Praries & Lakes
2010 Census - 2,385
2000 Census - 2,186
Nixon, Texas
Nixon Texas History:
When the Galveston, Harrisburg and San Antonio Railroad built a line through the John T. Nixon Ranch in 1906, the Nixon family formed a land company to sell off town lots on the site. Within a year the town had a cotton gin, a meat market, a barbershop, a physician, a general store, a bank, and a lumberyard. The town was granted a post office under the name Nixonville in 1906; the name was changed to Nixon in 1908. The school, and most of the residents of nearby Rancho moved to Nixon by 1908; the Rancho Baptist Church followed in 1911. When Nixon incorporated in 1912, it had 1,300 residents. The railroad service was discontinued in 1970. By the mid-1980s, poultry processing was one of the leading industries. The SH 97 gift shop has a Nixon Texas mural on the side of the building. Nixon is located at the intersections of SH 97, SH 80 (Nixon Avenue), U.S. 87 (Central Avenue) and FM 1681, 41 miles east of Elmendorf, 13 miles northeast of Stockdale, 36.5 miles southeast of Seguin, 47 miles southwest of Waelder, 41 miles southwest of Ottine, 38 miles southwest of Harwood, 30 miles southwest of Luling, 28.5 miles southwest of Gonzales, 9 miles west of Smiley, and 30 miles north of Karnes City, Texas.   
Historic First Baptist Church of Nixon, Texas Historical Marker Text:
“The town of Rancho existed about one mile north of here for many years prior to the establishment of Nixon in 1906 on the new San Antonio and Gulf Railroad line. This church was organized in 1869 as a mission of the San Antonio Baptist Association by the Rev. T. Christmas and the Rev. J.H. Hines. The congregation built a small sanctuary in Rancho and remained there until 1907 when they moved the new town of Nixon and changed their name to Nixon Baptist Church. A Sunday school and ladies aid society were organized and 37 members joined the church in 1909 as a result of a successful revival service. In 1921 Nixon Baptist joined the Gambrell Baptist Association. The congregation began a long-term association with the Alto Frio encampment near Leakey, Texas, when they erected a building there in 1928. In conjunction with the building of a new sanctuary here in 1955, the congregation changed its name to First Baptist Church of Nixon. The congregation has sine established a scholarship fund for local high school graduates pursuing Baptist studies, sponsored youth activities and programs helped establish area mission churches, and contributed to the educational, moral and cultural development of the community.” 403 North Texas Avenue. 
Historic Old Nixon Cemetery, Texas Historical Marker Text:
This graveyard is the last visible reminder of the Old Nixon Community, which grew up here in the mid-19th century. The settlement was named for Robert T. Nixon and became known as Old Nixon after another town in Gonzales County took the Nixon name. The cemetery, which was first known as Stockton Cemetery, was formally set aside in the deed records by Gabriel C. Stockton. The earliest documented grave is that of Nancy McLean (1802-1867). Also interred here are members of the Nixon, Ramage, Ranft, and other pioneer families.” 
Nixon Public Library:
The library provides traditional library programs, children, youth and adult programs, summer programs, public access computers with internet connections, and free Wi-Fi. A small playground is located adjacent to the library. Open Mon-Fri,8am-5pm. (830) 582-1913. 401 North Nixon Avenue.
American Legion Post 547, Wednesday Bingo:
The legion hosts bingo every Wednesday night at 7pm. (830) 582-1317. The post is located at 580 CR 483 (Old Gillette Road), 0.5 miles southwest of Nixon.
Pilgrim Country Opry, Second Saturday, Feb through Dec:  
Supper is served from 5pm-6:30pm; music starts at 7pm. The dinner costs $6 and the concert costs $4. The opry is held at Pilgrim Community Center in the abandoned town of Pilgrim, Texas. The community center, an remodeled 1800s school, seats 150, and features an auditorium, restrooms, a full kitchen, a dining room, a stage, A/C and heat, an outdoor shade pavilion and two enclosed outdoor pavilions with BBQ grills. The Pilgrim Community Hall does not have a website; news is available in area newspapers and at the above events link. The Center is located at 12809 FM 1116, sixteen miles southwest of Gonzales. (830) 534-8499. Hall Rentals: (830) 437-2316.
Annual Nixon-Smiley Wild Hog Cook-Off & Ranch Rodeo, 3rdWeekend in Oct:
Friday night activities include bull riding and live music. Cook-off entries include BBQ pork ribs, BBQ pork, Pork not barbequed, brisket, beans, salsa, margaritas and Dutch oven desserts. Other activities include a 5K hog run/walk, kids games, a carnival, a live auction, wild pig races, and a Ranch Rodeo. The rodeo is a South Texas Ranch Rodeo Finals qualifying event. The event is held at the Nixon-Smiley Show Barn and Arena on U.S. 87, just east of Nixon. Facebook