Contact
 
 
County
Knox
Region
Panhandle Plains
Population
2010 Census - 1,300
2000 Census - 1,527
Nearby
Towns
Munday, Texas
null
Munday Texas History:
R.P. Munday built a store on the future townsite in 1893. The community that grew up around the store was known as Maud. In 1894, Munday’s application for the Munday post office was granted. W. A. Earnest built a gin in 1900. The town was divided into West Munday and East Munday until 1903 when the West Munday businesses moved to the east side. The town received rail service from the Wichita Valley Railroad in 1906, the same year the town incorporated. The arrival of the railroad spurred the town’s growth and it soon was the largest town in the county. In 1940, Munday had 70 businesses and 1,545 residents. Texas A&M University opened a vegetable research center in Munday in 1971. Important industries include agriculture, petroleum based businesses, and manufacturing. Munday is located approximately 7 miles south of the Little Wichita River at the intersections of SH 222 (Main Street), U.S. 277, FM 1587 and FM 2811 (Munday Avenue), 19 miles southeast of Benjamin, 24.7 miles southwest of Seymour, 78 miles north of Abilene, 21 miles northeast of Haskell, 12 miles slightly northeast of Knox City, and 84 miles southeast of Wichita Falls Texas.
 
Texas Plains Trail Region:
The 52-county Texas Plains Trail Region includes the Texas Panhandle and Plains. It stretches from the Texas towns of Big Spring and Colorado City in the southern portion of the region, to Muleshoe and the New Mexico state border in the west, to Quanah and Knox City in the east, and to the top of the Texas Panhandle, from Dalhart in the west to Lipscomb in the east. The Texas Plains Trail Region organization is a nonprofit heritage tourism organization affiliated with the Texas Historical Commission. TPTR acts as an economic development initiative that helps Texas communities to promote their historic and cultural resources, and increase tourism to their areas. The organization helps promote travel to heritage destinations and historic sites. A name repeatedly mentioned in the history of West Texas is Cynthia Ann Parker, a young child captured during a raid on Fort Parker. She grew up among the Comanches, married Comanche chief Peta Nocona, and had three children, Pecos, Quanah and Prairie Flower. In 1860, a party of Texas Rangers led by Sul Ross, a future governor of Texas, rescued her and her infant daughter Prairie Flower; Charles Goodnight participated in this raid. Her son Quanah became famous as the last great war chief of the Comanche. One of TPTR’s most visible recent projects is the Quanah Parker Trail. When the project is completed, giant Quanah Parker arrow markers will have been installed in all 52 counties in the Texas Plains Trail Region. Some counties will have more than one installation. The arrows were created and donated by New Home, Texas, artist Charles Smith. As of early 2014, over 70 arrows had been installed in almost 50 counties. Each arrow will have a plaque giving pertinent historical information. (806) 747-1997. P.O. Box 88, Lubbock, Texas 79408. Email  Plains Trail Map
 
Saint Joseph's Catholic Church, Rhineland, TX:
In 1895, Hugo Herchenbach purchased land to establish the town of Rhineland and St. Joseph’s Catholic Church. In 1927, the church was partially destroyed by fire. Rev. Boniface Spanke designed plans for a German gothic church. The parish members donated most of the construction materials and built the church. The building contains more than 80,000 handmade bricks made in a small hand-operated machine that only made six bricks at a time. The beautiful Gothic alter was hand carved by the Grier brothers during the winter of 1900. Rhineland is located at the intersection of FM 267 South and FM 2534, 6 miles north of Munday, Texas.
 
Annual Red River Valley Yard Sale on U.S. 82 and U.S. 287, First Friday & Saturday in June:
The yard sale is located on U.S. 82 from Clarksville, Texas to Seymour, Texas, and on U.S. 287 from Vernon to Bowie, for a total of 350 miles of yard sale. Participating towns and sites include the Bonham Visitor Center (327 N. Main), Callisburg City Hall (59 Campbell), Clarksville’s Gateway Antiques on the Square (125 Locust), Denison Chamber of Commerce (313 W. Woodard Street), Gainesville’s Radcliff’s Buffalo Nickel (201 W. U.S. 82), Henrietta Dairy Queen (927 E. Omega), Holliday’s RT’s Food Store (206 W. Olive), Honey Grove Public Library (500 6th Street), Muenster Antique Mall (405 E. Division), Munday Chamber of Commerce (121 E. B Street), New Boston T & P Trailhead Park (South Ellis and SE Front Streets), Nocona Dairy queen (301 E. U.S. 82), Paris Chamber of Commerce (8 West Plaza), Quanah Chamber of Commerce (220 S. Main), Saint Jo’s Gas Station (306 S. Broad), Seymour Chamber of Commerce (400 N. Main), Sherman’s A Touch of Class Antiques (118 W. Lamar), Vernon Chamber of Commerce (1614 Main Street), and the Whitesboro Dairy Queen (1001 U.S. 377 North). Red River Valley Tourism Association: (800) 782-7167. (940) 538-6768. Munday Chamber of Commerce: (940) 422-4540. Map of Participating Towns
 
Annual Knox City Watermelon Festival, Last Weekend in July:
Activities include a carnival, a parade, arts and crafts, food booths, free swimming, free watermelon slices, contests, live music and more. Open Friday afternoon through Saturday. This event is held at City Park in the 100-2000 blocks of 2nd and 3rd Streets. Knox City is located 12 miles south of Benjamin and 12 miles west of Munday, Texas. Email