County Park & Swimming Pool:
Amenities include a swimming pool, basketball goals, horseshoes, a playground, picnic tables and BBQ grills, restrooms and parking. (432) 652-3915. 300 East 11th Street.
 
Dunbar Park, Upton County Park:
Amenities include a baseball field, a concession, stands, a picnic pavilion, picnic tables, and a playground. This park is located in the northern section of town.
 
McCamey Country Club, 9-Holes, 1928:
(432) 652-8904. The club is located at 1101 FM 1901.
 
Pecos River & U.S. 90 Pecos High (Railroad) Bridge:
The Pecos River, one of the major tributaries of the Rio Grande River, rises on the western slope of the Santa Fe Mountain range in Mora County, New Mexico and flows south through New Mexico before entering Texas approximately 40 miles northwest of Mentone, Texas. The Pecos River is dammed on the Texas side of the border to form the Red Bluff Reservoir which is located on the New Mexico-Texas border. The river forms the boundaries between Loving and Reeves, Reeves and Ward, Ward and Pecos, Pecos and Crane, Pecos and Crockett, and Crockett and Terrell Counties. The 926 mile long river flows through Val Verde County to its mouth on the Rio Grande River in the Amistad Reservoir approximately 20 miles west of Comstock, and approximately 40 miles northeast of Del Rio, Texas. The actual confluence of the Pecos and Rio Grande Rivers is located underwater in Lake Amistad. The shoreline of Lake Amistad extends up the Pecos River Valley for over 10 miles. Two wonderful viewing areas are located 18 miles east of Langtry, Texas on the east rim of the river canyon. The roadside park located south of the highway offers the best view in the entire region. The U.S. 90 Pecos River Bridge, a railroad bridge, is one of the most photographed sites in West Texas. Pecos River towns include Barstow, Grandfalls, Imperial, Langtry, Iraan, Sheffield, Pecos, Girvin and Pandale, Texas. Southwest Paddler  Fish Stocking History    
 
Fort Lancaster State Historic Site Information:   
Fort Lancaster was established in 1855 to protect the military route between San Antonio and El Paso, Texas. The fort was abandoned on March 19, 1861, after Texas seceded from the Union. In ruins, the fort once had 25 permanent buildings including a blacksmith shop, hospital, Sutler's store and a bakery. All the ruins are marked with identifying signs. An old cemetery is located on the fort grounds. Many archeological explorations have taken place at the fort. Recovered artifacts are on display in the museum and Visitors Center. A replica of an 1858 Concord stagecoach is also located at the Visitor Center. Park amenities include picnic sites and a nature trail. A golf cart may be rented on a first come, first served basis. There are several Texas Historical Markers at the fort including markers commemorating the fort, the Chihuahua Trail and Escondido Water Hole, and Howards Well. Just east of Fort Lancaster is a Scenic Overlook on U.S. 290 with a Texas Historical Marker commemorating the Old Government Road, a troops and supply road connecting San Antonio and El Paso. The fort site is not ADA compliant though a majority of the site can be navigated by wheelchair. The fort hosts special events and group tours by special arrangement. For more information read Texas Forts History and the Park Brochure.Fort Lancaster is located in the Pecos River Valley west of Ozona, Texas. (432) 836-4391. From Sheffield, take IH-10 east. Exit 343 on U.S. 290 (Scenic Loop), and go approximately 11 miles to the park entrance.
 
Learn to Camp at Texas Parks & Wildlife State Parks' Outdoor Family Camping Workshops:
Theseworkshops are family camping sessions designed to teach camping skills to those who do not know how to camp; everything is provided from tent to broom. Gear includes a coffee pot, dishes, cooking pots, a camp stove, a battery operated fan and lantern, air mattresses, and a tent. Basic skills taught include pitching a tent, making a campfire, cooking on a propane camp stove, geocaching and using a GPS. Wildlife viewing, fishing and kayaking are available depending on the park and its facilities. After making reservations, families will be sent a packet of information which includes a grocery list. Those interested in this program may sign up for E-Mail Updates on Currently Scheduled Workshops. (512) 389-8903. Calendar
 
Hunt Texas Online Connection:
More than 95% of Texas land is privately owned, making it hard for hunters to find affordable hunting opportunities. The Texas Parks and Wildlife has a huge public hunting program, and has developed a new service to help hunters find hunting places. This new service is provided free by the TPWD. It allows landowners to list available hunting leases or spots that have opened up, and allows hunters to find private hunting leases according to their preferences. 
                      
Hunting, Texas Parks and Wildlife, General Hunting Information
Hunting, Public Hunting on State Lands, TPWD
Hunter Education
Hunting Season by Animal
Texas Parks & Wildlife Department Donations