Hill Country
2010 Census - 781
2000 Census - 839
Mertzon, Texas
Mertzon Texas History:
Mertzon and its post office were established in 1908, and named for M.L. Mertz, a San Angelo banker who was also a director of the Kansas City, Mexico and Orient Railway. The railroad built a line to Mertzon in 1911. Many area residents and businesses moved to Mertzon to be closer to the railroad. Mertzon incorporated in 1933. In 1936 it was voted county seat over Sherwood. The town’s population peaked at 950 in the late 1930s. During the 1960s Mertzon had over 100 windmills. Because the town had no public water works, residents had to use a windmill or electric pump to pump water. Today Mertzon has a public water works. Mertzon County has approximately 1,599 residents and the town of Mertzon has approximately 781 residents. Mertzon is located on Spring Creek at the intersection of U.S. 67 and FM 2469, 42.5 miles northeast of Big Lake, 58.7 miles southwest of Robert Lee, 64 miles southwest of Paint Rock, 27.8 miles southwest of San Angelo, and 33.5 miles northwest of Eldorado, Texas.
Texas Plains Trail Region:
The 52-county Texas Plains Trail Region includes the Texas Panhandle and Plains. It stretches from the Texas towns of Big Spring and Colorado City in the southern portion of the region, to Muleshoe and the New Mexico state border in the west, to Quanah and Knox City in the east, and to the top of the Texas Panhandle, from Dalhart in the west to Lipscomb in the east. The Texas Plains Trail Region organization is a nonprofit heritage tourism organization affiliated with the Texas Historical Commission. TPTR acts as an economic development initiative that helps Texas communities to promote their historic and cultural resources, and increase tourism to their areas. The organization helps promote travel to heritage destinations and historic sites. A name repeatedly mentioned in the history of West Texas is Cynthia Ann Parker, a young child captured during a raid on Fort Parker. She grew up among the Comanches, married Comanche chief Peta Nocona, and had three children, Pecos, Quanah and Prairie Flower. In 1860, a party of Texas Rangers led by Sul Ross, a future governor of Texas, rescued her and her infant daughter Prairie Flower; Charles Goodnight participated in this raid. Her son Quanah became famous as the last great war chief of the Comanche. One of TPTR’s most visible recent projects is the Quanah Parker Trail. When the project is completed, giant Quanah Parker arrow markers will have been installed in all 52 counties in the Texas Plains Trail Region. Some counties will have more than one installation. The arrows were created and donated by New Home, Texas, artist Charles Smith. As of early 2014, over 70 arrows had been installed in almost 50 counties. Each arrow will have a plaque giving pertinent historical information. (806) 747-1997. P.O. Box 88, Lubbock, Texas 79408. Email  Plains Trail Map
Irion County AgriLife Extension Office:
The Texas A&M AgriLife Extension offices are responsible for 4-H and youth programs, agriculture and natural programs, family and consumer science, and community development. They also have hunting information. They manage head start, senior citizen services, home economics, agriculture, and 4-H and other programs. If your tomatoes have blight, contact them. If you need to know something regarding a small town, contact them.(325) 835-2711. 209 North Park View. Email 
Irion County Courthouse, 1937:
Mertzon was elected the Irion County seat in 1936. The brick courthouse was designed in modern style by architect David S. Castle Company. Castle designed several wonderful classical revival style courthouses in Texas in the 1920s. His later courthouses, including the Irion courthouse, were all designed in modern style, probably due to the Great Depression. The 2010 Irion County census was 1,599. (325) 835-4361. 209 North Park View.
Irion County Courthouse, 1901, Sherwood, Texas:
This courthouse was designed in second empire style by architects Martin and Moody, and was used until a 1936 election voted Mertzon the new county seat. It is located in Sherwood, 2 miles northeast of Mertzon on U.S. 67. It is currently used for community activities, and is listed in the National Register of Historic Places. In 2000 Sherwood has approximately 150 residents.
Irion County Library:
The library provides traditional library programs, children, youth and adult programs, summer programs, public access computers with internet connections, and free Wi-Fi. (325) 835-2704. 111 W. Fayette Street, 76941.