Contact
 
 
County
Lubbock
Region
Panhandle Plains
Population
2010 Census - 229,573
2000 Census - 199,564
Nearby
Towns
Lubbock, Texas
null
Lubbock Texas History:
In 1884, the Lubbock post office was located in George W. Singer’s store in the northern part of the present-day city. In 1890, Monterey townsite promoter W.E. Rayner and Old Lubbock townsite promoter Frank E. Wheelock agreed to abandon their townsites and establish a new town. Lubbock County had been established in 1876, but had not been organized. Wheelock and Rayner circulated a petition calling for the organization of the county. In 1891, Lubbock was elected county seat of Lubbock County. By 1894, Lubbock was a marketing center for area ranchers and farmers and had a newspaper, several stores, lawyers, a dentist, three land agents, two hotels, a livery stable, and a courthouse and jail. Lubbock became a shipping center in 1909 when the Santa Fe Railway established service between Lubbock and Plainview. Lubbock incorporated that same year. Within a year it had 1,938 residents. In 1923 the Texas legislature authorized the establishment of Texas Technological College in Lubbock. Texas Technological College became Texas Tech University in 1969 and a year later added its medical school, which grew into the Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center. Today, Lubbock is a manufacturing center and is a commercial center for the ranching and farming industries in much of West Texas. The Lubbock Lake Site archeological site has become internationally known for its unique and unbroken 11,000-year-old archeological record of early man. In 1988, it was designated the Lubbock Lake Landmark State Historical Site and subsequently the Lubbock Lake National Historic and State Archeological Landmark. Lubbock is located at the intersections of IH-27, U.S. 87, U.S. 84 (Clovis Highway), U.S. 62/U.S. 82 (Brownfield Highway) and SH 114, 51 miles southwest of Floydada, 47 miles southwest of Plainview, 38miles southwest of Crosbyton, 46 miles northwest of Post, 16.8 miles northwest of Slaton, 30 miles north of Tahoka, 39 miles northeast of Brownfield, 30.7 miles east of Levelland, 36.7 miles southeast of Littlefield, 35 miles south of Hale Center, Texas.
 
Texas Plains Trail Region:
The 52 county Texas Plains Trail Region includes the Texas Panhandle and the Plains Region. It stretches from the Texas towns of Big Spring and Colorado City in the southern portion of the region, to Muleshoe and the New Mexico state border in the west, to Quanah and Knox City in the east, and to the top of the Texas Panhandle. The most northern town is Lipscomb, Texas. The Texas Plains Trail Region organization is a non-profit historical organization affiliated with the Texas Historical Commission. TPTR acts as an economic development initiative that helps Texas communities to promote their historic and cultural resources, and increase tourism to their areas. The organization raises money through donations for use in preserving historical sites, creating new and improving existing museums, and creating heritage trails. A name repeatedly mentioned in the history of West Texas, is Cynthia Ann Parker, a young child captured by the Noconi Comanche during a raid on Fort Parker. She grew up among the Comanche, married Comanche Chief Peta Nocona, and had three children, Pecos, Quanah and Prairie Flower. In 1860, a party of Texas Rangers led by Lawrence S. Ross, a future Governor of Texas, rescued her and her infant daughter Prairie Flower; Charles Goodnight participated in this raid. Her son Quanah became famous as the last great Chief of the Comanche. One of TPTR’s biggest projects is the Quanah Parker Arrow Trail.  When completed, giant Quanah Parker Arrows will have been installed in all 52 counties in the Texas Plains Trail Region. Some counties will have more than one installation. The arrows were created and donated by New Home, Texas artist Charles Smith. As of early 2014, over 70 arrows had been installed in almost 50 counties. Each arrow has a plaque giving pertinent historical information.  (806) 747-1997. P.O. Box 88, Lubbock, Texas 79408. Email  Plains Trail Map
 
Historic Chatman Hospital:
The hospital was built by Dr. Joseph Alvin Chapman in 1945. It now houses the Chatman Community Health Center. 2301 Cedar Avenue, 79403.
 
Lubbock Area Veterans Memorial:
This stunning memorial is located in Huneke Park at the corner of 82nd and Nashville Avenue. (806) 794-9006.
 
Willie McCool Memorial:
A statue created by artist Eddie Dixon memorializes Willie McCool, a test pilot for the U.S. Navy, and an astronaut who died in the crash of the Space Shuttle Columbia. The statue is located in Huneke Park at 82nd Street and Quaker Avenue.  
 
Stubb's Stubblefield Memorial:
Stubb Stubblefield owned Stubb’s Barbeque which served wonderful BBQ, and hosted famous Texas musicians including Jessie Taylor, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Joe Ely, Terry Allen, B.B. King, Johnny Cash, Jimmie Dale Gilmore, Willy Nelson and others. The juke box played vintage Blues music. The restaurant burned down in the 1980s and was not rebuilt. Stubb moved to Austin where he resided until his 1995 death. The bronze statue memorial is located at the site of Stubb’s first restaurant at 104 East Broadway, 79403. (806) 744-2787. 
 
Lubbock County Courthouse, 1950:
This modern limestone and granite courthouse was designed by architects Haynes and Kirby. An addition was added in 1968. The 1915 Classical Revival style courthouse was demolished in 1968 to make room for a street. The 2010 Lubbock County census was 278,831. (806) 775-1000. 904 Broadway Street.