Contact
 
 
County
Nacogdoches
Region
Pineywoods
Population
2010 Census - 32,996
2000 Census - 30,872
Nearby
Towns
Nacogdoches, Texas
null
Nacogdoches Texas History:
Evidence exists that the area of downtown Nacogdoches between La Nana and Banita Creeks became a Caddoan site around 700 B.C. Approximately 2,000 years later, the Caddoan village consisted of structural mounds, mortuary mounds, and a civic ceremonial center in the plaza area now known as Washington Square. One mound still exists. This village was discovered by the Spanish who found the Nacogdoches Indians to be friendly; their word for friend was Tejas. DeSoto arrived in the area in 1542; the first descriptions of the town date from the Frenchman LaSalle’s stay in 1685. After French explorer St. Denis mapped out El Camino Real (the road) from the Rio Grande to Nacogdoches in 1713 and 1716, the Spanish decided to establish permanent settlements in the area with a series of missions, which included Nuestra Senora de Guadalupe de los Nacogdoches, and Mission Conception which was later relocated to San Antonio, Texas. In 1779, prominent Spanish trader Colonel Antonio Gil Y’Barbo received permission to establish a Puebla at the current townsite, and was appointed its lieutenant governor. He laid out the intersecting streets of El Camino Real (now SH 21) and La Calle del Norte (now Business U.S. 59). He wrote the first laws, and built the stone fort as his trading post in 1779. Though the fort housed several entities, it never served as a fort. It was demolished in 1902, and was reconstructed on the Stephen F. Austin State University campus by the Texas centennial Commission in 1936. The city was ruled by three independent republics before the Lone Star Republic was formed, and flies 9 flags, including the Spanish, French, Mexican, the Magee-Gutierrez Republic, the Long Republic, the Fredonia Republic, Lone Star,  Confederate and the United States flags. Nacogdoches remained an important Spanish and Mexican Colonial outpost, the capital of East Texas, until the Texas Revolution. It incorporated in 1836. During and after the Civil War, the town lost its importance due to the lack of transportation facilities such as a navigable rivers and railroads. The 1923 establishment of Stephen F. Austin State University attracted new residents and businesses. Nacogdoches is still a distribution and trade center for East Texas. The economy is based on education, poultry breeding, agriculture and its related services, and manufacturing. The town is beautiful – the woods remind me of Oregon. Nacogdoches is located at the intersections of U.S. 59, U.S. 259, SH 7, SH 21, FM 1878 and FM 941, 64 miles southeast of Palestine, 38 miles southeast of Rusk, 51 miles southeast of Jacksonville, 58 miles southeast of Kilgore, 40.4 miles southeast of Henderson, 26 miles southeast of Alto, 49 miles southwest of Carthage, 33.3 miles southwest of Center, 20 miles southwest of Garrison, 28.6 miles southeast of Timpson, 54 miles northwest of Milam and the Toledo Bend Reservoir, 35 miles northwest of San Augustine and the Sabine National Forest, 23 miles northwest of Etoile, the Angelina National Forest and the Sam Rayburn Reservoir, approximately 11 miles north of the Angelina River, 20.5 miles north of Lufkin, 68 miles northeast of Livingston and Lake Livingston, and 22 miles northeast of the Davy Crockett National Forest and Redtown, Texas.
 
Ancient Mound, Texas Historical Marker Text:
“Mound Street got its name in the 18th century from mounds which lined it from Main to King Street. These were built by prehistoric Indians. Only this one remains. Pottery from a demolished mound that measured 150 by 75 feet is preserved in Old Stone Fort, Stephen F. Austin State College.” This circa 1250 AD mound is located across the street from the Old University Building at 516 Mound Street.
 
Town Center (Old Federal Building), 1918:
In the past, the building has housed a post office, government offices, an army induction center and a library. Today it houses the Nacogdoches Convention & Visitors Bureau. Open Mon-Fri, 9am-5pm; Sat, 10am-4pm; Sun, 1pm-4pm. (888) 564-7351. This historic building is located on Nacogdoches’ downtown public square 200 East Main Street, 75961.
 
Nacogdoches County Courthouse, 1958:
This modern courthouse was designedby J. N. McCammon. The Nacogdoches County Courthouse is located on the second, smaller square designed in 1779. The square was originally named the Religious Square or Old Church Square because of the Old Catholic Church located there during colonial times. The 2010 Nacogdoches County census was 64,524. (936) 560-7755. 101 West Main Street, Nacogdoches, Texas 75961. Email